Quantcast

dh_girlie Newz: Star Wars Geeks line up -- Infront of WRONG theater..!!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Inside Move: Fanatics laying it on the line
'Star Wars' fans stew in queue
Variety.com | 5 Apr | GABRIEL SNYDER

If a movie isn't playing at a theater, will its fans still line up outside? For "Star Wars" fans, the answer is a befuddling yes.

Saturday, 46 days before "Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith" opens on May 19, the trilogy's enthusiasts began their vigil outside Grauman's Chinese Theater.

Problem is 20th Century Fox doesn't plan to open the film at the Chinese, opting instead for the ArcLight a few blocks east.

"Star Wars" or no, the diehards are resolute about keeping their line on Hollywood Boulevard.

Underneath a make-shift awning yesterday afternoon, 11 people were in line doing what appeared to be homework, pecking at laptops and talking to members of the media.

"We've heard all this before," said Sarah Sprague, one of the designated spokesmen for the group. In 1999 and 2002, there were plenty of rumors (ultimately false) that the previous two pics weren't going to open at the Chinese.

This year the rumors seem to be true. Fox and the ArcLight haven't finalized their "Star Wars" deal, but execs on both sides say they expect "Revenge of the Sith" to play the ArcLight and not the Chinese.

A media-savvy bunch, those waiting at the Chinese hope press interest in covering (and most likely mocking) them would persuade George LucasGeorge Lucas and Fox to move the booking.

And Sprague was adamant the line isn't moving to the ArcLight. "This is still the epicenter for 'Star Wars' fans. For the big iconic pictures of the 1970s, people lining up were here. They weren't at the Cinerama Dome."

Their other reason is that it'd be more difficult to raise money for their charity Starlight Starbright if they weren't on Hollywood. However, cops won't let fans collect donations from passersby; instead, they pass out pamphlets with a Web site address.

"Even if it's not here, we'll just go see it somewhere else. We're not doing this just for the movie." Besides, she added, "What's the point of lining up at the ArcLight if someone is going to go online and get the best seat in the house?"

But wouldn't that still make more sense than spending a month outside a theater that isn't playing the movie?

"Lining up for anything, what part of that makes any sense?" she responded philosophically.

As theaters normally do, the ArcLight is likely to ask Fox that it be the only theater playing "Revenge of the Sith" in the immediate area. And even if it doesn't, Paramount confirmed it will open "The Longest Yard" at the Chinese the week after "Revenge," which means Fox won't want to book the theater for just one week. (Paramount partly owns Mann Theaters.)

The kerfuffle has inspired some soul-searching among the fans, and they have discovered that standing in a "Star Wars" line is actually more important than seeing a "Star Wars" film.

"The telling thing is -- for me, at least -- if the film is not playing at the Chinese ... I have zero desire to see it at all," a fan who calls himself Obi Geewhyen posted on the message board at Liningup.net. "I'm in it for the lineup only and don't give a darn about the conclusion of this lackluster, so-called 'Star Wars' series."

Hope springs eternal, Sprague said. After the last two "Star Wars" films, "We're all a little beaten down," she said. "But this one could be it!"

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I haven't lined up for anything since spending the night for Rush concert tickets in like 1991. Since Gore invented the intarweb the whole lining up thing just doesn't make sense. :p

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Well if the geeks are wrong on Opening night, I'm sure they'll get it right the 100 times they do see it.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
reflux said:
I hope Triumph the Insult Dog makes another appearance...

Oh me too...that was about the funniest thing ever...

What a bunch of f'n geeks...I mean...that's cool if you want to see the movie...hell it's even cool if you wanna bring some beer and wait in line a couple hours before the movie...but a friggin month ahead of time in front of the wrong theater...tools...

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Dartman said:
They really shouldn't come out of mom's basement. :think:

Mike

Well...maybe we are all being a little harsh on these dorks...I mean...they're never gonna get laid so they might as well do something they think is exciting...even if it is standing in front of a theater that isn't going to play the movie dressed in a darth vadar costume with all the other dorks...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
dh girlie said:
Well...maybe we are all being a little harsh on these dorks...I mean...they're never gonna get laid so they might as well do something they think is exciting...even if it is standing in front of a theater that isn't going to play the movie dressed in a darth vadar costume with all the other dorks...
having known some scifi club types (no, i'm not one of them -- i'm a music nerd) they get laid with each other. kinda a gross concept :dead:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
dan-o said:
Hence, Star Trek "The Next Generation".

F-ing dweebs.
hey now, somewhat "normal" people can like ST:TNG... :D

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Skookum said:
Ahahaha

i can't wait to see Star Wars episode III on the second day on a matinee when there are no geeks. :)

i don't have ANY star wars memorbilia but i want to pay top dollar for this card. Yes it does exist, it's a misprint, and it's funny as hell!
http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/c3po.htm#add

bwhahahahahahahahahaha...

the c3po "john holmes" edition... definately a connoisseur comodity...

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Wow, that lineup.net place is scary :dead:

Its an organized line, and they have rules and stuff:

# A Minimum $50 donation to the Starlight-Starbright Children's Foundation is due by May 4, 2005.

* If you sign up after May 4, 2005, the minimum $50 donation is due immediately upon registration.

[FAQ]

# You must be at least 16 years old to join.

* If you are between the ages of 16 and 18, you need written permission to join from a parent or guardian.

[FAQ]

# If you live within 250 miles of Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood, California, you need to accumulate at least 72 Hours in Line before 8:00 a.m. on May 18, 2005.

If you live further than 250 miles from Hollywood, California, you need to accumulate only 48 Hours in Line before 8:00 a.m. on May 18, 2005. Proof of travel and/or residence will be required.
[FAQ]

# You are responsible for purchasing your own ticket to the opening show of Episode III. You need to be in Line with cash in hand when tickets go on sale.

* If you cannot be in Line at that time, you must make arrangements with another member of the Line or any member of the Logistics Team to purchase tickets for you.

[FAQ]

# You need to be in Line for the final 24 hours before Episode III opens.
[FAQ]

# In order to accumulate Hours in Line, you must Sign In and Sign Out when you come and go.
[FAQ]

# You can only be gone from the Line without Signing Out for half an hour.

* If you are gone from the Line for more than half an hour without Signing Out, you may lose all the Hours accumulated since the time you last Signed In.

[FAQ]

# There can be no harassment, intimidation, violence or threat of violence towards any member of the Line.

# There can be no damaging, breaking, stealing, or purposefully messing up of any stuff that belongs to any member of the Line.

# There can be no consumption of alcoholic beverages or recreational drugs while in Line or in the immediate vicinity of the Line.

# Your Total Hours in Line will determine your place in Line - both for the opening of the movie, and for the purchase of tickets. The more Hours you have, the closer to the front of the Line you will be.
[FAQ]

# You can gain Hours only by waiting in Line. One hour in line will gain you one Hour towards your total Hours. There is no other way to accumulate Hours. Hours are not transferrable.
[FAQ]

# Although the adjacent Grant Parking Lot is generally considered to be within the bounds of the Line, the inside of any vehicle parked in the Grant Lot is NOT in Line.
[FAQ]
http://liningup.net/getinline/rules.php

Bunch of hacks.
So f'ing funny.

The part that kills me is the line in the article about more important to wait in a line to see a star wars film as being more important than the actually seeing the film. :think:
Huh?
Its almost like being more important to internet mountain bike than actually riding a mountain bike.
Oh wait, that might touch a nerve :rolleyes:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I Are Baboon said:
Dorks.

Skookum, my bro has a ton of Star Wars cards. I'll have to see if he's got that one. :)
If he does and wants to sell it lemme know, yes i'm serious! my freind has one and he won't sell me his, and i never go to any dork conventions anymore to find one. :dancing:

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Comic Dog: "so are it looks like you are pregnant"

Pregnant Nerd: "yes"

Comic DOg: "too bad when he is born it will be the last time he sees a vagina."

Or somthing like that, it was so funny.

Then they got Spock to come and finger them all, battle of the geeks! :nuts:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Bullitrider said:
Yeh, sitting around chatting post by post isn't geeky at all. :blah:
y'know you're right.... i wish i still had my star wars dolls i had when i was a kid, so i could re-enact the Cloud City scene, where Darth Vader tells Luke he's his father. :(