Quantcast

DH vs. MX

Just a thought but if you were riding a downhill bike and a dirtbike on the same trail what would you say is more dangerous. I would say DHing because when even I hit a big rock or rut going really fast it can really throw me off balence or even my bike, but on a dirt bike you ride through ruts and hit rocks and it doesn't affect you much.

what do you guys say?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
ya but I find that and mx bike takes alot more of the hits for you, btw do you actually ride a dirt bike because I want to know from experience.
yes. I raced harescrambles for a few years when I was younger and Ive raced DH. DH simply does not compare. End of discussion. Yeah, the suspension is better on a dirtbike, but you're going way faster, higher off the ground.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
I think there some situations where the extra weight of a dirtbike might pull you through some tough stuff..as far as dangerous they would be pretty close in my book all it takes is a wrong landing and you are going to be lumped up...I don't get higher off the ground.????..

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I think there some situations where the extra weight of a dirtbike might pull you through some tough stuff..as far as dangerous they would be pretty close in my book all it takes is a wrong landing and you are going to be lumped up...I don't get higher off the ground.????..
dude, think about the structure and dynamics of the motobike. You've got more travel, more weight and a higher CoG. Sound like more work to and a higher penalty for failure to me.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
Hmmm.... Let me think!!! Crashing going 60mph and having a 250lbs bike fly at you OR.... Crashing at 30mph and having a 45lbs bike fly at you.

Which one do you think will hurt more???

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
how many guys get hurt on here..?? from riding mountainbikes??seems like there are quite a few stories..he did not ask which is more dangerous in general he asked about a certain trail and how the two react different...I am just trying to say that anything can be dangerous if you are not carefull....I have a few scars from dirtbiking and a few scars from bicycles...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have two burn marks on my left leg from my Husaberg. My Iron Horse has never burned me.

Also, when I dump my IH, the chain stops spining, not so on my Husaberg. So there is a huge risk of getting caught in some crap there if you're not careful.

Browns Camp has both bike and moto trails. You can't ride a bike on the moto trails because the ruts are HUGE.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Ok your riding the same trail and your MTB crashes on you. Happens to me all the time I just throw it off and keep truckin. What about you 250lb Moto that is Hotter then hell crashes on you.

The ruts on A-Line arn't that bad. I can't even think of any really.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
I have been riding and crashing dirtbikes for thirty yes THIRTY years not once has a dirtbike fallen on me, but yes if it did it would probably hurt....got me there.......

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
I have been riding and crashing dirtbikes for thirty yes THIRTY years not once has a dirtbike fallen on me, but yes if it did it would probably hurt....got me there.......

You're very lucky then!!! A friend of mine had just gotten into MX. We went fo a weekend trip and he had a Slow speed tip crash. His hot bike landed on his Knee Burned the hell out of him and Shattered his Knee. He dosen't ride anymore:disgust:

I learned a while ago that the Dif. between MX and DH is this. You brake bones riding DH you Shatter Bones riding MX.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
usually I get thrown into trees..dammm that hurts my right shoulder still makes funny noises from a crash a year and a half ago...we were riding earlier this spring and we were at a hill the hill from hell we call it know..ha..ha...I watched my nephew fall of his bike and sure enough the bike did a little tumble and the front end of the bike hit him square in the back of his head..it was like slow motion watching it...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
do you ride in shorts.????:banghead:I have a few burns from the streetbike this year..
I was in shorts the first time, the second time it burned me through my moto pants when I laid the bike down. My left leg was under the bike as I slid and the pipes were just above my boot.

I have burn holes in my snow pants, my thermals, and my moto pants all in the same spot. The FC model (motocross) comes without heat guards, so the pipes had melted crap on them from my left calf.

I do like to ride in shorts though, I hate pants.

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
Dirt bikes are way more dangerous in any conditions... got a few ex dirt bikers friends, with both wirst broken, one has a titanium plate in his head, broken knees, and the worst says that in a competition he fall at the landing of a ramp, when he tried to stand up another bike fall in his back which made a litthe part of the pelvis come out of the flesh.
ouch

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
DH vs MX? For me Motorcross(MX) is a hair more dangerous.

DH vs Grand Prix/Harescrambles/Trails racing? No contest, DH is more dangerous.

Objects and events that would cause a MTB grief is barely a thought on a motorcycle (MC).

If you rock at DH, and can't ride a MC worth a crap, then MC will be more dangerous. ;)

MC's are more stable vehicles thru the rough. IF you don't beleive me then you haven't been riding long. :D I spent 3-4 seasons (Bad crash in there somewhere) racing DH bikes and was "freeriding" my converted XC FS rig the 4 years before that. A MTB will bounce/deflect/put you on your head so much easier than a MC it isn't funny, BUT that is part of the sport and excitement of MTBing. Wouldn't change a thing...apples to oranges.

In my 26 years of riding MC's offroad and almost 10 years of semi-serious/recreation MTBing.....MC have kept me out of trouble more than MTB's.

I suck at MX....never liked jumping. :D So I am my own worst enemy on a MX course. You will probably never see a faster guy on a MX track that does not leave the ground than me! :D

I think it is funny when people start talking up the weight of a MC and the heat from teh engine and chain grabbing stuff.....

You have just as much chance of burning yourself with a rotor, getting your hand stuffed in your wheel, empailing yourself with your handlebar...snapping your neck with you seat as you go over the bars. :rolleyes: "What if's" that rarely (if ever) happen.

Rhino

PS- You are comparing apples to oranges. They are both fruit (dangerous) but one is just more acidic (accident prone). And in my multi decade experience MTBs are more acidic. lol :)

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I grew up racing both motocross and bicycles (BMX then DH). I'd say they are pretty equal. I go the same speed on both bikes. The motorcycle is heavier, but I'm also always wearing more protection, with my moto boots, helmet and body armor.

An average crash on a DH race course will probably hurt more than tipping over in a corner on a MX track. Moto tracks are tilled up dirt. DH courses are rocks, roots, and trees. Getting run over by other bikes in a motocross race really sucks though.

The original question mentioned both bikes on the same trail. I'll use the downhill section of Jones Creek in Camas, WA where DH races are held, but the whole park is open to motorcycles, as my example. The trail is steep, rocky, and has many tight corners. DH bikes are far faster on this trail than the dirt bikes. Hmmm, which is more dangerous though? I've never in my 30 years of riding been pinned under a motorcycle or had it tip over on top of me. I have clipped a step-up jump, went over the bars, and had the dirt bike land on me though. Just once.

I rode an organised practice day at Washougal Saturday. That was hella fun. I pretty much rode my CRF 250r just like my ShockWave 9.5. At the end of the day I was far more worn out than I have ever gotten from riding bicycles. Hell, I'm still sore.

Jimmydean, we should go ride. I'm going to HindsightMX the indoor arenacross place tonight. I'm gonna meet up with my younger brother and pound out some laps. Oh yeah, Tuesday is "Ladies Night", so there'll probably be a lot of girls there.

Tim

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Jimmydean, we should go ride. I'm going to HindsightMX the indoor arenacross place tonight. I'm gonna meet up with my younger brother and pound out some laps. Oh yeah, Tuesday is "Ladies Night", so there'll probably be a lot of girls there.

Tim
I would love too, but I sold my bike last weekend to fix my truck. I will be getting another this winter for sure, but I will be moto-less until then.

I haven't ever been to Hindsight, but it's only about 20 mintes from my house (or less). I live in Forest Grove, so North Plains is just down the road and over the highway.

All my times on a moto have been at either Browns Camp, or Bend.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I would love too, but I sold my bike last weekend to fix my truck. I will be getting another this winter for sure, but I will be moto-less until then.

I haven't ever been to Hindsight, but it's only about 20 mintes from my house (or less). I live in Forest Grove, so North Plains is just down the road and over the highway.

All my times on a moto have been at either Browns Camp, or Bend.
My brother and mother live in Forest Grove. My brother Jamie works at that little car lot across the street from McDonalds.

You should swing over to Hindsight tonight between 6 and 9. It's free to get in and there is great spectating from the balcony. It's really a cool place. I'll be on the CRF 250 #326 with black and red Shift gear. My brothers on a CR 250 #737, if he's got his numbers on there.

Tim

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I grew up racing both motocross and bicycles (BMX then DH). I'd say they are pretty equal. I go the same speed on both bikes. The motorcycle is heavier, but I'm also always wearing more protection, with my moto boots, helmet and body armor.

An average crash on a DH race course will probably hurt more than tipping over in a corner on a MX track. Moto tracks are tilled up dirt. DH courses are rocks, roots, and trees. Getting run over by other bikes in a motocross race really sucks though.

The original question mentioned both bikes on the same trail. I'll use the downhill section of Jones Creek in Camas, WA where DH races are held, but the whole park is open to motorcycles, as my example. The trail is steep, rocky, and has many tight corners. DH bikes are far faster on this trail than the dirt bikes. Hmmm, which is more dangerous though? I've never in my 30 years of riding been pinned under a motorcycle or had it tip over on top of me. I have clipped a step-up jump, went over the bars, and had the dirt bike land on me though. Just once.

I rode an organised practice day at Washougal Saturday. That was hella fun. I pretty much rode my CRF 250r just like my ShockWave 9.5. At the end of the day I was far more worn out than I have ever gotten from riding bicycles. Hell, I'm still sore.

Tim

Doesnt the part I bolded pretty much sum up this argument? Why would you wear more protection?

BECAUSE ITS MORE DANGEROUS!

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
What do you mean by dangerous? I think it means the likelyhood of injury. I always wear all my gear when I fire up my dirt bike, but I'll cruise my neighboorhood and jump stairs on my bike and sometimes go dirt jump while wearing no helmet or any protection.

Since I got my new CRF I have not had any injury whatsoever, but I currently have scabs, scrapes, and a messed up left hand from riding my bicycles. For me bicycles have been more dangerous.

Both are hella fun and anybody can get hurt doing anything. Kind of a dumb topic.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Doesnt the part I bolded pretty much sum up this argument? Why would you wear more protection?

BECAUSE ITS MORE DANGEROUS!
Easy tiger :cheers:

The facts are: (as they relate to me)

DH is more dangerous, because they are lighter and you wear less protection (actually other than boots I have the same gear)

:busted:

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Easy tiger :cheers:

The facts are: (as they relate to me)

DH is more dangerous, because they are lighter and you wear less protection (actually other than boots I have the same gear)

:busted:

I am the exact opposite. I ware No Body armor for MX Just a Full Face, Jersey, MX pants, crapy Knees and alpinestar boots. I ware a full suite for DH. Don't race MX so no need for a roost guard because they don't protect you they just stop roost. My Suite would prob. be a good idea.

Kind of funny now that I think about it.