Quantcast

DH race for road bikes

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
I like the idea of a cross bike with discs, but surely you could single speed it and then do some cnc work and make you own levers for a normal hydraulic disc setup on drops?

Save weight too on not having all the mechs and Sti's

Gears me thinks won't be important just single speed it for pretty large roll out. From the gradient I think something like a 53-14 would be the go enough to get you going without needing too much leg but a reasonable top end.

I dunno about a 25or 28 I'd look at a 23 tire but it depends on the road surface. Less squirm when you load them up.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
why save weight? Wouldn't a 100 pound bike be better for a strictly downhill (like 20% down!) race?

If there were no rules, I'd wear my motorcycle body armor and let it all hang out :D

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Tour de WHAT!?

Edit: I'd might even go full squishy on this one w/ say... 1" of travel to add some more traction.
I converted a Cove Handjob (steel HT XC mtn bike) over to a city/cross bike that I'd think might be perfect for this race. Mech discs, drops, STIs driving XTR... just need to change the front ring to include a 50 or 52T ring - something like a 52/42/34 triple - just incase there's an up in the middle :D

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
I think Joe's on the right track.

to add to that, you can turn in quicker when you don't have to fight the gyroscopic force of heavier wheels.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Pau11y said:
Tour de WHAT!?

Edit: I'd might even go full squishy on this one w/ say... 1" of travel to add some more traction.
I converted a Cove Handjob (steel HT XC mtn bike) over to a city/cross bike that I'd think might be perfect for this race. Mech discs, drops, STIs driving XTR... just need to change the front ring to include a 50 or 52T ring - something like a 52/42/34 triple - just incase there's an up in the middle :D
is it impossible for you to make a post without talking about one of your bikes? i mean really........

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Pau11y said:
Nope, not really. Why? Just because there's ppl like you I can piss off.
it doesn't really piss me off. it just makes me think that you really have nothing to offer in terms of advice other than "this is how i built my bike." well that's fine and dandy but that doesn't necessarily work for someone else. i'm sure everyone in here knows exactly what's on everyone of your bikes in your garage down to what material your waterbolts are.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Nope, haven't gotten there yet. But in case you wanted to know, I scavenged the old Magura rim brake Al bolts and used those, w/ a steel washer each ;)
There, now you know everything about all my bikes. Horay for indieboy!

BrandoAZ

Chimp
Sep 8, 2005
Watch out about mixing metals.. they can react on each other! :) It would suck to save a couple of bucks on bolts just to ruin something more expensive when the parts freeze together.....

My favorite bike piece: The single speed spacer that is a mouthwash lid ;)

And wow downhill road souns scary.. I don't want to risk road rash.. Id be about the full body armor mentioned in the one post :)

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Pau11y said:
Refer to 4 posts back...
you just talk about your bikes b/c you don't have an honest opinion to state any real knowledge to the topic you're talking about. it's ok.