Quantcast

DH Season is upon us (in the northern hemisphere)

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Looks like the MTB Parks Pass that wife and I deferred from last year to this is money wasted, unless there's a late festivus miracle, that enterprise looks like it's over.

Considering a season pass for the first time since Mountain Creek in 2013ish I think. Likely Angel Fire as a couple of weekend trips will cover the cost versus day tickets. Local resorts we'll just have to pay day ticket prices.

Who still rides at resorts and what are you planning this summer?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If we're allowed into Quebec we'll probably visit Bromont a few times. Do want to get back to Mont Sainte Anne again - only touched the surface there last year.

Sadly, the "biggest" resort with the most vertical in the Toronto area has decided to no longer offer lift serviced riding. They'll focus on hiking and charging people to ride up the hill, instead. That leaves this area with one hill offering lift service, but it has a comical amount of vertical and sandy trails - blah, not paying, would rather just ride trails.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I got a pass to Thunder again this year. I’ll hit Killington at least a few times. Maybe Highland if I can get there midweek. Not interested in fighting the weekend lines there. I’d love to get to Mt Creek for a weekend too.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
will attempt to get some laps at thunder this year. Gonna hard pass on highland. I actually wouldn't mind getting back to jiminy if they open again. That place is all good trails.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, if BC opens up, I'd like to try and get there in August. If not, WA.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Bummed about MTBparks pass... looks like they are MIA this year

Will be doing creek and thunder mostly( 2 lifts at thunder is incredible )

Anyone have any details on camping at Killington? That always is a killer; 2 days camping and riding.

Windham and Jiminy possibly

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Bummed about MTBparks pass... looks like they are MIA this year
Sucks they seem to have folded, wife and I had 4 good years. Sucks more they vanished with funds deferred over from last year. Way beyond any ability to claim on the credit card.

I think the only other time I've had to make a CC claim was when Diablo folded pre-season after passes had already been purchased.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Got my pass for Thunder. Maybe a day or two elsewhere, but really like it there. Hope they still allow dirtbag camping in the lot.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Man I am jealous of you northern hemisphere dwellers right now, I mean skiing is coming and that's all good but I have really enjoyed racing dh this summer, I'm going to miss that over the next 6 months.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Man I am jealous of you northern hemisphere dwellers right now, I mean skiing is coming and that's all good but I have really enjoyed racing dh this summer, I'm going to miss that over the next 6 months.
Depends on where you are, like in Arizona, you can DH all winter long in Phoenix at SoMo and Goat Camp, as well as some other spots. Then in the summer you move to the high country like Flagstaff, Sunrise, NM, CO, etc. You just don't live down in Phoenix, because that's a whole nother level of misery when it's 50°C.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Depends on where you are, like in Arizona, you can DH all winter long in Phoenix at SoMo and Goat Camp, as well as some other spots. Then in the summer you move to the high country like Flagstaff, Sunrise, NM, CO, etc. You just don't live down in Phoenix, because that's a whole nother level of misery when it's 50°C.
Yeah nah, fuck that. I struggle to ride at anything above alloy 25°c and struggle to exist at 35.
We can pretty much ride year round here but the gondola closes from May to September and there are certainly no downhill races.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Gonna pick up a Triple Play for Diablo Creek this season. Highland trip seems to be coming to fruition as well.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Diablo Creek just announced they are releasing an additional 100 season passes, get on it if you're so inclined.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Sugnar and moar Sugnar this year. Supposed to have a new jump line this year, which is promising based on the builder's previous examples. Will be doing some Pisgah shuttling late next week too.
Who’s on tap? Jumpz are just about all Sugar was lacking last year to be a people-pleaser

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I bought a Killington season pass. An added pass perk is getting two free days at Thunder and Windham as well as discounted passes at Mountain Creek. The wife and I will be staying a few weeks at Killington while the kids are at summer camp.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Who’s on tap? Jumpz are just about all Sugar was lacking last year to be a people-pleaser
PJ as I understand it. His ideas about how to build a lip match up well with my preferences. Will likely get a season pass even tho I doubt I will get up there often enough to make it pay off - just want to support what they're doing. In a way I like that it's basically never crowded, but I want them to continue to invest in the mtb side of things, so more crowds will likely help facilitate that. Still can't believe people willingly drive past Sugar to get to Beech, which is a far, far inferior trail system IMO (but they do have a swanky bar at the top of the hill, so the boat shoe/nautical belt bros love it)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
PJ as I understand it. His ideas about how to build a lip match up well with my preferences. Will likely get a season pass even tho I doubt I will get up there often enough to make it pay off - just want to support what they're doing. In a way I like that it's basically never crowded, but I want them to continue to invest in the mtb side of things, so more crowds will likely help facilitate that. Still can't believe people willingly drive past Sugar to get to Beech, which is a far, far inferior trail system IMO (but they do have a swanky bar at the top of the hill, so the boat shoe/nautical belt bros love it)
I hear ya. That fast lift Sugar has now plus that good long single track trail from the very top is all I need in my advanced years.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Supposedly refunds for the MTB Parks Pass are inbound, so wife and I acquired Trestle season passes and opening day is Saturday.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
been to blue twice now, hoping for visit #3 saturday. they have added a few jump/flow trails, with a new, big jump currently being built. they need to add more DH gnar trails too.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Purgatory is 30 minutes away, going have to cut the course for sure! I guess they are having lift issues currently, but should open by July.

Super excited to be 200ish miles from Angel Fire. I have not ridden there since collegiate nationals and throwing bread rolls at Tom Danielson in '05, & '06. That place is awesome.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Purgatory is 30 minutes away, going have to cut the course for sure! I guess they are having lift issues currently, but should open by July.

Super excited to be 200ish miles from Angel Fire. I have not ridden there since collegiate nationals and throwing bread rolls at Tom Danielson in '05, & '06. That place is awesome.
A bunch of us were there last week for a few days. First lift served I'd done since 2019 as we avoided it last year. Too many runs on day 1 destroyed my hands and arms for the next couple of days.