Quantcast

DH racing technique tip

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
So after getting bored enough to wander onto pinkbike, I watched the video of the day which from the worlds dh race in italy (livingo I think).
My question after seeing that is this: When given the option of getting airborne or staying on the ground, which is faster? Does it pay off to go into the air b/c of less resistance from tires on dirt, or is it better to stay on the ground where you can pedal and pick up more speed?

Thanks!

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
#2 is usually true however jumping over some stuff can prove more beneficial depending on the terrain.

Airing out big jumps gets you style points, but those don't help you win the race. Minaar seems to be able to do both pretty well though :D

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
It depends. Pro jumping - It may be faster to jump a double than roll it, and it may be faster to prejump a rocky section than to ride it.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
it is truly a balance of both, in most cases some good air will actully shave time by not having to negotiate tech terrain, but you also have instances where air would be a waste of energy and risk.

i am not about style, just the fastest way down. if it means i have to hit a double that makes me faster on part of the course i will hit it. but if i can make that portion of the course in the same time i will opt out of the energy loss and possible risk of hitting it.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Yeah, a good example of this is in earthed 4, watch Peaty at Willingen its like 21min in. There is a section that all the faster guys are airing but he sticks to the ground. But like he says its not just that part that he won on. It all depends on your riding style and skill. Thats why we have practice time, figure out what the fastest lines are for you. It's always a good idea in the morning or something to take a walk down the course with some friends and scope out lines, talk about what your thinking about doing.
I think one of the biggest mistakes when race time comes, guys just try and go as fast as they can and may miss the best lines slowing there time. That or you over exert yourself the first half and don't have enough gas to power through the end.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I usually make the decision based on the terrain I'd clear and what sort of terrain I have to look forward to once I get the wheels back on the ground. Also, if you're gonna try and "jump" a rock garden you better clear it otherwise you're in for a good rattle when you make contact.

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
It is really a case of which choice yields more speed or conserves speed. You can actually gain a lot of speed by pumping through a jump if done properly or pedaling across a flat between takeoff and landing. When you are in the air there really isn't anything you can do to make yourself go faster. Jumping is a good choice when the above conditions are not present or not abundant enough to yield more speed. Sometimes it is also more risky to jump. Remember you are being timed from top to bottom, not through one section.

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
Word, these are some good suggestions. I guess another reason I asked is that I've always wondered what the point of having a huge launching jump at the end of a course was (I think Diablo's course this past year would be an example). If there's not really any rough stuff to ride though, it seems like putting a huge hit at the bottom would slow you down more than just pedaling through to the end. Then again, crowds usually dont cheer for pedaling.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Most have hit it right on the head, jumping and big air can be a valuble asset in a race, but for the most part sticking to the ground keeps you under control, Myself i prefer to only jump in a DH race when it is beneficial to me, no cool tricks, no xups or ail whips, nothing fancy like that, but say there is a nice thrashed section that will dramatically slow me down, but can be easily cleared, go for it keep the speed. Or another situation, Your coming up on a nice roller, instead of just rolling into it drop into it pick up as much speed as possible. In short, if it makes you faster, go for it. But you need to judge yourself on your abilities vs equipment vs coarse vs personal comfort level.