Quantcast

DH rig build

djb

Monkey
Apr 6, 2006
VanCity
I'm building up my first long travel bike, and I'd like a little input from the guys that've been at it for a while. I'm trying to build it on the lighter side, I've always wanted to gram count (not really sure why) so I'd like to aim for the 38-39 lb range...
Anyways, here are my idea's so far. Any tips would help!
Thanks in advance.

Turner DHR frame (05)

07 Boxxer Race

Sun or E.13 stem

Easton EA70 bars

SDG BelAir ST saddle/post

721's laced to a Hadley rear and Hope Pro II front hub

High Roller 2.35" tires (single ply)

x.9 rear shifter w/x.0 med cage rear derailleur

Ultegra cassette

MRP G2 or E.13 LG1 guide

Gravity Light or Shimano XT cranks w/E.13 guide ring

ODI lock on grips

Hope Mono 6, Juicy 7, Magura Louise FR, or Shimano Saint brakes

Wellgo MG1 pedals

Sun or Chris King reducer headset

I'm quite light at 140ish lbs, and ride a little of everything though more XC type trails will be handled on my Rail. I'll be putting on a Ti spring to help reduce the weight a bit.

Any other choices would be appreciated as well!

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
E.13 LG1, FSA Gravity cranks, Juicy 7 (or Juicy Ultimate levers with Code calipers...weights the same) and Chris King....just my quick choices.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Yeti is onto it with those options.

Look for an SDG ti-fly saddle and thomson seatpost.

Sunline make lighter lock-on grips too.

Otherwise you have a nice build.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
For the brakes i would defintly look after the Formula The One brakes,super ligth weigth brakes and super powerfull.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
E.13 stem
E.13 LG1
Gravity Gap Light crank
Juicy 7
cane creek reducer
The gravity gap cranks are heaaavy, well over a half pound heavier than the regular Gravity lights.

Also, the new Sunline stem is lighter, cheaper, and a bit more trick than the E.13 Ali. But that's just a handful o' grams different.

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
y don't you go onto sicklines.com under the weight section and check out their verified weights. It gives a good list of parts and you can see where your's fits in according to other company's parts as far as weights go.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i'd say get different tires, the minions are great but for a dh rig the 2.35s are going to be a little small. i have a set on my lighter XC wheels and they're damn close to 2.1 if my eyes don't deceive me.