Quantcast

DH season and Gas prices......

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Tattooo said:
$200 for jeans? I thought my wife was pricey!

Can someone, maybe stiksandstones, justify why I would blow $200 on denim? I thought Tommy He'llfingermyanus was expensive....
Hint: it starts with Poon and ends with Tang

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Wait, was there a kid who tried to cut into line at the Sea Otter 4x qualifiers who was heckled out of his cut. He was wearing some poontang jeans.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
ragin-sagin said:
its 6.46 a gallon here...quit ya bitchin! But I expect that to change for the better here in the near future when Oil is traded in Euros instead of US dollars...not so good for those stateside though.
A change in the currency that oil is traded on has no effect on the price. Exchange rates are already factored into the price.

I can't belive that you put up with the taxes that are being applied to your gas.

I would like to see a big effort put into ethanol and biodiesel. Not only is it renewable, it would help farmers out. Currently, the US government pays farmers not to grow crops to keep the supply from outpacing demand and bottom out the price beyond where it currently is. This would make it possible to eliminate these payments. Brazil has went energy independant and the US can too. However, it will take consumer demand to make it happen rather than government mandate. That said, I do support government funding for research into making bio fuels economical.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Biodiesel is kick ass!

I am thinking of trading my truck in, but the issue is the equipment to make your own diesel. Its about $3k for the equipment, but on the upside you can help your local friers out and it smells like fries when you drive down the road.

ChrisKring said:
A change in the currency that oil is traded on has no effect on the price. Exchange rates are already factored into the price.

I can't belive that you put up with the taxes that are being applied to your gas.

I would like to see a big effort put into ethanol and biodiesel. Not only is it renewable, it would help farmers out. Currently, the US government pays farmers not to grow crops to keep the supply from outpacing demand and bottom out the price beyond where it currently is. This would make it possible to eliminate these payments. Brazil has went energy independant and the US can too. However, it will take consumer demand to make it happen rather than government mandate. That said, I do support government funding for research into making bio fuels economical.
Ethanol is not the answere, there is a bunch of nasty biproducts that come along with it, it also requires a large amount of oil to make.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Tattooo said:
I thought my wife was pricey!
Just a friendly warning here:
You can't leave yourself wide open like that here on RM like you did with the above statement. Someone less scrupulous than myself is gonna take that and run with it. Not me though.:)

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Jeremy, that's cause you're an upstanding southerner.

And yes, she was worth every dollar. Having a wife with an MD is a close second to having a full time sugar momma. The inherent difference is she wants me to get skinny and stop sleeping with dead midgets. Its small, but significant, like me.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Mike Buell said:
Ethanol is not the answere, there is a bunch of nasty biproducts that come along with it, it also requires a large amount of oil to make.
and fertilizers/pestisides no doubt to maximize production.....

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
ChrisKring said:
Well it will have an effect on the value of the dollar, which is expected to decline even further in the next 3 months, a weak dollar will no longer dictate oil prices...thanks for the advice but I believe Bloomberg a bit more than Chris Kring. Lemme guess, you thought that a war in Iraq would have no effect on oil prices either?

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
ChrisKring said:
In USD New Zealanders pay about $0.20 a gallon more in taxes...with petrol at 3 bucks a gallon thats piss in the pot.
How can we put up with that? Remind me again how much health insurance is in the US?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jan 12, 2005
Lancashire (U.K)
Im driving a 110 Landrover Defender using vegetable oil in summer and home made bio derv when the temps drop a bit thats made from used sunflower that is waste product from a friends company.
Carries 4 of us and bikes no problems.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
ragin-sagin said:
In USD New Zealanders pay about $0.20 a gallon more in taxes...with petrol at 3 bucks a gallon thats piss in the pot.
How can we put up with that? Remind me again how much health insurance is in the US?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Yes, oil prices will go up with war in the middle east. Any instablity will create higher prices. What do you think should be done about Iran? According to an oil expert on CNN over the weekend, Iran having nukes is bumping the price $20/barrel.

And how does oil being traded in euros affect the value of the us dollar? Yes, if the us dollar loses value, the price of oil in dollars goes up.

Insurance: I am not sure how good your national health care is. However, friends of mine in canada don't like theirs. I know a guy that busted his leg on saturday while dh'ing and had to wait until tuesday to get it set since the hospital in montreal would only stabilize him. The earliest that his doctor in toronto could get him in was Tuesday. WTF?

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
ChrisKring said:
Insurance: I am not sure how good your national health care is. However, friends of mine in canada don't like theirs. I know a guy that busted his leg on saturday while dh'ing and had to wait until tuesday to get it set since the hospital in montreal would only stabilize him. The earliest that his doctor in toronto could get him in was Tuesday. WTF?
When my wife moved here from Montreal she was blown away at the service she got at the doctor's office. Granted, we have decent insurance, but she said the service in Montreal and Quebec City sucks. It's sometimes days, weeks or occasionally months before getting an appointment. She had a friend call the doctor about postpartem depression (sometimes very serious stuff) and they told her she'd have to wait a month. Canadian tax dollars at work.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Chris, there is a little thing called The Second Law of Thermodynamics. You have to use fuel to produce biofuel. On a large scale, biofuel is a lossing proposition. Trust me, I work in this field of research. Not saying it isn't a local/regional/short-term solution, but on a national/global scale is doesn't work.

The best, current long-term solution is fuel cells run on hydrogen produced from water. But even that has to follow the Second Law. Current Hydrogen economies have hydrogen being produced on off-peak waste nuclear power, but carrying around compressed hydrogen is at best a local car solution. Since the same quanity of energy from hydrogen has a much larger volume than a liquid fuel such a gasoline or diesel.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
so far this year, where we ride has seen good crowds weekend after weekend.
that came to a screeching halt here in the past few weeks.

the same with all the other ohv activity here.
they were filling up this parking lot every weekend. but it's quickly turning into a ghost town.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Doug

I am well aware of the laws of thermodynamics. You are correct that biofuel requires energy to make. With the current price of gas it is econmically feasible to produce biodiesel using electricity off of the grid for the process of creating it from soy, etc. A company is actually building a plant about an hour away from me to make biodiesel on an equivelant scale of just over one million barrels of oil per year. Yes, I realise that it is small in scale to the overall oil usage. However,it is a start.

As you stated, hydrogen fuel cells have the same problem. They require energy to make the hydrogen. The logical source is nuclear. However, the US public has a problem with that ever since 3 mile Island. Kinda funny since it is working so well in Canada and Europe. The biggest problem is the "not in my backyard" for the waste disposal. Read the newspaper out in Vegas sometime and you will understand it a little more. My Father-inlaw (who is also an engineer) toured Yucca mountain and was sold on the fact that they have the best place and he even lives in Vegas.

I guess that I am more of a "glass is half full" person. I know that given enough effort that a solution will be had.

Doug: ME or ChemEng?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Tattooo said:
Biodiesel is kick ass!

I am thinking of trading my truck in, but the issue is the equipment to make your own diesel. Its about $3k for the equipment, but on the upside you can help your local friers out and it smells like fries when you drive down the road.
no problem here
i have logged 20,000 a year on my golf TDI 40+mpg.

soon i am making biodiesel at 50 cents a gallon from
the 170gal i have saved up. with a second 14 gallon tank
i'll have a range of 1200 miles.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
those were the days.
a gas station in texas i drove by sunday.
i can remember 78 cent gas.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
ChrisKring said:
And how does oil being traded in euros affect the value of the us dollar? Yes, if the us dollar loses value, the price of oil in dollars goes up.?
It doesn't. But fuel prices have always been somewhat independent of the (de)valuation of the USD. This insulation will be gone when oil is traded in Euro's. If and when the dollar drops dramatically in the next few months (as most economists agree it will), fuel prices will sky rocket...again.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
ragin-sagin said:
It doesn't. But fuel prices have always been somewhat independent of the (de)valuation of the USD. This insulation will be gone when oil is traded in Euro's. If and when the dollar drops dramatically in the next few months (as most economists agree it will), fuel prices will sky rocket...again.
And for only the second time in history, the Canadian dollar will trade higher than the US dollar. It closed at 90.38c today, up 5 cents in 20 days. Gotta love that Bush economy!

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
ChrisKring said:
Well thats a shame, but I don't live in Canada and I am not talking about socialized health care. I pay about $25 a month (converted to USD) for full coverage (vision, dental etc) with a $100
excess. I can go to any Dr. I want, whenever I want. When I was in the states, my employer payed about 350 bucks a month and I covered the remaining 150 bucks for the same coverage with a $500 excess.
Just putting things into perspective if you want to argue about the excise tax...

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
Just read an interesting one in the Post too...seems credit card companies stand to make $2.2 billion more in 2006 because of higher pump prices. Exxon profits up 75%, Chevron 53%, ConocoPhillips 89%. I don't see anybody losing from higher fuel prices!!!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
ChrisKring said:
I don't buy it. I live in Montreal and have never waited more than a few hours (and that was because the cast guy/ortho had already left for the day and had to be paged).

I have also busted myself out of product (Ontario, PEI, BC) and never had any issues. They just bill Quebec. Maybe the Ontario stuff isn't billed back so he couldn't be treated here...but I have never heard o fthat.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Transcend said:
I don't buy it. I live in Montreal and have never waited more than a few hours (and that was because the cast guy/ortho had already left for the day and had to be paged).

I have also busted myself out of product (Ontario, PEI, BC) and never had any issues. They just bill Quebec. Maybe the Ontario stuff isn't billed back so he couldn't be treated here...but I have never heard o fthat.
Yeah, the guy got busted up at bromont in the summer of 2004. He was a friend of a friend. Looked to be in crazy pain when they left for toronto.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
ragin-sagin said:
Not just health insurance, but quite a few other services as well. I don't know how it works in NZ, but compare the cost of college education in the US and most of Europe.

xc skier

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
JRogers said:
Not just health insurance, but quite a few other services as well. I don't know how it works in NZ, but compare the cost of college education in the US and most of Europe.
The cost of education? Well it was free...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I just thought I'd make an observation here:

Many of the guys who will bitch and complain about gas prices and how much it costs to get them to a race, will be the same ones justifying in their head why they bought that Fox 40 instead of a more budget oriented fork, or a used fork, that will provide the same race results... or will be buying that brand new 2007 frame next year instead of beating on their 1-season-old frame for another year.

It's all about perspective...

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
binary visions said:

Many of the guys who will bitch and complain about gas prices and how much it costs to get them to a race, will be the same ones justifying in their head why they bought that Fox 40 instead of a more budget oriented fork, or a used fork, that will provide the same race results... or will be buying that brand new 2007 frame next year instead of beating on their 1-season-old frame for another year.

point well made.
none of us like the increase in gasoline or the inflation that ensues.
but i also don't think any of us are starving. (yet.)

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
binary visions said:

Here here.

I'll be riding a frame on it's 5th or 6th season this summer, and I'm pretty happy about that. (Knock on wood.) Not that you could do that with any 2000 frame. It's all about spending within your means.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
ragin-sagin said:
Just read an interesting one in the Post too...seems credit card companies stand to make $2.2 billion more in 2006 because of higher pump prices. Exxon profits up 75%, Chevron 53%, ConocoPhillips 89%. I don't see anybody losing from higher fuel prices!!!
and

mmaddmark said:
selling truck=buying new bike! they can keep their gas
sweet, bike industry will be have record profits, too!! (fingers crossed)