Quantcast

DHX Air on (1st gen) Trek Session 88

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I know DHX Airs suck on most frames. Their biggest draw back having lacking midstroke support and blowing through travel. I know this is a terrible characteristic for most frames but I feel the Trek almost has too much midstroke support and like to ride too high in it's travel. It's relatively harsh until you hit something big and compression gives way. I'm on a CCDB right now and using very light comp settings (as recommended by CC).

It sounds like blasphemy but the way I see it the DHX-A's cons might do well for the Session's quirks. Advantage of DHX-A's are also Airspring, bottom out control (I miss this on the CCDB), and a slightly lower ride.

The other problem with this proposition is that I don't think DHX-A's are made in 8.75x2.75 stroke lengths (not sure). But this got me thinking of short shocking it. 0.25 is not much of a difference, should still have a good 7+" of travel and judging from the chart below the feel shouldn't change significantly, it's pretty linearly progressive. Slacked out it would probably be on par with newer slacker rides.

Any thoughts? Definitely just curious right now.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
If you're feeling that a (current gen) CCDB on low compression settings has too much support / is harsh, then chances are those feelings will only be exacerbated by a DHX Air. The air shock will have noticeably more stiction throughout the travel, and be noticeably more difficult to get moving at the very start of the stroke. I doubt the slight midstroke falloff on the air shock would outweigh those characteristics for you.

It sounds to me like you just need a softer spring, and if that means you bottom out excessively then consider running more compression damping or trying a more progressive coil shock such as an RC4.