Quantcast

DHR needle bearings.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
So I pulled the linkages apart on my DHR the other day. I figured I would clean them out and re grease them up as a part of my 'winter bike maintence/rebuild program'. Anyways, the bearings were full of dirt, and werent turning at all. It seems that the shaft has just been grinding in there instead of smoothly rotating. All of the bearings were like this except for one, wich kinda turned. Any ways, after taking all the bearings out and cleaning them and re lubing the shaft with some thick thick thick grease, they still werent turning. I dunno whats going on. The axles, or whatever its called, has smooth bumps on it, likes its been rubbing on the bearings and been grinding on them. Im just curios as to why this has happened, the bike is an 05. Is it normall for needle bearings to have a short life span?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Turners have zirc fittings for a reason. It is imperative that you use them. Give them a shot after every ride. Make sure the cross hole in the dogbone isn't plugged and only feeding lube to one side.

You only option now is to get new bearings and shafts from Turner. It's still cheaper than buying a bikes worth of sealed bearings.

Jan 12, 2005
Lancashire (U.K)
Iv never really thought much about Turner bikes (you dont see many here in the U.K.) but after looking at the DHR thread here on RM and then looking at the Turner website I must say the grease nipple idea (and the DHR frame itself) is good. I hate having to change bearings-its a pity more companies didnt do stuff like this.

Does the DHR shock linkage run on roller bearings or is it just the main swingarm pivot?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
as BYO said, you must be good about greasing the bearings with the zirc. Not having proper lube in there is the only reason it got that way. Im sure turner will still hook you up witn some new bearings and pins.....

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
yes, i guess i have only been using the zirk lube thing about once a month or so. This is probably why they got shot.

The turner website shows that the shafts are grooved (kinda like a rifle barel) to allow the grease to flow throughout the bearings, but my shafts do not have any such 'rifle' grooves.

While were talking about this. Why does the DHR use needle bearings and not bushings like the other turner bikes? And what grease should i use for the needle bearings? I have been using M prep, because i had some lying around. But when i took the bearings apart, it seemed that there was some really really really sticky factory grease in there. Should i switch to a heavier grease?