Quantcast

DH riding in South America?

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
Looking into travel plans down south...Wanted to know the hot spots for decent DH. Anyone have some recommendations? Must sees? Looking for gravity fed dh.
Thanks guys,

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Chile is probably got the most to offer, with a number of lift serviced DH parks and a pretty decent National Cup series etc. There are also a lot of riders in and around Santiago that can take you up for some long shuttle runs in the foothills of the Andes.

guiepinto

Chimp
Nov 17, 2009
Brazil
I'm from Brazil and live close to Porto Alegre.
We do have many DH trails around here, which a few of them are quite nice...
Give me a shout if you are coming somewhere close to south of Brazil...

Where specifically are you going to in South America?
As posted before, my guess is that the best trails you can find in South America, are located in Chile...

In Brazil, there are only 2 lift assisted DH trails.

I also know some nice websites you can search further... And have many friends around Brazil.
I'm sure I can hook you up in Brazil...

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Bolivia- My friend Travis is part of this-

http://www.inkasadventures.com/our-tours.html
Thats Peru ;)

Bolivia has death road near La Paz but I wouldnt call that DH.

Peru has some nice spots around Lima and Cusco but nothing with lift acces as far as I know.

A friend of mine from NZ has been trail building al lot in Chile. And as said plenty of lift acces to have a good time.

Ill be travelling to central and south America myself in a few days, where will you be going?

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
Awesome info guys! I am not sure where I will be heading. Wanted to get some specific info before I purchased all of my tickets.
Sounds like Chile may be on the schedule! Once I make specific plans, I will share them and try to give some detailed dates and locations.
Fellow monkeys, your help is amazing.

Nov 29, 2005
South Boston kid guy
I am moving down to Peru for the winter in a couple days, living near Cuzco. Although I have not ridden there before I took a decent amount of time researching it and the riding looks amazing.

I will be guiding/working here if you make it around that area: www.kbperu.com

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
Awesome info guys! I am not sure where I will be heading. Wanted to get some specific info before I purchased all of my tickets.
Sounds like Chile may be on the schedule! Once I make specific plans, I will share them and try to give some detailed dates and locations.
Fellow monkeys, your help is amazing.
If you decide to come to Chile, February is your month.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
dhbrazil.ch . Also, several South American riders frequent this forum, so be patient and they'll chime in. If not, use the member search tool and find user Daniel Bender on here. He's in Brazil and has traveled all over and knows most all the goods.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Saw a lot of DH shops, bikes, and flyers in Cusco, Peru. Unfortunately I didn't get to ride but judging by the terrain it would be awesome. Endless vertical and more rocks than trees.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Take a look at Bariloche, Argentina. It's at the other face of the Andes (the Eastern one). The folks at Club Divertite will be more than happy to show you around. Another option, ran by the local credit Martín "Cepi" Raffo is Gravity Mountain Bike Park. Both stores offer excursions, DH trips, bike rentals, riding clinics, and both are located near the Cerro Catedral, where you can ride the Catedral Bike Park (you'll find both sites under construction, but you can still get the contact info).

And while you are in the zone, you could take a short trip to San Martin de los Andes and/or El Bolsón. Both places have a pretty active local scene, with friendly guys and wild DH trails. Bariloche has the best night life (it's also a bigger city), while San Martín and El Bolsón are more like small mountain towns. Another close trip option is Cerro Bayo, located at Villa La Angostura, where the 2013 World Champs will be held. Take into account I'm talking about 100 miles trips in the worst case, starting from Bariloche.

Bariloche is a must-see place by itself. The views, the chocolate stores, and the trips through the Arrayanes Forest (a one-of-a-kind place in the whole earth) just worth the trip.

I can hook you up with a couple of locals if you decide to come by Argentina. PM me and we'll see what we can arrange.

Last edited: