Quantcast

DH Prize Advice

grizgal

Chimp
Dec 5, 2003
somerville
Okay. So I need some advice on what to do about not receiving prize $ from a race series. This season I raced a certain series that announced that the winner of the female division would win $1000. from a specific company (the owner of the company also approached us individually to tell us). A couple of the races conflicted with other series and other plans I had so I re-arranged with the earnings in mind. I hate the idea that $ was part of brought me to a couple of the races when it's all about having fun - although the series is awesome so I don't regret it. Anyway. So, when the series was over the guy who runs the series said this certain company (I don't want to give them a bad name) would be giving all of the girls big prizes. Well, nothing ever happened and I contacted the girl who owns the company. She said that she had some personal issues and didn't have any money. I feel like she should seperate her person issues from business - but that's a whole different issue. So, I'm kind of bummed that I was promised a cash prize by the owner of the company and the guy who runs the series and then received nothing. And again, I hate that I'm even bringing $ into downhilling bc it's fun whether I'm winning $ or going broke. What should I do? Drop it and realize that DH racing isn't about $...tell the owner of the company that I think it's wrong what she did and try to get my winnings....tell the guy who runs the series that he is responsible since he announced it...any thoughts? Thanks.

I don't think your being greedy at all. You arranged your schedule so you could complete the series. The series had an advertised prize list. You won the series and are due your prize, as advertised. It really too bad about the sponsor company, but that's not your problem, it's the promoters. The promoter is responsible to supply the prize list advertised. If a sponsor doesn't come through, he should take recourse. If this was a NORBA sanctioned event, I would let NORBA know about it.

Just my 2cents...

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I can see where you'd feel conflicted about this, but I agree with PsychO!1 that you deserve the prize money. Inividuals who race for a living depend on that prize money being paid as advertised, just because it's not your full-time job doesn't mean you're any less entitled to it....and that prize money might help you attend more races and keep the sport going :)

I would say start hounding the race promoters. It's their series and they should be responsible for dealing with the sponsors and getting the prize money. It is an unfortunate set of circumstances, but it's flat out bad buisness to promise something and not deliver.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Out here in the Mid-Atlantic, something similar happened with a NORBA-sanctioned DH/mtnx series--the Mid-Atlantic Cup series champions apparently never got their trophies/medals or whatever else they were supposed to get. The prizes were supposed to be mailed by December (series ended early Sept.), but it didn't happen. The promoter said there was some sort of hold-up because the resort that held the final race of the series hasn't paid the promoter.

When racers asked the promoter about it, all kinds of people got their panties in a bunch. The whole thing kinda bums me out. I was hopin' to get a trophy or something. :nopity:

Edit: A week later: I just came home to a package containing a nice plaque for the Mid-Atlantic Series Championship. It has my name on it and everything, which means a lot to someone who just started mtn. biking and racing. :)

Sorry Grizgal didn't have such good fortune.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
If the series advertised that there would be a payout for the girls, they need to own up. Did the men's division get their prize money?? If so, that makes it even more bogus that you didn't. $1000 could pay for your entire season's worth of event entries next year and then some. You earned it, you deserve. If the promoter doesn't own up, contact NORBA and the series sponsors and inform them that this series is giving them all a bad name.

grizgal

Chimp
Dec 5, 2003
somerville
Thank you all for your responses - they seem to have a similar sentiment. Contacting NORBA is a good idea - but I have a feeling they would remove themselves from the situation. I'll contact the race promotor once more and see if he'll be more proactive. The men did not have the same prize money - this was a women's pay-out from this specific company. I hate "rocking the boat" but I guess I may have to if I want to see the prize money. Thanks again for the advice.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I thought that you heard what happened. The owner in question was essentially stabbed in the back by an employee/designer, pushing back their production schedule by almost a year. The designer quit and took all of the designs to another company. In a nutshell, the company that promised the money is essentially just a name at this point. I talked with the owner in late summer and they were very upset about what happened. I am sure that more accurate details will be forth coming. I can imagine how pissed you are, but it is not the fault of the owner.

grizgal

Chimp
Dec 5, 2003
somerville
Repack said:
I thought that you heard what happened. The owner in question was essentially stabbed in the back by an employee/designer, pushing back their production schedule by almost a year. The designer quit and took all of the designs to another company. In a nutshell, the company that promised the money is essentially just a name at this point. I talked with the owner in late summer and they were very upset about what happened. I am sure that more accurate details will be forth coming. I can imagine how pissed you are, but it is not the fault of the owner.

Thanks for the input Jimmy - but that's not completely true - just talked to your gfriend about it. She'll tell you what the owner said.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
grizgal said:
Thanks for the input Jimmy - but that's not completely true - just talked to your gfriend about it. She'll tell you what the owner said.
Yes, true. Sorry. I was reminded of some things that I had previously forgotten about. The person in question did get a bad deal, but made some very poor decisions along the way that made things much worse. What has happened should have been dealt with in September. There are other relevent facts, but this is not the sort of place to discuss stuff like that.

I hope you get your money. You earned it.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
grizgal said:
unfortunately not going to happen - but thank you.
Well, you've been very patient and gone out of your way to not mention this company's name. I would let this company know and try to strike a deal with them for product worth $1000 or something equivilent. If not then you start spilling the beans about them and their biz practices. Same goes for the promoter.

No, this isn't blackmail, but simply your only negotiating power at this point. You've been under no obligation to withhold this info like you have been doing, I'd hope they could see the wisdom in compensating you what you are due.