Quantcast

Diablo 10/10/2009

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Couldn't make Highland, so Vas and I opted for Diablo Instead... conditions were superb... a bit windy but dry, cloudy in the AM (no rain) then sunny blue skies in the afternoon....

I decided not to bring all my flashes and just opted to take some sequence shots... Basically put the camera on a Tripos, set to 16mm, and used a remote shutter release.....

Me @ Pipeline.....

Vas @ Pipeline

Pipeline Different Angle

Me @ Salvation

Vas @ Salvation

Vas @ Greenhorn Kicker

Me @ Greenhorn Kicker

Overall we had some really great quality & very fast runs... Hope U enjoy... feel free to comment!!!

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
dave those pics are cool! the boys and i rode highland today, pretty sick mountain. we had a photographer follow us a bit today ill put up the pics soon!

dennis

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
I think he said on the anthem drop, and that's a pretty big drop. He's lucky he got away unharmmed.
Wow, that's Scary stuff..... but the bike Snapped on the head tube, should have gotten a photo of it... :-)

yeah he sure is lucky he got away unharmed!

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
yes photoshop, but you need to keep the camera on a tripod and use a remote shutter release and shoot away...

gfisher270

Monkey
Aug 23, 2008
NNJ
Bet diablo charges him for that, thats like the 40th broken rental bike right?
no i was at the diablo office when they were looking at it. and the frame was a 2010 one. i've never seen one of the 2010 ones broken and it didn't snap at the headtube weld the tubes just broke. and it was anthem me and my friend went to look where he landed and you could see the hole in the ground where the tube dug in. but you could also see that he cased it so no wonder it broke.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Several people got hurt today 10/11 on what was a perfect day with great weather and dry but tacky trails. Always suck to see the ambulance at the mountain. Both riders got hurt on stunts.

Can't believe the Jamis rentals keeps breaking.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Same type of riding the previous bikes when through and they did not break like that. Just go to Whistler and see what they are riding there are plenty of durable frames.

Several people got hurt today 10/11 on what was a perfect day with great weather and dry but tacky trails. Always suck to see the ambulance at the mountain. Both riders got hurt on stunts.
i was there for one of them. pretty horrific crash, but rider will be ok.

only had one off today, but chalking it up for poor technique, as i slipped a pedal. no harm done, maybe just my pride.

CBJ, good to see ya again dude, i need to sharpen up my riding before i can ride with you guys.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Damn, it just hit me.....

the North East DH season is Almost Over... 1 more month, and we'll be all on Snowboard... :-(

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
Yep, I don't know what the two ambulances and two cop cars were for, but whomever fell on the Alpine wallride... I am sorry that we had the conversation at the top of Alpine about your Session. Hope you get back on your bike for a fresh start next year.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Every weekend at least 2 jamis bikes snap. Personally i think its time for another rental bike, really nice spec, but the frame snap all the time, i mean travis is on his 4th and he weighs 100 pounds sopping wet.

Bring back the bighits!!!

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
in all fairness this is Jamis' first season doing DH so I think it's fair to afford them a little extended R&D time, but at the same time its hard to say if the frames r breaking because the people riding them are crashing a lot, aren't smooth etc...but then again it's doubtful those guys are hitting the real rough stuff...companies are all working super hard to build light frames but it's coming at quite a cost (Jamis and Trek come first to mind but Intense is up there too)

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
in all fairness this is Jamis' first season doing DH so I think it's fair to afford them a little extended R&D time, but at the same time its hard to say if the frames r breaking because the people riding them are crashing a lot, aren't smooth etc...but then again it's doubtful those guys are hitting the real rough stuff...companies are all working super hard to build light frames but it's coming at quite a cost (Jamis and Trek come first to mind but Intense is up there too)
while i do agree with more R and D, i disagree with a few things, using the latest casing of anthem drop. (for those who dont know mayb 6 feet down and 6 out, ladder on a 20 degree downslope) how can a second generation DH frame snap on a drop like that, ive dropped similar sized drops to flat on my hardrock when i was a kid. Jamis bikes are snapping every weekend up there, and i dont think that there is anything at diablo that a DH bike should not be able to do, at this point in time how fair is it to say, well its a "race" bike so we cannot drop it off any drops. I have seen plenty "worse" bikes case and mess up on anthem including many old konas and bighits. Not that they are bad bikes, but how good can it be when a 2010 DH bike snaps off a 6 foot drop. What i will say is that despite all their frames breaking, i have heard that they are very good with their warrenty and it looked like they tried to fix the 2010s (but failed?) i applaud the effort, but i disagree that they R&D should be done by watching people on rentals snapping them.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
well...least their warranty dept is good then haha but who knows what's going on. I also was talking to a buddy about the issue and we conjectured that its possible the additional gussets on the frame provide additional support, but force stress on other parts of the frame (maybe the headtube if that is where they're cracking)? again i'm simply shooting in the dark here...I believe Evan (downhill3r) snapped a rocky mtn headtube off phantom and that isn't exactly a Bender sized drop...so it can happen to other bikes...

gfisher270

Monkey
Aug 23, 2008
NNJ
i was deciding what frame to get for next year and travis told me to get a bam but after seeing a broken 2010 one im not i hopefully will be ordering my tr 450 frame soon!,

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
while i do agree with more R and D, i disagree with a few things, using the latest casing of anthem drop. (for those who dont know mayb 6 feet down and 6 out, ladder on a 20 degree downslope) how can a second generation DH frame snap on a drop like that, ive dropped similar sized drops to flat on my hardrock when i was a kid. Jamis bikes are snapping every weekend up there, and i dont think that there is anything at diablo that a DH bike should not be able to do, at this point in time how fair is it to say, well its a "race" bike so we cannot drop it off any drops. I have seen plenty "worse" bikes case and mess up on anthem including many old konas and bighits. Not that they are bad bikes, but how good can it be when a 2010 DH bike snaps off a 6 foot drop. What i will say is that despite all their frames breaking, i have heard that they are very good with their warrenty and it looked like they tried to fix the 2010s (but failed?) i applaud the effort, but i disagree that they R&D should be done by watching people on rentals snapping them.
first off, you obviously don't want to sell yours when you win it. because saying that isint going to help it one bit.

second, these bikes are ridden nearly every day, way more then your personal bike will ever be ridden, and by some of the worst riders to boot. casing ever jump/drop on every run will ruin any bike easily. with that amount of bikes you will always see problems.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I've never heard of HT's ripping off of Konas or Rocky Mountains at resorts..
That being said, if it's true that a lot of these have broken, they need to pull all of those POS Jamis bikes off the hill.. They should not let people keep riding those on a resort rental fleet. Especially after people have been beating the S out of them, others may be "paying" for those “mistakes”.
In regards to bike strength/weight, the potential consequences are so high for a ripped off head tube or broken fork, that companies need to view it as something that should not be able to break (within its lifespan) no matter how hard it's ridden.
I view it much the same as BlackDiamond making ice axes or carabineers for mountain climbing. Yes, the person can make mistakes and die, but it should not be due to equipment failure. With the technology and prior experience in our sport available today, I think catastrophic failure, even in small numbers, is completely unacceptable. How good does a bike ride if it has the potential to leave you a paraplegic?

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
first off, you obviously don't want to sell yours when you win it. because saying that isint going to help it one bit.

second, these bikes are ridden nearly every day, way more then your personal bike will ever be ridden, and by some of the worst riders to boot. casing ever jump/drop on every run will ruin any bike easily. with that amount of bikes you will always see problems.
Though, like someone else said.. Travis is on his 4th. And for 2010, Jamis put on a thicker chainstay so thats some improvement, but they still need to find out whats wrong with the headtube etc..

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
Though, like someone else said.. Travis is on his 4th. And for 2010, Jamis put on a thicker chainstay so thats some improvement, but they still need to find out whats wrong with the headtube etc..
well i am travis, and i can say for my self that i am on my 2nd.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I do hope to sell mine IF i win it, however, the same riders breaking these didnt break the big-hits, the sundays, or the konas at whistler. (which imo-get more abuse) Dont get me wrong, id like to see the jamis work better, they have a great spec. but so far, they are snapping and breaking beyond belief. I applaud the effort, but it might be a good idea to do more R&D first, or just make it overbuilt, and lessen the weight every year.