Quantcast

DHX air vs 5th Element coil

J

JRB

I can get a 5th element coil with spring for $225, or a DHX Air for $350 shipped. If I have this on a Haro X2, would the 5th work just as well, at a little heavier weight. I don't know that I am smart enough for adjustments on either. What do you think?

J

JRB

Where are all you non-bike related forum snobs at for this one???

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I've got a 5th on my M1 and love it. 2.5 years and no problems. The pedaling platform is a good idea for a single pivot like the Haro.

The Fox has a huge weight advantage though. Its probably a pound lighter than a 5th with a steel coil spring.

But since you live in Texas, either one will suck.

J

JRB

Zark said:
I've got a 5th on my M1 and love it. 2.5 years and no problems. The pedaling platform is a good idea for a single pivot like the Haro.

The Fox has a huge weight advantage though. Its probably a pound lighter than a 5th with a steel coil spring.

But since you live in Texas, either one will suck.
I just put heavy wheels on it, so I am not sure the weight will matter much. I know the DHX would score cool points, but will the shock be that much different? We so have some pretty good climbing. If the shock isn't much heavier than my Vanilla, it's cool.

*why will they both suck in TX???

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
^ because it's Texas, duh!

Get the DHX, I've had both and my opinion of the 5th is poo, the DHX air is the best shock I've owned to date.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
loco said:
I just put heavy wheels on it, so I am not sure the weight will matter much. I know the DHX would score cool points, but will the shock be that much different? We so have some pretty good climbing. If the shock isn't much heavier than my Vanilla, it's cool.

*why will they both suck in TX???
The shocks have similar adjustments (high and low speed compression, rebound and progression) The differences are the spring (air vs. coil) and the amount of platform. 5th elements have a pretty good amount of platform even at softer settings. So they pedal like crazy but don't necesarily have as much small bump plushness. The air shock might actually be plusher in this case:think:

**Because Texas sucks, fool!:p j/k

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Zark said:

Pretty much sums it up.

It's cheaper, still works good, and stuff...

Whatever, If you wanna drop 350 on it, your choice. You could have 125 bucks to spend on something extra.

J

JRB

After some dialogue with the guy with the DHX, I am buying it. Looks like it just has a few rides, and may be more tunable for me. Kind of worried that the 5th won't have little on the fly adjustments, without me learning a pile about it.