Quantcast

dh races in the northwest

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
There WILL be races in Eastern WA and North Idaho - - the details just haven't been sorted out yet. Silver Mountain in Kellogg will likely expand their schedule (they were the venue for the WIM finals and for Silveroxx) Stephen still needs to get together with Scott to see how many they want to host. Also, Tim at Bicycle Butler and I are putting our heads together for a couple of races at the Beacon. Stay tuned. I've also been in contact with Dean Crandall (NORBA Western rep) and he'd like to help see that one of these races (or maybe a Skibowl race or . . .?) can do double-duty as the WA State Championship event too. More to come when I have a handle on things. BTW, Winthrop is XC only now; they've decided that gravity events don't fit their "family-friendly" image :(

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Even if the race doesn't happen they will probably still do the riding day or maybe two.
With Eric (formerly of R&R) doing timing now there is a possibility of them doing a race and subcontracting the timing. Timing is the scrouge of any small race promotor!!!

downhillracer said:
i heard that last year's olympic meltdown was the last year for that race:( it would be a shame if that was it, the courses were really fun
Also, rumors have it that a local shop will try to run a Beacon race and maybe two.

Oct 7, 2005
Bozeman MT
MinorThreat said:
There WILL be races in Eastern WA and North Idaho - - the details just haven't been sorted out yet. Silver Mountain in Kellogg will likely expand their schedule (they were the venue for the WIM finals and for Silveroxx) Stephen still needs to get together with Scott to see how many they want to host. Also, Tim at Bicycle Butler and I are putting our heads together for a couple of races at the Beacon. Stay tuned. I've also been in contact with Dean Crandall (NORBA Western rep) and he'd like to help see that one of these races (or maybe a Skibowl race or . . .?) can do double-duty as the WA State Championship event too. More to come when I have a handle on things. BTW, Winthrop is XC only now; they've decided that gravity events don't fit their "family-friendly" image :(
Family Friendly? They'd know better if they grew up there! LOL. That is a bummer though. Thanks.

Gary

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
I am totally down with timing events at Silver Mt. i am even willing to discount the $hit out of the fee just to help them grow summer events. I am trying to approach this timing thing with a "work together with promoters to grow" attitude as opposed to just goudging them for whatever I can.

But Silver is going to have to get on it. My calendar is filling up fast. Our busy season picks up next weekend with a 3 day stage race in Las Vegas. Should be a blast...never been to Vegas before.

Also, it would be cool if everyone ganged up on the Silver crew and let them know how killer a weekend of riding would be if it were capped off with a phat concert up top in their 3000 seat Ampitheater. I tried to convince them of that last year and for whatever reason it did not happen.

And lastly, we should all be pressuring them to have the 8 Hr Endurance DH again. Even though the turnout was low, it was a super cool race. More than once while I was at the bottom did I see guys coming in with flats but didn't stop because they didn't want to lose ground, and then you could see the bike turned upside down in the Gondola when they went over the top on their way up. There was some real competition there!!

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
riverside73 said:
I am totally down with timing events at Silver Mt. i am even willing to discount the $hit out of the fee just to help them grow summer events. I am trying to approach this timing thing with a "work together with promoters to grow" attitude as opposed to just gouging them for whatever I can.

But Silver is going to have to get on it. My calendar is filling up fast. Our busy season picks up next weekend with a 3 day stage race in Las Vegas. Should be a blast...never been to Vegas before.
Thanks for being so accomodating, E! I talked to Stephen last week, because, to quote him, "It's never too early to talk about mountain biking." Then he admitted that he hadn't talked with Scott yet. Hopefully he has this week. I will pass along what you said about scheduling and see if I can light a fire under him.

riverside73 said:
And lastly, we should all be pressuring them to have the 8 Hr Endurance DH again. Even though the turnout was low, it was a super cool race.
Silveroxx was totally awesome. I think there were only about a dozen of us on the start line, but what a great day!:) I am definitely soloing it again. For all of you who didn't do it, it's an event NOT to be missed.
Sounds like Tim and I better talk dates with you soon for Beacon. I'll keep in touch. Thanks again!

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
MinorThreat and anyone else who is looking at hosting events this summer, please drop me a line. I am trying to get together some type of a loose series, tying all of the events together like the Indie Series does. We can all benefit from the resources we all have.

And the Broken Spoke is on for it's second year, Sept 9-10. Improvements on last year - we learned a lot and have been working on planning for a little while now.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
mplutodh1 said:
MinorThreat and anyone else who is looking at hosting events this summer, please drop me a line. I am trying to get together some type of a loose series, tying all of the events together like the Indie Series does. We can all benefit from the resources we all have.

And the Broken Spoke is on for it's second year, Sept 9-10. Improvements on last year - we learned a lot and have been working on planning for a little while now.
Matt, glad to see that you're still in B'ham (I hope that's a good thing for you :) )AND that there will be another Broken Spoke. I had to miss last year's due to a conflict with my anniversary :heart:
Anyway, I've been in contact with Dean Crandall at NORBA and he really wants to help us have a WA State Championship. The Beacon events we have in mind may not have the horsepower to do that and I haven't discussed it with Stephen at Silver yet. I know that the Western guys probably need some sort of collegiate final or something as a qualifier for the Collegiate Nats. Would you be interested in turning the Broken Spoke into a Collegiate/State championship? If so, let Dean know. He's more than willing to fly up to help pull that off.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Already contacted Dean regarding that actually. I am no longer affiliated with WWU Cycling, just the Festival and working on my own with promoting. If you are interested, maybe we can tie the Beacon events together with the Broken Spoke, along with maybe another race or two and build a series out of it. I could probably work on drafting up some type of system (based off WIM would probably work). We might be able to secure some great support as a series rather then just a few individual events. Drop me an email if you are interested, matt@brokenspokefest.com

And yup, in Bellingham through the end of the academic year, then it's on to the real world working at Safeco Insurance in June after I graduate. Bellingham has been great, sure I will be up here from time to time even after I graduate and my hope is to stay involved with the Festival for the years to come so that will keep me coming back.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
nweurosport said:
I put this calendar together mostly for the XC events so I may have glossed over some DH only events but you can follow the links to the organizers and double check their calendar. My compilation does not include the BC cup but there's a comment with a link to it at the bottom.

http://www.nweurosport.com/2006/01/18/2006-nw-region-mtb-race-calendar.html
That's a pretty cool website. Lots of info there.

Are you a WSU student or do you just live here in Pullman?

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Just got the word, the Broken Spoke Festival will be the 2006 Washington State Championship DH and XC.

I've been talking with Dean @ NORBA and hopefully in the coming weeks we will have a series of races.

As mentioned, the 2006 Broken Spoke Festival will hopefully be a big improvement over last year. Our courses are a major priority and we are working very closely with the State Park staff.

Mut

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
Renton, WA
mplutodh1 said:
Just got the word, the Broken Spoke Festival will be the 2006 Washington State Championship DH and XC.

I've been talking with Dean @ NORBA and hopefully in the coming weeks we will have a series of races.

As mentioned, the 2006 Broken Spoke Festival will hopefully be a big improvement over last year. Our courses are a major priority and we are working very closely with the State Park staff.
I'm so glad to see some people stepping up, and bringing racing close to home! :thumb: Thanks Guys!

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
It's nice to see that some DH racing is coming our way finally. However I've noticed that the only 4x (bikerx, mountain cross, four cross, whatever) track in the area is at Whister. Is there any 4x happening in the Seattle area, even if not races then a course to rip it up on with some friends?

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
h22ekhatch said:
Hmm that silveroxx is the same weekend as skibowl race. BC/DC sounds fun tho? :)
I tried pretty hard to get Silver to change the date so it would not conflict with Ski Bowl, but they were set on the date and that was the only weekend they could get BC/DC. I think in the future as they build up, they will be contacting Petr so they won't be scheduling on top of each other. Otherwise both events just turn out "watered down."