Quantcast

DHX v CCDB

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
NeilBey said:
The CC DB is a tough one. I've found that it feels very sluggish just pushing down on it at a standstill. My brother has ridden both (Fox DHX at the worlds last year and racing the NORBA this year on the DB) and he's loving the DB, moreso than the DHX. First impressions of the DB were fairly mediocre, to say the least. But after riding it, all that money you paid for it seems to be worth it for what you get in quality.
dang...Neil Beytagh...welcome to the monkey...how many damn computers you guys got over at that house? You, Tom, G...pops.
Or are you off at school somewhere?:clue:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
bizutch said:
Ashley...with the Double Barrel you should be running a spring that is slightly lighter than what you do with other shocks

Ahh, so if you needed a 500lb with a fox vanilla, and you only needed a 400lb with the DHX on the same bike, and then of course you only needed a 300lb with a 5th element, in the end you only need a 200lb spring with the DB? :)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Jm_ said:
Ahh, so if you needed a 500lb with a fox vanilla, and you only needed a 400lb with the DHX on the same bike, and then of course you only needed a 300lb with a 5th element, in the end you only need a 200lb spring with the DB? :)
when you order the shock, they have a formula that gets you the right shock. I'm sure some spode will find a way to make it ride like a brick on skates though...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
bizutch said:
Ashley...with the Double Barrel you should be running a spring that is slightly lighter than what you do with other shocks b/c the dampers control more of the duties than the spring..
Except only a spring can set the spring weight. No damper in the world can alter that. Well, except maybe the internals from a pogo stick?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Transcend said:
Except only a spring can set the spring weight. No damper in the world can alter that. Well, except maybe the internals from a pogo stick?
But damn it, the DB has moto technology. :dead:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Renegade said:
Bicyclist, I think you'll be very happy with the DHX if you get it pushed.:thumb:
I know. If I don't like it that's my plan. Thanks for all your help. :thumb:

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Transcend said:
The DHX works fantastically straight out of the box. No extra $$ needed.
Have you ridden both? Have you ridden the pushed version? I have, more than once. Stock, out of the box, the shock is good. Pushed, it's better. Significantly better.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Were all allowed our opinions. Tell me, was the shocked modified for your bike, your weight, your riding style, or did you just try it out on someone elses bike?

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Whatever. I don't think a one time try is enough saddle time to try any product, but that's my opinion, heh?

This isn't a generic, off the self modification. It's very specific to the rider, the bike, the springrate used. A 50 pound springrate change necessitates a change in shimming the piston.
But you know all that, right?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Renegade said:
Whatever. I don't think a one time try is enough saddle time to try any product, but that's my opinion, heh?

This isn't a generic, off the self modification. It's very specific to the rider, the bike, the springrate used. A 50 pound springrate change necessitates a change in shimming the piston.
But you know all that, right?
I worked for fox as a technician, so yes, I know how suspension works, how valving works, how shim stacks work etc.

I am willing to bet 90% of MTBers wouldn't know the difference between a custom valved shock, and one straight off the shelf. Most cannot even get the proper spring weight or rebound settings. Many full time pros have no idea either. So saying a rider will be happy with a shock only after certain modifications, at extra cost, is absurd.

You seem pretty defensive over this I might add.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Transcend said:
I worked for fox as a technician, so yes, I know how suspension works, how valving works, how shim stacks work etc.

You seem pretty defensive over this I might add.
I'm taking this stance because you haven't really given me faith that you have any saddle time in on the modified dhx, or know much about it. Can you elaborate? Can you validate your comparison?

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Transcend said:
I am willing to bet 90% of MTBers wouldn't know the difference between a custom valved shock, and one straight off the shelf. Most cannot even get the proper spring weight or rebound settings. Many full time pros have no idea either. So saying a rider will be happy with a shock only after certain modifications, at extra cost, is absurd.

Then why aren't all mtb riders riding stock vanilla rc's if they're so numb to any nuances?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
fact: every shock in the world feels different, there is no amount of magic that PUSH or anyone can claim to provide that will make your set up perfect, or even better. only way to do it is work one-on-one with the suspension tuner over a period of time testing to get the best setting for you, your style, and your bike. sending the shock off to an aftermarket bunch of suspension tuners armed only with your weight, riding "style," and bike is like asking for a a custom suit and only telling the tailor your height and weight. it's a new baseline but not much else.

besides, i would still argue 90+% of riders don't have the skills/speed to take advantage of a lot of the supposed beter technology PUSH and Co. have to offer. . . not when they still can't manage to pick the correct spring rate or understand the adjustments in the first place.:nopity:

myles rockwell won the mt. snow national in 2000 on a completely blown rear shock. chew on that.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Renegade said:
So General Lee, what shock do you have on your bike, and why?

a ti-sprung, Pushed DHX, with racer boi seals that get rid of non existant frinction, a special rebound knob that tim fluke ordered me special from uranus, shock oil blessed by the pope, and an AstroGlide piston ring all hoocked up to this super hi-tech telemitry system that tells me i did, in fact, bottom out on that huck to flat coming out of turn 2.

i'm gonna win the f'ing world cup just as soon as a can drink enough Monster Energy to get Sam Hill's skills.

guinea pig for the PUSED dhx, eh? can't imagine why you're on the defensive.

sorry, i'm not into hype. i've long passed the point where my suspension is going to slow me down

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
No G.E. I don't need a hug. I asked you a question, so I can try to understand where you're coming from in regards to your statement. Instead of an answer, you get all bent out of shape, and answer like some 13 year old. It doesn't do much for your credibility.
So, I'll try again. What shock do you use, and why. Simple question.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Renegade said:
No G.E. I don't need a hug. I asked you a question, so I can try to understand where you're coming from in regards to your statement. Instead of an answer, you get all bent out of shape, and answer like some 13 year old. It doesn't do much for your credibility.
So, I'll try again. What shock do you use, and why. Simple question.
a gentleman never tells:rofl:

but if you must know it is 9.5" long

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
thanks for your intelligent response. You can now go play with the other little kids.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Transcend said:
So based on that, how's your hip surgery going old man? I think you need more fiber in your diet. :rolleyes:
Based on the maturity of his response, I could be twenty years older than him, and still be a young man. You haven't answered my other question Transcend. Or are you going to go the same route as the general?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Transcend said:
:stupid:

Seriously. I need to get 10 seconds faster, and spending all kinds of money on a new rear shock will not do it. Going to the gym, riding with faster riders, riding at a lot of new places, riding all the time, and staying fresh and stoked on MTB will do it. Heck, the $600 that a Double Barrel costs is easily three World Cups, and that kind of experience is way more beneficial than some small improvement on the bike.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
That's all fine and dandy. Going back a page to my post directed to Cyclist, I said to him that he will probably like his DHX if it gets pushed. I didn't say it will make him faster, win races, or get him laid. I simply implied that he'd like it. Enjoying the ride guys; isn't that what most of us are in it for?

originally posted by Renegade: Bicyclist, I think you'll be very happy with the DHX if you get it pushed.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Renegade said:
That's all fine and dandy. Going back a page to my post directed to Cyclist, I said to him that he will probably like his DHX if it gets pushed. I didn't say it will make him faster, win races, or get him laid. I simply implied that he'd like it. Enjoying the ride guys; isn't that what most of us are in it for?

originally posted by Renegade: Bicyclist, I think you'll be very happy with the DHX if you get it pushed.
Right, and before you started to be a douche, you'll notice i said that he'd like it just fine if he didn't.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
so asking you to further refine your response to qualify it makes me a douche? Do you find it uncomfortable to be asked to be accountable for your statements?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Renegade said:
so asking you to further refine your response to qualify it makes me a douche? Do you find it uncomfortable to be asked to be accountable for your statements?
Bitching and whining that it makes a huge difference and moaning when someone doesn't spend an hour explaining why they think it doesn't, does. :rolleyes:

You can think it does all you want, and are welcome to spend all the money you want on it. And just for reference, I've ridden Fox (DHX, RC, DHX Air, + push DHX and before that, RC), Manitou, Progressive and Risse shocks on the same frames. These are shocks that I own except the push stuff. All properly tuned, and some with custom internals direct from the factory.

I have also ridden Avalanche shocks on the same frame from someone about the same weight. So ya, I have at least a little bit of experience riding different bits of suspension, tuning them, shimming/valving them and comepletely repairing or rebuilding them; on the same platform.

Incidentally, the frame itself does absolutely NOTHING to alter shock performance, so pros and cons are glaringly obvious from each of these.

So like I said, feel free to blow your own wad on it all you want. Don't come and patronize the rest of us who know what we are doing with suspension, and are quite fine without the extra cash outlay. If you think spending a few hundred extra on your shock will make you faster, or it monumentally better...well, you go on thinking that. Just don't tell people they need to do that to be "happy" with a shock.

Nov 9, 2005
out of curisoity, is the db a good upgrade for the money over a dhx for a 2005 stab supreme? I love the frame and i dont want to change that but i've had my eye on the db for a while but i have also been looking at a ti spring for my current dhx.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
SBDownhillRacer said:
out of curisoity, is the db a good upgrade for the money over a dhx for a 2005 stab supreme? I love the frame and i dont want to change that but i've had my eye on the db for a while but i have also been looking at a ti spring for my current dhx.
cough...double barrel...cough...cough....:love:

Nov 9, 2005
thats what i was thinking but there are a lot of people who tell me that there arent too many pros running the shock so it must not be good, but i only ever hear good things about it so thats probably what i'm gonna do.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
SBDownhillRacer said:
Don't listen to us, just go ride one and make up your mind.
You got our boys loving the Double Barrel, Transcend's guys loving the DHX, and evidently for Renegade here, everytime a DHX gets pushed, an angel gets her wings.:rofl:
So, if I were you, I would decide after riding them.