Quantcast

DHS vs. DHX?

Apr 12, 2005
MA
I know, I know. Another which shock question.

I have been researching for a few weeks, and am still on the fence here.

I have run an Avy for the past year, and loved how it felt on my Bighit. Now that the big bike has come (Sinister R9), it's time to swap out the 5th that is on there.

I will be racing a handfull of times this season, along with alot of downhill at mountains like Attitash and Highlands.

Dexter posted in Suspectdevices' thread that he liked his DHX 5.0 more than the Avy he ran on what I believe he said was his R9. I also remember seeing a thread stating that Avy's do not preform as well on some bikes as much as on others.

My riding style is still being refined. As much as I try to be nimble, I do like to plow, and that shows about half of the time. I huck alot of stuff between 7-15ish feet, but that doesn't mean I won't be going bigger this summer.

Pretty much what I am wondering is what people who have run these shocks FIRSTHAND on an R9 have to say, and hopfully it will help with my decision.

Thanks.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i like my suspension stiff, able to pedal really well, and to take the hits and chatter bumps at the same time. the dhs i could never get to feel right even after multiple send backs to craig. the swinger plain out blew even after having tons of tech work done to it. the dhx felt nice but had no mid and stroke compression dampning. the dhx feels awesome. right now have itset up with a 450lbs spring (going ti shortly), 10 clicks of pro pedal, 4 clicks from fast rebound, two turns of bottom out resistance (helps make up for the increase in sag and doubles while running the frame in the slack position), and i believe 125lbs in the chamber. ill post a real ride report on it after this week. if i stand up and smash the pedals the rear end does not bob an inch, but when i hit an obstacle it instantly opens up and conforms to it. the dhs never pedaled all that great imho