Quantcast

Diablo Domination Series

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Thought about heading down to Diablo as I never go there other than the US Open.

So how is the series going? Courses? Attendance? Not in the mood to get down there and ride a crap course with 60 others.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The courses are generally really good. I think attendance is down. I've been there a few times on race day and it wasn't packed like it used to be. This may or may not have something to do with the economy and the complete and total lack of association with a race governing body.

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
They had a race last weekend I think there is one more left in October.

I think most mountains are experiencing weak attendance with school/college starting back up.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
go to platty and ride your mountain bike @ a mountain. the course looks sick from what has been posted.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i was there on Sunday during there last race and you would have never known that there was a race going on besides for the course tape.
i think i saw 20 racers?
the courses are nice, but besides for the US Open, id never race there.

there f-ing website keeps crashing FF an IE for me

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
the courses at diablo are always good, this past weekend was a little weak but i think its because everyone is getting brain washed on the GES races. diablo gives out THE best products hands down. this weekend i won slalom and took home SLX cranks, sunday i won DH and took home complete set of saint brakes. so total i went home with about 750 bucks worth of product not to shabby huh? its better then a kenda tube and a XXL t-shirt. you actually get your money's worth at diablo even tho people hate so much.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
you should at Diablow to your signature with your other sponsors :D

there wasnt any GE series races last weekend was there? brainwashing people to attend the biggest series in the country isnt a bad thing

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
dont get me wrong, GES is a great thing for the east coast racing in 2009 but just to many races. people are spending tons of money traveling and racing these events. maybe the resession isnt hitting some people but its hitting me for sure, thats why im stickin to the diablo series for the rest of the year.

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
The Gravity East Series is not all bad but it does need some work. Too many rounds. It has KILLED local racing at Mountains. Everyone is driving 6 + hr to GE races an had no money or desire to attend more local races.

But that is not what this thread is about. I went to the first Diablo race and had a good time. Pretty fun course and a good time on the bike.

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
i was there on Sunday during there last race and you would have never known that there was a race going on besides for the course tape.
i think i saw 20 racers?
the courses are nice, but besides for the US Open, id never race there.
I actually second this statement. It was pretty desolate this past Sunday on "race day." The timed race trails are cool, same ones as usual, just always a tad more blown out come race time.

Last edited:

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
A couple years ago people bitched about there not being enough mountains to race at, now there are complaints about more races and options?
Diablo IMO started the overpriced entry fees due to the great products to be won. The problem with that is most of the time it's the same 5 racers in AM or Pro who always win. So you have 90% of the racers paying a higher entry fee just to hand out more shwag to the same small group of winners.
The mountain could use the money for better things like dropping the entry fee a bit and maybe attracting more racers. Just a thought.

Peace

Richie Vegas

Chimp
Aug 23, 2007
I think you could attract more racers by adding a vet. class. Its F'n hard for us 40+ guys to keep up with all you young guns.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
A couple years ago people bitched about there not being enough mountains to race at, now there are complaints about more races and options?
Diablo IMO started the overpriced entry fees due to the great products to be won. The problem with that is most of the time it's the same 5 racers in AM or Pro who always win. So you have 90% of the racers paying a higher entry fee just to hand out more shwag to the same small group of winners.
The mountain could use the money for better things like dropping the entry fee a bit and maybe attracting more racers. Just a thought.

Peace
agree completely, we had 3 racers in slalom last race with a whopping 6 for DH. This was Jr. X class, because its mixed with sport, generally me and two other kids win and the rest of the people end up eating it. Personally i think that their should be a sport class, i mean people riding sport wont touch the expert catagory, so why make them pay for it?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Peace
this is a pretty big problem on the east coast, I feel. More and more mountains are sprouting up, and it's not necessarily a good thing. I don't know if popularity of the sport is just declining, but there are definitely less crowds at non-race mountains all throughout. Very few showed up to whiteface opening day, plattekill is empty on a regular weekend, even highland rarely has huge lift lines.

I imagine what will happen is a weeding out process, where only the strong and committed mountains will survive. I imagine the newcomers will start to drop, and the old holdouts will continue...or we'll see the Bolton-esque style of being open only random weekends and for races. It is certainly tough for a single mountain series to compete with an area race series, but the devotion to that mountain has to be strong enough to compete with that other series. It surprises me that Diablo doesn't have that devotion, since they are so close to NYC. Plattekill seems to have continued success in their "local" race series, and they're somewhat further away. That suggests to me that Diablo may be doing something wrong.

Sorry for the rant, just trying to mentally hash out some ideas.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
what i want to know is where are all the people that race the US Open(im not talkin about top ten pros) there was prob close to 400 racers. where do they all go? the diablo series is based on the US Open as for catagories so why dont more people come out and race the diablo series? dont say because they have unfair catagories to sign up for....

Dennis

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
what i want to know is where are all the people that race the US Open(im not talkin about top ten pros) there was prob close to 400 racers. where do they all go? the diablo series is based on the US Open as for catagories so why dont more people come out and race the diablo series? dont say because they have unfair catagories to sign up for....

Dennis
Dennis, If you had been around long enough, you'd have all your answers.:thumb:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
lol yea i am pretty green to the sport. but im doing the best i can to help give back to the riders. :thumb:
That's great, we do need more guys like you. I just want to help this sport survive. Sandwich had some very good points. I think promoters, racers and USAC needs to sit down and talk reality, instead of listening to someone's outlandish dreams.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I think promoters, racers and USAC needs to sit down and talk reality, instead of listening to someone's outlandish dreams.
unfortunately USAC and Diablow will never be used in the same sentence, unless you are talking about lack of support on Diablow's end

eRod

Chimp
May 16, 2007
unfortunately USAC and Diablow will never be used in the same sentence, unless you are talking about lack of support on Diablow's end
for somebody who constantly rags on Diablo you sure ride there a lot. USAC could give a **** about DH, why can't you people understand this??? We don't support the the USAC because they don't support the sport. There is no way they reinvested the amount they charge for license fees back into DH. Look at their prizes for Christ sakes. Last I checked Diablo Gravity series was the only series giving out real prizes and cash for pros. Period.

I don't ride Platty cause I don't like it but you don't see me hating on them every time a god damn platty thread gets posted, do you??? If you don't like diablo then don't ride there. that goes for all you other haters too.

eRod

Chimp
May 16, 2007
I just got 5 pins out of my wrist this morning so I won't be riding anything for a bit. Its not like I've never been to Platty, I rode there in highschool back in the mid 90s and a bit last year. I respect the place and what they do but i choose to ride elsewhere. This is about the USAC not giving a **** about DH and people constantly hating on a place and then showing up to ride there.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
nah i mean more along the lines of "proud supporter of boycott USAC" not that i disagree, but diablo is very against it