Quantcast

DH World Cup #1 - Maribor, Slovenia. LIVE THREAD

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007
they're all looking pretty sick. Only thing missing is Wyn. We need more Wyn! He's good to watch and always good for a laugh. He's riding LaPierre this year right? But not on the LaPierre corporate team?
I agree, WynTv is where it's at! haha. He has a blog; http://wynmasters.blogspot.com/
I believe he is riding for Kenda Playbiker with Rankin and O'Connor.
The guy is hilarious, and freaking fast!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I realize that and I realize that I am not a WC pro nor can I perceive how a bike would handle at that speed. Nonetheless it was cool to hear the numbers. Who was it that had 49" wb bike? There is no way I could ride a bike with that wb.

Heck, when you reach WC status on a team like Specialized or Santa Cruz I would expect that you would get custom geo.
There was a reference in a Santa Cruz vid or interview a few weeks back stating that Minarr (sp?) and Peat were told they had certain custom geometry, but were just lied to by Santa Cruz designers to how they'd do on virtually the same layout? Anybody besides me catch that and remember what it was they tricked them about.

Point being, it was funny to see team guys get "not custom" custom frames.:D

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
personally I find Special Ed's practice ridiculous, but as Transcend says above, the secrecy causes people to talk even more about the Demo and therefore under the America 2010 model of consumerism -- all consumer attention is good for the seller of the product in question.
Yes, but a company has to build the hype and then deliver while the e-nerds are still salivating. Wait too long and their attention will drift back to the latest DW invention. Look what happened to Corsair. I think the same would have happened to Turner if DW wasn't involved.

That's one reason I'm convinced this new 2011 Demo will be unvieled at Crankworks. I think the bike is close to production. But, I've been wrong once before.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Interesting. Shouldn't he be DQ'd for re-entering the course at a point other than that where he left it?
I wouldn't say so, I think people can use some common sense if someone has clearly lost a lot of time in a crash already? What about at Champery? How many people who crashed there climbed back up the hill to avoid cutting in at a different point?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Took me a while to find it:

"4.1.035 If a rider exits the course for any reason, he/she must return to the course at the same point from
which he/she exited.
(text modified on 25.09.07)."

So maybe I'm wrong. Personally I'd hate to see Hill stripped of his position for this infringement, and I think all of the top riders and his competitors would agree.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Took me a while to find it:

"4.1.035 If a rider exits the course for any reason, he/she must return to the course at the same point from
which he/she exited.
(text modified on 25.09.07)."

So maybe I'm wrong. Personally I'd hate to see Hill stripped of his position for this infringement, and I think all of the top riders and his competitors would agree.
Why is that? What's the purpose of the rule? To bust anyone but Sam Hill?

If the rule sucks and everyone disagrees with it, then the rule should be deleted, or changed to reflect what all the riders agree upon.

Here's a good question: If someone cut the tape on a corner that slows everyone down, and won by a good margin as a result, should the rule infraction be ignored if the rider in question is a "fan favorite"?

Not saying that's the same, but the spirit is the same: ignoring a rule infraction because someone is a "fan favorite".

What's the point of having rules for racing? To bust people who are unpopular? Or to level the playing field for fair competition?

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Why is that? What's the purpose of the rule? To bust anyone but Sam Hill?

If the rule sucks and everyone disagrees with it, then the rule should be deleted, or changed to reflect what all the riders agree upon.
No I'm clearly not saying that should be the case. I think discretion and common-sense should be applied.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
No I'm clearly not saying that should be the case. I think discretion and common-sense should be applied.
You're posting on ridemonkey, you should know better. :rofl:

Slowitdown- I'm pretty sure if any wc competitor had the same thing happen that the officials would let it slide. It's pretty obvious the rider in this case is not gaining anything by going off course in the first place.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
You're posting on ridemonkey, you should know better. :rofl:

Slowitdown- I'm pretty sure if any wc competitor had the same thing happen that the officials would let it slide. It's pretty obvious the rider in this case is not gaining anything by going off course in the first place.
Yeah, I hear you, and I understood that part in Seb's post. That's why I said: if everyone agrees the rule sucks, then it should be changed or deleted.

I asked a provocative question because as far as I've witnessed, everyone loves Sam Hill. And the rules exist to make things fair, no? I think it would suck to see the rule enforced against a disliked rider but ignored against a well-liked rider, wouldn't it?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I asked a provocative question because as far as I've witnessed, everyone loves Sam Hill.
As a fan of Sam I would say you couldn't be further from the truth - he has just as many haters. I also seriously doubt that his fandom extends to race officials, though I could be wrong.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
As a fan of Sam I would say you couldn't be further from the truth - he has just as many haters.
Gosh, really? Wow! I am shocked!

I also seriously doubt that his fandom extends to race officials, though I could be wrong.
I was commenting on Seb's post about giving him a break on rule enforcement. I was not imagining I know what race officials think. Come on, try to keep up.:shocked:

Last edited:

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Wow, based on the comments I thought he pulled a Chad Reed and cut 100 yards of the course. It was like 10 feet max. I can't believe anyone is arguing that he cut the course. :rolleyes:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
well if Sammy would have gotten back on course, it would have put him farther down in points behind Steve Smith and Aaron Gwinn. doesnt seem like much now, but if the points race was as close as it has been in the past, it could make a difference

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Yeah, I hear you, and I understood that part in Seb's post. That's why I said: if everyone agrees the rule sucks, then it should be changed or deleted.
I thought about that too- Obviously you can't remove the rule entirely since that would make it legal to cut the course, so the only things that could be done would be to either

A. enforce the rule to the letter - which would sort of make racing in gnarly low traction conditions less exciting to watch and difficult to enforce as you know that if someone slides off the course a little, they're already out of the running for the podium and there would probably be arguments about someone's outer edge of side knob was seen in a picture a tourist who happened to be standing next to the race taking pictures of local wildlife passing within 2 mm of the outer edge of the course tape when the wind blew it in a southerly direction toward the track while they were passing on their qualifying run.

B. Modify the rule to make it ok to re-enter the course somewhere else only if there was a crash - which would get some really competitive people to start eyeballing "crash" lines across the tape

or

C. Leave the rule the same and just use common sense and good judgement when enforcing it - which would result in some really OCD/anal retentive people on ridemonkey bitching about it online.

I like C the best.

Last edited:

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Wow, based on the comments I thought he pulled a Chad Reed and cut 100 yards of the course. It was like 10 feet max. I can't believe anyone is arguing that he cut the course. :rolleyes:
not even. the time he would have gained or lost by entering the course where he did instead of where he left is negligible... I mean we're talking on one side of the tree compared to the other. It's not like he cut a corner and didn't ride a good 5+ second part of the track. what about this one? he did it last year? he's such a tape cutter..

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
not even. the time he would have gained or lost by entering the course where he did instead of where he left is negligible... I mean we're talking on one side of the tree compared to the other. It's not like he cut a corner and didn't ride a good 5+ second part of the track. what about this one? he did it last year? he's such a tape cutter..
I don't think he went off course on that one... :rolleyes:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

I asked a provocative question because as far as I've witnessed, everyone loves Sam Hill. And the rules exist to make things fair, no? I think it would suck to see the rule enforced against a disliked rider but ignored against a well-liked rider, wouldn't it?
It does happen all the time at world cup racing; it just usually isn't caught on film. It gets overlooked and enforced about as strictly as this...ie: it doesn't. He clearly did not gain an advantage. As hard as it is to believe, the UCI officials really do have some common sense.

lumpygravy

Chimp
Sep 4, 2008
We have to watch out for these strategic racers who jump of their bike at 20mph, get up, walk round a tree, and cut the corner, it is clearly the fastest way down a course. If we are not careful the only way to win a race will be to crash on every single corner, it will happen mark my words.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
As I said in the other post is in between 17.1″-17,7″. Depends on what they are riding ;).
Cesar, quick question.
On the dirt vid page (I think it was you) posted that the Mondraker was a stock frame.
On Mondraker's site it says the wheelbase is 121cm (47.6") but they say in the vid its 49", which one is correct?

Seems like a silly question I know.
Thanks!

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
Cesar, quick question.
On the dirt vid page (I think it was you) posted that the Mondraker was a stock frame.
On Mondraker's site it says the wheelbase is 121cm (47.6") but they say in the vid its 49", which one is correct?

Seems like a silly question I know.
Thanks!
The dude also said it had a 14" chainstay....I think he just struggled with those crazy imperial units!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
We have to watch out for these strategic racers who jump of their bike at 20mph, get up, walk round a tree, and cut the corner, it is clearly the fastest way down a course. If we are not careful the only way to win a race will be to crash on every single corner, it will happen mark my words.
Sssshhh!!! Don't tell everybody Sam's secret to large winning margins. :weee: ;)