Quantcast

DH9 Problems?

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
Alright so I finally got all of my parts together to start building that shiny new DH9 frame that has been sitting in my room, but I have a big problem now. So I was putting everything on, and it was all going just great, headset, BB etc went in fine. Then I went to put the deraileur on, I started threading in straight and everything and it felt perfectly smooth going in, then all of a sudden it just stops. Now something like a deraileur goes in easy so I didn't budge it and took it out. I didn't thread it very far but the amount I did thread in stripped the threads in the hanger. So now for those of you who are not familiar with the Yeti DH9 it does not have a replaceable deraileur hanger, it is all one piece of the swingarm. So, any ideas on fixing the threads or any ideas on how to get the deraileur in there so it doesn't destroy the entire frame. Thanks for any suggestions.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
A decent local bike shop should be able to do this too. I've done plenty.

Wheels Manufacturing also makes a small repair kit which involves drilling out the striped threads and putting a sleeve in from the back side with new threads for the derailleur. Similar to the helicoil, but a variation. Your LBS may suggest this as an alternate option.

They both work.

(edit: oops... I didn't see that it was a brand new frame.... talk to Yeti first)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by DsDhBxracer13
Alright so I finally got all of my parts together to start building that shiny new DH9 frame that has been sitting in my room, but I have a big problem now. So I was putting everything on, and it was all going just great, headset, BB etc went in fine. Then I went to put the deraileur on, I started threading in straight and everything and it felt perfectly smooth going in, then all of a sudden it just stops. Now something like a deraileur goes in easy so I didn't budge it and took it out. I didn't thread it very far but the amount I did thread in stripped the threads in the hanger. So now for those of you who are not familiar with the Yeti DH9 it does not have a replaceable deraileur hanger, it is all one piece of the swingarm. So, any ideas on fixing the threads or any ideas on how to get the deraileur in there so it doesn't destroy the entire frame. Thanks for any suggestions.
I'd be asking Yeti what they figure you should do about it being a brand new frame and all. Or the place that you bought the frame. They will probably tell you to get it helicoiled but....

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Just helicoil it. Its stronger and will hold up better than aluminum threads anyway. There is no need to get it replaced.

BTW, my DH9 is in route to me as we speak...er write. :D

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
consider yourself lucky to have a non replaceable hanger because yeti's replaceable hangers are made of cheeze, they bend just looking at them. If I were you I'd just get real mad and smash stuff with a hammer then ask for opinions here.

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
Guys thanks for the info I will see what my LBS says. Our team is sponsored by Yeti so I have already written them an e-mail so I am waiting to hear back on there I ideas. The heli coil sounds like the best option but I'll see what the LBS says. Also like someone said what about threading it in backwards, does that actually work.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by DsDhBxracer13
Guys thanks for the info I will see what my LBS says. Our team is sponsored by Yeti so I have already written them an e-mail so I am waiting to hear back on there I ideas. The heli coil sounds like the best option but I'll see what the LBS says. Also like someone said what about threading it in backwards, does that actually work.
It can work, but it's better to use a tap and do it properly. Then try and hang your der. on there, if the threads are still to jacked to hold it tight and true its time to helicoil it, or use what Peter was saying, which I believe most people call a dropout saver. I'd ask Yeti which they recommend, or let them do it.