Quantcast

DH Trails in Slo?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Going to be down in slo next weekend after I drop the wife off with her mom for a mother-daughter camping trip thing.

I'm supposed to meet up with some friends to ride, one's telling me to bring my dh bike, the other is telling me to bring my short travel bike and an xc helmet because there's no trails in slo that are big bike worthy and that I'll need to pedal up everything.

I really really want there to be some actual DH trails to ride, some one tell me it's true!

PS not sure how you guys do it down there, but I don't need trail names or anything like that, just a yay or nay on the big bike.

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
Depends how gnar you want to get. You could have a lot of fun on a trail bike but there are some fun runs that you would definitely want the dh sled on.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I like gnarly trails, I like shuttling but don't mind pushing up. I do not like bringing my dh bike out and feeling like it's retarded overkill and that I could have had more fun on a short travel bike.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Do either, SLO has probably the most insanely difficult DH trails in the country, and a lot of amazing epic XC. Just take your pic I guess. A 6inch bike would be primo probably. Aside from a few of the DH trails it could handle everything well.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Now you guys got me seesawing back and forth... Don't have a 6" bike, but got a 5.5" trail bike with a slack ha... Rims are like butter though.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Close your eyes and pick a bike? Or put some burlier wheels on your 6 (5.5?) inch bike. A lot of the good DH trails have a lot of traversing and hiking/climbing.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
I guess it depends who you're riding with and what trails they take you on. Most of the MTBers around here have 4-6" trail bikes which can handle the majority of trails. There are about 3 or 4 trails I much prefer my DH bike on and some that are fun with any bike. Expect loose rocks! I'd offer to show you around but I'm out of town that weekend.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Definitely NO good trails in SLO. And there sure aren't a couple really hairball DH trails there. Nope, none at all.

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
if you do come down be warned, poison oak is out in record numbers this year. other than that you'll have a good time. whatever bike you bring. but if you want to get gnarly...bring your dh.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
depends on your buddy. if he's more of a XC pedaler, just bring the 5.5" bike. if he's down to do cool stuff, bring the DH bike and don't forget your insurance card. Although...an agressive hardtail makes the tricky DH runs in SLO pretty interesting...

bikesair

Chimp
Jun 30, 2009
San Luis Obispo CA
If you can get a shuttle to the top of the west side of cuesta grade then you want to bring your DH bike. If no one will shuttle, your 5.5 will be good for pretty much 90% of our trails.

dirtboyracer

Chimp
Dec 10, 2006
Pretty much all the DH stuff has to be pushed up...and none of it is an easy hike. It's all worth it though. Most definitely actual DH. Shuttling West Cuesta would probably be a round trip of an hour or more and a bunch of gas...it's doable though.