Quantcast

DHX 5, knocking sound + unresponsive rebound adjust

Jun 28, 2009
Please excuse my ignorance on this topic as I haven't had much shock trouble during my time riding.

I've had a loud knocking sound coming from my bike that just appeared when riding yesterday, thinking it was a DU bushing I replaced that to no avail. Upon further inspection I noticed that my rebound adjust knob was doing nothing to change my shock. Needless to say, I'm extremely concerned as I will be racing Whiteface next weekend. Do these symptoms indicate a blown shock? Is this something that can be fixed? Any info would help, thanks

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Check your air pressure, I bet you $0.01 that it's well below the minimum of 125psi (probably 0psi). If this is correct and putting 125-200psi in the shock fixes everything, then you're all sweet, but it's possible that your shock is blown somehow - main shaft seal leaking, or your IFP has somehow dumped air into your oil (this happened to me with my RC4 a while ago, a rebuild fixed it fortunately).

Check the obvious stuff first:
1. Is there any oil coming out of the shock anywhere?
2. Is the reservoir pressure at 125psi or higher?
3. Does the knocking depend on how fast the suspension is compressed, ie if you compress and release it slowly, does it still knock or not?

cjm102

Chimp
Dec 27, 2009
Aus
I had exactly the same fault with mine, knocking noise I thought it was the DU bushes, the rebound started to get sloppy and then the noise increased to the point where it sounded like a bucket of bolts (all in one run). I pulled the shock down and found the rebound piston bolt had unscrewed causing all of above symptoms. Quick rebuild and I was back riding the next day :thumb:.