Quantcast

DH rim choices

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i blasted my rear Sun MTX 36h this weekend and was looking for another option thats a bit lighter.
im a bigger rider(225lbs) who's hard on rims so thats why I originally went with the MTX's.
im not up to date with Mavic's newer rims, but the EX729 is looking like a nice bet as well as Sun's MTX 31 or 33 rim.

what else is a good option?

on another note, i have a Mavic 823(..might be a 819) where i reamed out the vavle stem hole a bit to use a tube in it and was curious if i could still use it for a tubeless setup.

thanks!

Last edited:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
i blasted my rear Sun MTX 36h this weekend and was looking for another option thats a bit lighter.
im a bigger rider(225lbs) who's hard on rims so thats why I originally went with the MTX's.
im not up to date with Mavic's newer rims, but the EX729 is looking like a nice bet as well as Sun's MTX 31 or 33 rim.

what else is a good option?

on another note, i have a Mavic 823(..might be a 819) where i reamed out the vavle stem hole a bit to use a tube in it and was curious if i could still use it for a tubeless setup.

thanks!
You can't use the 823 as tubless now as the valve is presta & is sealed with an O-ring.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
i kinda figured it would use a o-ring and id be SOL.

come to think of it now, its probably a X819, but that should still be the same problem.
would this maybe work:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38827
that will probably just pull through the hole.

I think about the only thing you can do to use that rim tubeless at this point is putting a tubeless rim string in it. Kinda defeats the purpose of buying a UST rim, but then again so did drilling it out.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I am about 225-230 and the best set of rims I have had were 729s laced up to Hadley hubs. I think I went through half a dozen single tracks before I decided to drop cash on a set of rims that wouldn't taco when I looked at them wrong.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Kinda defeats the purpose of buying a UST rim, but then again so did drilling it out.
yeah when i built the rim, it was the only thing my buddys shop had in stock. i had no desire (and still dont) to run tubeless. i just thought i might be able to

I am about 225-230 and the best set of rims I have had were 729s laced up to Hadley hubs. I think I went through half a dozen single tracks before I decided to drop cash on a set of rims that wouldn't taco when I looked at them wrong.
ill be building them on my Hadley thats been killer as always.

i think ill go with the 729.
thanks all

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
ill be building them on my Hadley thats been killer as always.

i think ill go with the 729.
thanks all
729's on Hadleys were the most bombproof combo I've ever run.

Just in case you change your mind about tubeless, with Stans strips the 729's work perfect.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
that will probably just pull through the hole.

I think about the only thing you can do to use that rim tubeless at this point is putting a tubeless rim string in it. Kinda defeats the purpose of buying a UST rim, but then again so did drilling it out.
That sure wil pull through, although if you were to use it along with the stans yellow tape, you would probably be ok, seeing thats what it was designed to be used with.

For the OP, for suture reference, if you have a UST wheel, and want to run a tube, just run a presta tube instead of making the hole bigger. Keep it usable as a UST setup. When I was running tubeless, I always kept a tube, a rag, and a Co2 in my pack for the incase of flat, I would wipe the sealant out of the tire, take the valve out, and stuff my tube in till I could get somewhere to fix it properly. Only time I ever had presta tubes for the big bike.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
yeah i know i should have used a presta tube, but i had just ordered a dozen presta DH tubes that i didnt want to waste. i had no intention in using a UST setup until i got an extra 2 from wheels that i use with tubes....so i basically have 4 DH front wheels, all with tubes

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
I had bad luck with 729's I completely destoyed three of them two summers ago before I gave up on them and went to a WTB laserdisc freeride rim and it has been great I even cased a road gap last summer and it was fine.

May 30, 2005
A$$pen
I had bad luck with 729's I completely destoyed three of them two summers ago before I gave up on them and went to a WTB laserdisc freeride rim and it has been great I even cased a road gap last summer and it was fine.
Probably a bad build or three. My WTB rim had many dents after one year, and my 729 has exactly zero after two years.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Give the Alex Supra D rims a go. They're bloody strong, a good weight and have impressed me since I switched to them from Mavic rims.

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
I've been on 729's for two seasons now. haven't really had a problem with them minus the normal loose spokes. I'm 145lbs. with gear & this season i'm noticing the blue 729's on new Shimano Saint hubs are getting out of wack easier. Or maybe it's just my riding style.

All in all, I think you'll be happy with the 729's.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
You can buy a solid metal schreader valve at NAPA for a couple $$$. Comes with a gasket and everything. Works great.

I have had great results with WTB rims. Quality has gone down a bit over the last couple years but still good bang for the buck over mavic.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Just call Notubes and ask for Mike B, or find him here on RM. They will make up a schrader valvestem that is appropriately sealed to keep everything Kosher on your mavic rim...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I have had great results with WTB rims. Quality has gone down a bit over the last couple years but still good bang for the buck over mavic.
I found WTBs cheap, light and strong, but they have (had?) the shallowest rim center I've ever used (except for Singetracks), so mounting a tire was always a bitch, and running tubeless was impossible.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
most likely not because there are no spoke holes on the outside of the rim. You might need something to seal it up tighter if you don't use UST tires, though.
cool, thanks buddy

I found WTBs cheap, light and strong, but they have (had?) the shallowest rim center I've ever used (except for Singetracks), so mounting a tire was always a bitch, and running tubeless was impossible.
the 823 i have is ridiculous to mount a tire onto because of how shallow it is.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I'm running the Laserdisc DH and FR on my race bike and the trails on my 6" bike. All 3 wheelsets are ghetto tubeless. I've been using the DH rims for close to 10 years without any issues.
The quality concerns I speak of pertain to the use of single wall eyelets vs the double walled ones used in the past. When compared to a 729, they are still lighter and last just as long.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
yeah i know i should have used a presta tube, but i had just ordered a dozen presta DH tubes that i didnt want to waste. i had no intention in using a UST setup until i got an extra 2 from wheels that i use with tubes....so i basically have 4 DH front wheels, all with tubes
sooo why couldnt you use 1 of the 12 presta tubes that you ordered? :D