Quantcast

DHI Rider’s Union

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'm Scottish mate. We're not afraid of using swear words calmly and without malice in every day chat or being direct in our replies. Acronyms in online chat even less so.

Last edited:

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
I never saw that and would go as far as to say you made it up.
We've got an epidemic of eating disorders in cycling (across the sexes), pressure to increase followers and exposure put on the athletes themselves, and some pretty questionable practices encouraged by sponsors and teams when it comes to what to share and what not to share online. Yeah, they're definitely being coached to keep those relationship statuses off the socials.

Props to those who don't have to, or who don't feel the need to. It's been a problem with female athletes in particular for a bit. Go read about the challenges Jenny Rissveds encountered a few years ago. This is a sport where 10-15 years ago the ladies were being stripped down for nearly every piece of marketing material (to say nothing of 90s).

Heather Irmiger is probably a great person. 2,500 Instagram followers isn't 350,000 followers.

Edit: I lost the rest of my reply, but the rest of your reply makes sense, particularly in the context you present it in. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The recent Sam Pilgrim ride companion podcast was a good listen (and insight into how he sustains a good wage from media rather than competition).
If you can't be bothered watching the whole thing 1:09ish - 1:11/12ish is pretty funny

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
She was a multi time national champ and Olympian. Thank God I was bowing out of the sport just as instagram was becoming something sponsors cared about.
Indeed. And I know who she is, as should anyone who followed the sport at that time. I was raising the somewhat facetious comparison with Emily Batty, who hasn't gained her following just from results. She's resorted to shilling for online gambling and Porsche.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Indeed. And I know who she is, as should anyone who followed the sport at that time. I was raising the somewhat facetious comparison with Emily Batty, who hasn't gained her following just from results. She's resorted to shilling for online gambling and Porsche.
I could do some Porsche shilling. Online gambling not so much.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
She's resorted to shilling for online gambling and Porsche.
Unless you're out of pocket to Porsche or online gambling because Emily Batty held a gun to your head why do you care?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Yeah, I've heard about her but she's living a comfortable life in Laguna so I guess she's happy with how that worked out. I also look down my nose a little at that sort of self promotion/exploitation but I get the impression my opinion is considered dated. I never got the impression she was coerced into going that route. More like every instagram/only fans girl she just took the obvious opportunity in front of her.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The last Pinkbike racing podcast about the Andorran race raises some very good points about the rider's union and what the hope to accomplish as well as the widening gap between the big teams and the smallguys/privateers.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Would anyone really be tempted to take up gambling because some pretty little blonde cyclist promoted it?

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Sorry, everyone, who had to read my last post.

Came here to say Dean Lucas did a podcast with Loic and Finn talking about the riders union, which is interesting considering they're on one of the biggest trade teams and making a fair few dollars, and they are here looking out for the little guy, where someone like, oh I dunno, Minnaar is dismissing the whole idea like some tax-haven-living, end-of-career famous athlete.

edit: adding an apple podcast link but its on other platforms also

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sorry, everyone, who had to read my last post.

Came here to say Dean Lucas did a podcast with Loic and Finn talking about the riders union, which is interesting considering they're on one of the biggest trade teams and making a fair few dollars, and they are here looking out for the little guy, where someone like, oh I dunno, Minnaar is dismissing the whole idea like some tax-haven-living, end-of-career famous athlete.

edit: adding an apple podcast link but its on other platforms also

Really shocked to hear this as I thought most white South Africans are always looking out for the little guys.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I'm Scottish mate. We're not afraid of using swear words calmly and without malice in every day chat or being direct in our replies. Acronyms in online chat even less so.
This is a Great Topic/Read. I am re-reading to take it All in before I even think about making a comment.

I hit on this post though not Scottish,but because I feel the same way as Gary. It is a bad Habbit,but at least I own it.

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
How is not specific enough for you?
I'm not looking for a reply. Just puzzled by your reaction.
I've stated my opinion and really can't be bothered replying back and forth.
Yes. A riders union would be a good thing. But I see your idea of how riders should be paid more equally as hugely flawed. My thoughts align with @Lelandjt's on that point.
I think this is where we need to bring more idea’s Gary/All Monkey’s. I see Both Side’s.

We like the Riders Union.

We don’t like equal pay for the Winners.

I think we need to Firgure out Top of Race Winners Pay Scale. That’s all. Top what? 10? Whatever It is.

The rest we set on a fair Scale based on cost to contend?

Can we talk about that,or should I just go to the corner?

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Different cultures I suppose.. But our government actively promotes gambling and the big online gambling companies sponsor a lot of big UK sport such as premiership football.. And our TV is full of online gambling adverts. And we're so used to it no one here bats an eyelid really. Its cool though as all the promotion/adds are followed by the phrase "gamble responsibly" :brows:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Different cultures I suppose.. But our government actively promotes gambling and the big online gambling companies sponsor a lot of big UK sport such as premiership football.. And our TV is full of online gambling adverts. And we're so used to it no one here bats an eyelid really. Its cool though as all the promotion/adds are followed by the phrase "gamble responsibly" :brows:
I think the issue is where online gambling is going in 2022 as it's getting way worse and more predatory while also some of those companies are trying to skirt around regulations and target kids too. So many shitty scammy gambling platforms popping up

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I think the issue is where online gambling is going in 2022 as it's getting way worse and more predatory while also some of those companies are trying to skirt around regulations and target kids too. So many shitty scammy gambling platforms popping up
Wouldn't know TBH.

It is actually regulated here though.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Microtransactions is just how games are nowadays. It just a plain and simple fact.
Just like you're just all old AF.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Microtransactions is just how games are nowadays. It just a plain and simple fact.
Just like you're just all old AF.
Hey I've been asked for my ID when buying beer like a month ago so I can still fool some people.

Also I don't get the vibe of accepting when things are shit. You can voice your displeasure and vote with your money. I'm not a gamer but If I was I'd probably avoid games with stupid monetization on principle

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Also I don't get the vibe of accepting when things are shit. You can voice your displeasure and vote with your money. I'm not a gamer but If I was I'd probably avoid games with stupid monetization on principle
I don't get the vibe of avoiding things on principle when you haven't the faintest idea about the "things" your avoiding or what principles you're even avoiding.
It's blatantly clear you're not a gamer and have no idea what you're talking about.
Microtransactions in most games are basically an optional paid shortcut for the lazy or impatient. There is very little content you can buy through microtransactions that you couldn't simply acquire through playing the games longer/better. Often taking hours of grinding but with no monetary payment necessary at all. This does cause some gamers to moan that some other gamers simply buy upgrades instead of earning them.

Much like buying an Ebike to ease/FFWD the boring uphill grind to the next fun part of a trail.. Which plenty of fuck wits with no idea about Ebikes also refuse to accept on principle.

Much like moaning and not purchasing an Ebike. Shunning microtransactions in a game doesn't register any sort if vote at all and doesn't harm the multi billion $ games industry in the slightest.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Microtransactions in most games are basically an optional paid shortcut for the lazy or impatient.
Dude. The kids spend bulk money just to get friggen skins in games. They don't offer a shortcut, tactical advantage or any benefit whatsoever. Its friggen annoying. If you're gonna buy something, it better do something like win the game or make you massively over powered against the other plebs.

I mean I'll waste my money getting bike shit that looks better, but thats a completely different thing that I won't let my kid know about at all.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I don't get the vibe of avoiding things on principle when you haven't the faintest idea about the "things" your avoiding or what principles you're even avoiding.
It's blatantly clear you're not a gamer and have no idea what you're talking about.
Microtransactions in most games are basically an optional paid shortcut for the lazy or impatient. There is very little content you can buy through microtransactions that you couldn't simply acquire through playing the games longer/better. Often taking hours of grinding but with no monetary payment necessary at all. This does cause some gamers to moan that some other gamers simply buy upgrades instead of earning them.

Much like buying an Ebike to ease/FFWD the boring uphill grind to the next fun part of a trail.. Which plenty of fuck wits with no idea about Ebikes also refuse to accept on principle.

Much like moaning and not purchasing an Ebike. Shunning microtransactions in a game doesn't register any sort if vote at all and doesn't harm the multi billion $ games industry in the slightest.
Gary. First of all I made a blanket statement. Not a gaming related statement so me being a gamer or not being a gamer does not invalidate my statement of "I don't get the vibe of accepting when things are shit. You can voice your displeasure and vote with your money".

Also Gary just because I'm not a gamer now doesn't mean I've never been one (Fun fact I never have a laminated prize for being a very special gaming person from back in the day) . I get that I can never become an expert in every topic on the planet, from golf, through gaming and curling to making assumptions about others but I still understand microtransations really well. I wish you understood reading in your native tongue better though as that would help you notice I was not talking about microtransations in general but about lootboxes which are a gambling like mechanic. Not to mention some content in games is also only accessible through microtransations and they are not only there to expedite your progress. Such a gaming expert like you should know it.

To reiterate my point again. When I don't agree with something. No matter what it is I vote with my wallet and don't give money to people with whom I don't agree in terms of their business practicess. I am pretty surprised someone so critical of everyone is so docile and accepting when it comes to business practices since you are literally saying "when ever Gary sees something bad he accepts it. There is no hope in changing anything.You must agree with our corporate overlords and give them money even when they do stuff you dont support". Kinda weird. Of course you may not be really thinking that and just arguing with me because you like arguing with people.

Also seriously cut the crap with being an expert on everything. You don't know everything about everything. Jesus I'm a loudmouth and a smartass but you make me look like a mormon wife. Seriously keep this on topic instead of derailing every conversation because you want to argue.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Dude. The kids spend bulk money just to get friggen skins in games. They don't offer a shortcut, tactical advantage or any benefit whatsoever. Its friggen annoying. If you're gonna buy something, it better do something like win the game or make you massively over powered against the other plebs.

I mean I'll waste my money getting bike shit that looks better, but thats a completely different thing that I won't let my kid know about at all.
I don't think skins are a problem. Gambling like mechanisms of lootboxing are worse. Not only they screw with your dopamine in your brain but teach kids to be gamblers. Some companies literally lock the best content in games behind low chance lootboxes that require you to spend until you get it.

Well that and I don't think "spend your way into success" is a lesson we should teach kids so I think the skins thing is the least offensive. It's just virtual clothing. A dumb thing to spend your money on but hey I'm someone who is willing to spend 15E on a cup of coffee so I cant judge

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
seriously cut the crap with being an expert on everything. You don't know everything about everything.
If you actually paid any attention to my posts here over the last 20yrs you might have realised I tend not to make comment on subjects I don't know anything about at all. That's when it's time to ask questions or listen.

That's free advice bruv.

You're welcome.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Dopamine is exactly why kids ask for MOAR money for skins.