Quantcast

DH Training?

reggaeman

Chimp
Apr 17, 2002
NV LOC
K, I race DH, DS and 4X. Latly I've really been slacking. and don't know why. I just don't feel like I wanna do it, but i really have to. Any advice on getting psyched to go out and rip and XC ride or hit the gym? I feel like I need motivation, but don't have anything?

reggae

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
Originally posted by reggaeman
K, I race DH, DS and 4X. Latly I've really been slacking. and don't know why. I just don't feel like I wanna do it, but i really have to. Any advice on getting psyched to go out and rip and XC ride or hit the gym? I feel like I need motivation, but don't have anything?

reggae
Disclaimer:
First, let me tell you that I have no formal training, and I usually don't know what's going on.

K, but I think you're describing burn out. And, when I'm burnt out, I give myself time off the bike. Maybe it's time for a little cross training. And, then get on the bike when you feel like it. Remember that the seasons' just starting, so taking time off the bike right now might be a good thing.

But, like I said, what the hell do I know?? I hope this gets you thinking at least.

reggaeman

Chimp
Apr 17, 2002
NV LOC
Originally posted by Lucee

Disclaimer:
First, let me tell you that I have no formal training, and I usually don't know what's going on.

K, but I think you're describing burn out. And, when I'm burnt out, I give myself time off the bike. Maybe it's time for a little cross training. And, then get on the bike when you feel like it. Remember that the seasons' just starting, so taking time off the bike right now might be a good thing.

But, like I said, what the hell do I know?? I hope this gets you thinking at least.
[/

Yeah, I guess some time out of the saddle couldn't hurt. Unfortunatly for me Racing is a huge part of my riding and I need to start training more so that I'll be fit enough to pedal everything, the category I'm in now won't be as much of a cake walk. OH well, have to work first race weekend anyways so i have about another month before I start racing.

spokedwheel

Chimp
Mar 16, 2002
Oceanside, CA
I find by having some kind of a drawn out plan I'm more motivated to get out and do my workout. I can then check it off, and I know that workout is done for a reason and will help achieve the seasons goals. I do bounce days around, so I don't get all stresed out about the workouts on crazy days. I just try and finish off the weeks workouts closest to schedule I can.

my $.02

reggae

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
my experience has been that when you start racing in March/April.... by October I am ready for some time off the bike... so I usually take 3 to 4 weeks adn do NOTHING.. no gym, no bike, no nothing!

but as far as finding motivation... no one can give you that, you need to find it within yourself... re-discover the reason you got into biking, find the fun again... if you're tired of racing, take a fun trip and just do some freeriding or something... try to find what it was that made you fall in love with it in the first place... and sometimes (as stated previously) all you need is some time off the bike...

good luck!!!

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
Originally posted by Lucee

Disclaimer:

[/

Yeah, I guess some time out of the saddle couldn't hurt. Unfortunatly for me Racing is a huge part of my riding and I need to start training more so that I'll be fit enough to pedal everything, the category I'm in now won't be as much of a cake walk. OH well, have to work first race weekend anyways so i have about another month before I start racing.

If you're determined to race, what Spokedwheel said makes a lot of sense. Maybe looking at a workout or ride as a small goal, and when strung together get you to your main goal.

What you're going thru made me think of last season. I had just turned pro, & by all means, should've been rarin to go. I had one of the worst seasons ever. The main reason behind that, is I had other stuff going on in my life. Make sure that you other areas of your life under control, so they don't take away from racing.

Just an observation.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Need more motivation?
Feeling burnt out but don't want to stop riding/training?

Answer: Cross-train
Don't limit yourself to just riding. Maybe start lifting weights, play basketball, etc. Do anything that will help you get into better shape and take your mind off of biking. It'll help rejuvinate your desire to ride.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Your time away from the bike should be an "active rest" cycle. Dont ride but Go running, hiking, swimming, weight lifting. not for the bennefits you will recieve from it when ou get back on your bike. but for the fun of it and to keep yourself in a peak pearformance level.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
I'm feeling this too, but it's because I'm haveing a bad start to my season. I haven't been on my bike in a week, and just thought about other things. It's kind of nice to just relax, watch movies, and do nothing (you might try these). By monday, I should be raring to go again though. Good luck!

*EDIT* I found the way!!!! Go out and ride the hardest **** you can find, DH, DS, all of it, I'm raring to go now!:thumb:

evant

Chimp
Jun 13, 2002
Fort Collins
slackin is relaxin'

I stopped competing in the MTN states cup because of burnout, and stupid expensive race fee's:angry:

gonna try the boulder SC series

--EvanT