Quantcast

DH race, STEVENS PASS -- snow!!

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
They did this race a few years ago in the spring. The first year it rocked the second year they raced the bikes in almost hub deep slush. If this gets us up there on the bikes all the better!!!!!

Jun 18, 2004
Where (@Stevens) was this held in the past? which runs? how much was the entrance fee?... since the stevens web page dosn't tell you this...

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Fast&Smooth said:
where does one get studded tires
Make them. Get an old tire and put a bunch of drywall screws (the ones that are flat on the top) through it (pointing out, of course). Then get a rotary tool and hack them off to whatever height you're going for (probably 1/8" max). Then get a DH tube, inflate to about 15 PSI, and you're good to go.

You can also put duct tape over the screw heads to make them a little more resistant to pushing against the tube.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The course they have run in the past has been down Brooks chair through the terrain park. It's not as much fun as it sounds. You have to hold your bike on your lap. That chair gets long and slow with a DH bike on your lap.
The first year I took studded tires. I realized after practice that that wasn't going to work to I switched to reg DH tires. I pinched the tube while changing it and realized that flat tires worked better than anything else.
The second year it was really warm and everybody went home grumpy vowing never to come back. (ie, don't go unless it's very cold)

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
I think Bart won the last race up there. I haven't heard what gate they are planning on using. Last time James Monley from Das Rad House in Leavenworth was the man in charge. Levi, S Weasle and burl already said they would head up.

Jun 18, 2004
I snowboarded there yesturday... I can't see taking by bike on that Brooks chair... if the conditions are like they were yesturday then I'm out... I might snowboard that day and stop by and check out the biking... maybe I will bring my bike just in case...

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
The races at Snoqualmie way back when were fun except the soft snow part. It was only a double chair so maybe that made it less of a hassle to deal with?
I think the race at 49 degrees north was a triple or quad chair so you had the whole chair to yourself. I think?
Sounds like fun, just remember that everyone will crash (except maybe the alien?). Just get up as fast as you can and get going!

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
trailhacker said:
Ever been to Steven's at the end or March, during the middle of the day? 35-45 derees.
Hard to stay on top of the slush?

i can't tell what point you're trying to make....the race is in december. it shouldn't be warm at all, like that other guy said for some unclear reason.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
so... what? 2.7" tires with 5-10 psi then? or just get a surly with 3.7" tires? I'm guessing it will be slick no matter what. Should be a fun ride.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Uummmm... I'll try to disect this for you.
Fast&Smooth said:
i can't tell what point you're trying to make....
You were questioning it being warm*. I was explaining to you the context? Any clearer now?
Fast&Smooth said:
....the race is in december. it shouldn't be warm at all...
Have you never been to a local ski area in December?
For December 1st (the farthest forward I could find), LOW of 32 degrees. Should be wonderful slush that day?
Fast&Smooth said:
...like that other guy said for some unclear reason.
buildyourown said:
The second year it was really warm and everybody went home grumpy vowing never to come back. (ie, don't go unless it's very cold)
Just guessing but I think his point was if its warm*, it will suck? No matter when its happens. Just guessing though.

*I guess "warm" is relative. When participating in snow sports I say anything over about 28 degrees is warm. Too warm. This should include trying to ride you bike on the snow.
IMO

Jun 18, 2004
trailhacker said:
Aren't those inversions a frikkin' trip???
I'm glad it's gone **knocks on wood**... this one reminded me of one in the 80's when I was in the 8th grade; it was around Thanksgiving as well...

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
oly said:
Are ski bikes allowed?? That would be fun.
Thanks for the heads up I might have to hit that shiat up.

No they don't that I know of. But Baker and Snoqualmie Pass does

I have been running the ski bikes for several years now:love:
and man an organized race would be sick timed dh, or ds or 4x sounds like so much fun:D

MotoXmg

Chimp
Mar 7, 2004
Hood River, Oregon
I have been trying everyday for the last week to get info from Stevens about the race and no one knows or will return my call. Think they need to get a lil more organized. If I ever get info....Hood River / Gorge Free Ride Assc will be represented!!

sad panda

Monkey
May 5, 2005
trailhacker said:
Thats a given with any sort of racing involving bicycles in the PNW?
True, but not nearly to the extent that I have seen at a Stevens Pass bdx. (To be fair, I haven't been to one in a couple seasons.)

Jun 18, 2004
I was boarding up at Stevens this week... I went to guest relations and asked about the bike race... the lady behind the front desk didn't know anything about it...

after talking to another desk jockey there they gave me this contact... I havn't been able to call him do to my Gfriend twisting her knee and going back up there on Friday for the good pow pow... here's the contact if you want to call him...

Matt Gormley
Spec. Events Mngr
206/812-7344