Quantcast

dhr turner sizing

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
i know i should do a search, i did, but i want some more recent answers. what size turners do you guys run ( the new round tube ones) and what length stem. im fresh out of unexpected surgery that puts me out for the whole season so i think a new frame is in order. thanks alot

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Not sure what surgery has to do with a new frame or frame sizing, unless they are removing part of your spinal column, but here goes:

I am 6', maybe 6'1 with riding shoes on and I was on a large '08 DHR. Smaller riders than me also are comfortable on the large, down to 5'9 or 5'10. Remember, the bike shrinks a LOT under compression, so it's my feeling that it's best to go with something statically a bit larger in that case. I'm on a medium M3 now, but it behaves quite the opposite of the DHR in that regard. Over 1" shorter wheelbase, but far more stable.

I was running an integrated 888 stem at 47mm I think? Whatever the Sunline stem is. In retrospect they can weight the front much easier with a longer stem since they shift their weight super far to the back with the slack HA and the way the rear wheel tucks in.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If you're going to be out of commission for a year, shouldn't you wait until you're better so you can get a more current frame at that point in time? I.E. not buy something that will be outdated by a season, decreasing its worth and cool factor? Maybe that's just the consumer whore in me talking...

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
im not gonna be out for a whole year. i meant the summer. and yeah im not too worried about a bike being not the freshest thing out

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
I am 6' 2, I have a large DHR in the round tubing version that you speak of, fits perfectly. best bike I have ever owned.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
i was considering a new style dhr this winter, and i exchanged some emails with people at go-ride (online bike store). i'm 5'8", and they recommended a medium for me, pointing out that the small frame would be cramped as it was "really tiny".

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
the only way to go is send an email to Turner or call them, they'll tell you exactly what size frame to get actually. should've included that in my previous post.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
I had a 05' Med,Now a 08' Med both with a 50mm stem,I'am 5-10.The 08' does have a smaller cockpit,but it does provide more room to move around.The more I ride it I realize how much easier it is to get behind the sadlle.The large I think the wheelbase would have been just a little long.The 05 and 08 wheelbase are close to identical.Turners recomendations for sizeing have allways worked for me.

sAFETY

Chimp
Mar 5, 2007
6'5" and on a large. I don't know if it's my setup or the frame, but when friends would sit on previous bikes of mine, they'd look like kids taking their Dad's bike for a spin. However, with the DHR anyone over about 5'8" can rip it up while complaining that their tiny hands are too small to reach the brake levers.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
6'3". Large. The wheelbase is pretty long unsagged. It's the only bike that wont fit in th bed of my truck without turning the bars. Running the 47mm Marzocchi stem. Lots of people comment on how long it feels but it's dead comfy for me. Way more compact than the pre-07 large. Closer to the old medium in fact. Just slacker, with correspondingly longer wheelbase.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
DHR's arrived here at Go-Ride today. We have a couple larges and a bunch of mediums left!

Thanks for the patience of those who were willing to wait for them!!

Krispy

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
i dont understand where the fairly large wheel base comes from. its longer then a large glory which has much longer tt. something like 25.5 for the glory. they have the same head angle supposely. and the glory even has a slightly longer chainstay. how can the wheel base be longer on the turner? (im quite conflicted on bike choice, but i cant start one of those which bike threads, i have a medium glory but really considering a large turner, feel free to chime in. i ride east coast stuff. im six foot, race alot, somewhere in between hack and not, like my glory but still something to be desired) thanks

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
i dont understand where the fairly large wheel base comes from. its longer then a large glory which has much longer tt. something like 25.5 for the glory. they have the same head angle supposely. and the glory even has a slightly longer chainstay. how can the wheel base be longer on the turner? (im quite conflicted on bike choice, but i cant start one of those which bike threads, i have a medium glory but really considering a large turner, feel free to chime in. i ride east coast stuff. im six foot, race alot, somewhere in between hack and not, like my glory but still something to be desired) thanks
There is most likley differences in tt length measuring techniques,as well as where the seat tube is in realtion to the bb,also actual seattube angles may or may not be used.This is why Turner is going to a new format for frame measuring,forget what there calling it.For the best info on Turners call Turner or check out the Turner forum on MTBR.Turner's size recomendations have allways worked for me,I'am 5'10" on an 08 Med DHR.I could go large but did'nt want the longer wheelbase.

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
cool. yeah thats why i went for the large. but still i know that the large turner does not have the toptube length of the large glory. regardless of technique