Quantcast

DH tires

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
I'm looking for some light weight tires fo DH. I live in the Southeast sothere is a good mix of terrain. I'm running Intense 2 ply world cups, but these things are @#$%ing heavy. Any suggestions from the guys who live in the south? Thanks.:help:

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
im currently running micy comp 16f and comp 24r combo here in nc and it has been awsome. i was thinking about trying some of the schwalbe just cause there the lightest dh tires ive found. ohh and you might want to try some minion dhf's as well. from the three ive listed there the heaviest out of the bunch but they seem to work really well up here. hope that helps man.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Here is what i have for the year! Four new Michelin 2.2 comp 24's i'm planning on using on the rear of my Bullit.
-Maxxis 2.5 High Roller.
-Two 2.5 Michelin comp 16's.
-Two 2.7" Maxxis Mobster's.
-High Roller 2.35" single ply.
I'm using the 2.5" High roller DH & 2.35" Bling Bling DH now for all around riding.

Intense tires are super heavy tires.Great for rocky nasty full-on DH courses i suppose.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I'm looking for some light weight tires fo DH. I live in the Southeast sothere is a good mix of terrain. I'm running Intense 2 ply world cups, but these things are @#$%ing heavy. Any suggestions from the guys who live in the south? Thanks.:help:
For down there if you have to run DH tires I think a set of Mich Comp 24 2.2" Cut would be best for you. The 2.2" is more like a 2.35". Cuting them will help you out in the sandy mud and the C24 will roll better in the sand down there over the Comp 16.

Another option would be the Michelin Mountain A/T 2.35". Super light, rolls fast, and is a great All Mt tire. Then if you go anywhere you truly need DH tires change them out.

http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=2092004115833&codePage=2092004115833_13092004172755&lang=EN

Good luck,

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
I run intense 909 single plys . great tires , people talk sh*t about single plys in dh , but i've had no real problems. you just have to always check the pressure.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I run intense 909 single plys . great tires , people talk sh*t about single plys in dh , but i've had no real problems. you just have to always check the pressure.
Also REALLY depends on where you ride. When a 115lb girl keeps flatting single-ply tires pumped up to 40lbs+, you start to realize that single-ply has no place in DH, at least in the Northeast. Your mileage, of course, may vary...

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Guys, this guy is mainly riding around the Charleston SC area. It is flat and Sandy down that way. Its like being in FL. The real Mt. Riding doesn't start till you are in the Greenville SC to Ashville NC area. Not knocking on him or where he rides at all here, just trying to let you know what his conditions are like. He really doesn't need DH tires unless he just wants them and the extra weight. A light All Mt tire would be best for him until he drives somewhere where real DH riding is.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
get some Michelin 3 inchers. Heavier the better.

it's like riding a dirtbike

and jack your seat up too

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Why is there always bahing of intense for having "heavy" tires, when most maxxis DH tires are heavier?

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
Just to let you guys know, I'll be doin alot of riding up in Clemson and Brevard this season. Cecil, what tires have you been runnin? Sorry I should have stated where i was goin to be riding. Thanks for the suggestions.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
dont know where the topic starter is going to use them.
But my all round tyre for the coming year will be the schwalbe muddy marry. The muddy part in the name is misleading probably made up by marketing people.
http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/1356
have been riding the 2.5 dual plys during this winter and a couple of times during past summer.
Just ordered the single ply triple compound version for the upcomming year. for safety I try running them with stans liquid in the inner tubes. because I dont like the hassle of real tubeless.
The german dh champ runs them in almost every condition.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Just to let you guys know, I'll be doin alot of riding up in Clemson and Brevard this season. Cecil, what tires have you been runnin? Sorry I should have stated where i was goin to be riding. Thanks for the suggestions.
You will be fine with a set of Michelin Comp 24's 2.2". You will not need big tires in ether place. I run many different kinds of Michelin tires throughout the season. When around here (Greenville SC or Ashville NC) I usually have the Mountain A/T 2.35's (These are new from Michelin) or a set of Wild Gripper DH 2.1" (You can get these any more). I just happen to have a few pair left over from the days. When I go places like Windrock TN, Showshoe WV, NJ, Etc. I will change them out and put ether Comp 24's or Comp 16's on. It’s all about where you ride.

Hope this helps out.