Quantcast

Dh tubes Vs. Xc tubes?

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
My DNA is due any time now, and it comes with Maxxis Mobster 2.5's. Now i am planning to eventually swap to K-Rads, but for now just some Specialized Enduro 2.2's. The bike is coming with DH tubes, but what should i run? I only have one XC tube, so im guessing that i should just run that in the front for less rolling resistance? Or just keep them both there...

What do you run?

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
kidwoo said:
We're talking jump bikes here?

Meaning your pressure is going to be pretty high anyway.....no pinch flats........just use xc tubes.
Good call. I will just run the rear DH tube for extra protection with like abubicas (When i learn :o: ) on ledges and coming up short when bunnyhopping but coming up too shoty on things... Well see how it works out.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Red Bull said:
Good call. I will just run the rear DH tube for extra protection with like abubicas (When i learn :o: ) on ledges and coming up short when bunnyhopping but coming up too shoty on things... Well see how it works out.
I would stick with a DH tube in the back for sure. I got two pinch flats already on my hardtail-one djing/one urban. The second time I went to get a tube my LBS gave me some special police tube that is uber thick and weighs a ton. They think that DH riders like heavy bikes I think. Whatever though it works :thumb:

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
mobius said:
i run a dh tube in the rear and a maxxis ultra lite up front.
I found a rip in my tire today (Found it due to the large bubble) and just decided to keep riding it (60 psi ) and when i was just chilling, all of a sudden, bang! Empty tire...

So, i put a whole bunch of tape, and a thin but sturdy (Packaging) peice of plastic and scavanged a XC tube off another bike, good as new :dead: .

Now thats my setup...

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
Red Bull said:
you've got the right idea! You're probably going to be running higher psi on a dirt jump/street bike anyways so you don't have to worry about pinch flats. and a DH tube is something like a full pound heavier than XC tubes. Because of planting on the rear wheel and the occasional case of a jump, i'd still keep the DH tube in the rear. You don't need that extra protection in the front, so you might as well save a pound.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I run 'XC' (normal) tubes and always have. Rotational weight is ghey. One thing which really helps with pinch flats is talc! Talc the **** out of your tubes and inside of your tyres. This will decrease your rolling resistance, and help with the pinch flats. My personal opinion is that if you're getting pinch flats on blunts and abubacas, I'd look at the tyre pressure I was running rather than jumping to thicker tubes.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Red Bull said:
I found a rip in my tire today (Found it due to the large bubble) and just decided to keep riding it (60 psi ) and when i was just chilling, all of a sudden, bang! Empty tire...

So, i put a whole bunch of tape, and a thin but sturdy (Packaging) peice of plastic and scavanged a XC tube off another bike, good as new :dead: .

Now thats my setup...
Folded Dollar bills secured with electrical tape are a great repair for tyres too.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Changleen said:
Folded Dollar bills secured with electrical tape are a great repair for tyres too.
I put quite a bit of stuff in there, and so far its well, if it decides to blow again i will go with that. (No one has K-Rads in stock :mumble: )

Im riding with MX887 and the kid in his photo today, maybe we will get some pics...

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
I'm running tubes in my 2.35 launch tyres that are meant for 1.75" tyres! There's an extra tube wrapped over the one in the rear, no problems since that addition and i haven't been checking my tyre pressure.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
CreeP said:
I'm running tubes in my 2.35 launch tyres that are meant for 1.75" tyres! There's an extra tube wrapped over the one in the rear, no problems since that addition and i haven't been checking my tire pressure.
im running a 1 3/8" wal mart tube in my 2.35" dh tyre, seems to work as long as i keep the psi about 5 above the 40 psi minium

also just to prove what high psi does my friend rode a 26" tube in his 24" tire for the whole time we were at the sugar practice and comp, then the next day we rode urban, still no trouble, did i mention it was an ultra thin xc tube?