Quantcast

DH shorts question

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
god it feels like it's been forever since i posted in this forum, but my fat ass and I may be getting back on the DH bike this year, and i wanna know what people think about choice of shorts...these'll be going over my dainese armor so i don't want any sort of liner. ideas?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Astars are good too. I usually just buy whatever I can find on sale that doesn't look hideous.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Carharts. Literally saved my testicals at north fork last year, now that's about all I wear. Hard to beat 'em for $20 and crazy durable.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I also have a pair of TLD moto shorts, which work well, other than the fact that the material isn't vented and creates crotch-oven syndrome. I also have a pair of TLD Sprint shorts that are vented, but they have zero pockets :(
Royal has a couple options that supposedly work well (have pockets, well vented, and are shaped well), that's probably my next purchase.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, they're good. As well as the vents work, in HOT weather, I prefer my old Oakleys.
Meh. I'm pretty used to wearing TLD Motos and even full pants in SoCal so maybe I'm just weird, but can't see wanting anything more ventilated.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Does the resulting pattern match your socks?

Don't blow this one. Buy new socks if necessary.
I mod the socks with the offcuts from the grips. Better internal sock-to-insole grip.

There's a knock-on effect with these things.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I figured they were either fake, or factory overruns, maybe they didn't make it up to snuff. Either way, they seem ok, although they're hot as hell.

Amazing what they can knock off over there.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I like the Nema's as well, good tough short, well ventilated and stretchy where they need to be.

I'd imagine it would be hard to find a truly crap DH short these days, however I would call anything with no pockets crap.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I have a bunch of Royal Race shorts(seems like at least one pair of shorts from each year since like 2009), and they've held up great.. The raised rubbery/plastic Royal logo has fallen off on some of them, but functionally speaking I have had zero issues. I used them for XC/DH, I actually like them better for XC than my TLD xc shorts(Don't get me wrong the race shorts are great/designed for DH) . No weird fit like some other shorts I've tried, they have pockets w/zips, good venting, and durable where it counts.. I've had other pairs of Royal shorts(not the new ones, older ones) and I didn't like them nearly as much as the race shorts, that isn't to say the new stuff isn't great, but just what I've experienced..

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
TLD Sprint or similar, or Nema podium. You want something nylon and ripstop. A slick surface allows you to slide instead of drag. I much prefer my TLDs to anything else, but the Nemas aren't bad, just too long in the leg and crotch.

I don't bother with cotton anymore, nor anything that's less than a few mils thick. Not since I got stabbed with a stick wearing cotton cargoes.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
TLD Sprint or similar, or Nema podium. You want something nylon and ripstop. A slick surface allows you to slide instead of drag. I much prefer my TLDs to anything else, but the Nemas aren't bad, just too long in the leg and crotch.

I find mine tight in the crotch, guess I'm just blessed.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
so which TLDs have pockets. I only need one zippered pocket. I like the Royal's but the older ones have a better hand, the new ones are noisy and stiff.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
the Moto ones do; two quite big zippered pockets enough for car keys, cell phone, even for a small wallet , the Sprint ones have only one but quite small, hardly for car keys and a small phone
so which TLDs have pockets. I only need one zippered pocket. I like the Royal's but the older ones have a better hand, the new ones are noisy and stiff.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
TLD motos don't breathe enough, at least the pair I had some years ago. I got Nema podiums for $40 on chainlove, both the shorts and pants, they are well made and cool your boys much better than the TLDs.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
DaKine 8 track = pass pocket, vented, burly, hand pockets. I really dislike the raised TPR on all the moto shorts. Just adds weight and comes off after a few seasons.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Shift -something- pants. They have the zippered legs so the pants turn into shorts. No real liner and has some side pockets for stuff. I wear these with my Dainese bibs

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I have a pair of the old solid black Oakley Ballistics that I absolutely loved and haven't found anything as comfy since. But I checked out the new 2013 TLD Ruckus shorts and those things are killer comfy. Want to pull trigger just to have 'em, but that's not happening.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
DaKine 8 track = pass pocket, vented, burly, hand pockets. I really dislike the raised TPR on all the moto shorts. Just adds weight and comes off after a few seasons.
Boooo, owned by Billabong, don't support those pricks they deserve to go broke.