Quantcast

Diablo Domination Series

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I just got 5 pins out of my wrist this morning so I won't be riding anything for a bit. Its not like I've never been to Platty, I rode there in highschool back in the mid 90s and a bit last year. I respect the place and what they do but i choose to ride elsewhere. This is about the USAC not giving a **** about DH and people constantly hating on a place and then showing up to ride there.
Anybody that rides, and likes riding, should like both places -- a preference, sure, but dislike makes not a lick of sense. Too far? Too scary? To easy? maybe so per one or another, but dislike? weaksauce.

You say you 'dont like to ride at Platty' then you really must not ride. (Same to be said for the converse.)

eh?

Why is any discussion completley polarized? There is A LOT of middle ground.

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
Anybody that rides, and likes riding, should like both places -- a preference, sure, but dislike makes not a lick of sense. Too far? Too scary? To easy? maybe so per one or another, but dislike? weaksauce.

You say you 'dont like to ride at Platty' then you really must not ride. (Same to be said for the converse.)

eh?

Why is any discussion completley polarized? There is A LOT of middle ground.
I agree! I don't get why there is a on-going war between Platty and Diablo riders... Both are extremely fun places to ride, why all the hate between some people?:rolleyes:

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
Anybody that rides, and likes riding, should like both places --
Well said...both areas have different styles of riding. I like to ride at both areas depending on my riding mood. I would rather race at Plattekill because I get to challenge myself against riders of equal age & ability. I am no pro but enjoy the competition. When I race at Diablo it's more like practice for sanctioned races. Yes, Diablo has great prizes...but I have no chance on a flat track against a future pro in his early twenties. Unless......the track is steeply pointed downhill through the gnar that makes your brown-eye pucker. Can't wait to race/ride Ulmer's Ultimatum now that my ribs and thumb are healed!!! Riding bikes is fun.:weee:

eRod

Chimp
May 16, 2007
I don't like riding there because I think the lift is slow and it's a hike from my house but that's just me. Like I said I respect what they do but I prefer to ride elsewhere but I don't go out of my way every chance I get to talk trash about Platty. There is a small but very vocal group here on RM that has some strong opinions on Diablo and they like to let everyone know about it every chance they get, yet they still show up to ride there. That is weaksauce.

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
I don't like riding there because I think the lift is slow and it's a hike from my house but that's just me. Like I said I respect what they do but I prefer to ride elsewhere but I don't go out of my way every chance I get to talk trash about Platty. There is a small but very vocal group here on RM that has some strong opinions on Diablo and they like to let everyone know about it every chance they get, yet they still show up to ride there. That is weaksauce.
They just hate rice as much as they hate big business squeezing every possible dollar out of us riders. Like what's the deal with no lift access on Saturday with a Sunday DH entry at Diablo? A move like that deserves to be ridiculed.:shablon:

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
They just hate rice as much as they hate big business squeezing every possible dollar out of us riders. Like what's the deal with no lift access on Saturday with a Sunday DH entry at Diablo? A move like that deserves to be ridiculed.:shablon:
Last years race fees were like $75. This year they are $55 but you can purchase a lift ticket on Saturday for a lower cost of $20 as opposed to the $38 lift ticket fee. So its pretty much the same as last year except they are helping out those with season passes. Seems pretty fair to me.

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
Last years race fees were like $75. This year they are $55 but you can purchase a lift ticket on Saturday for a lower cost of $20 .
I'm not 100% sure but I think that price quote is innacurate. The powers that be wouldn't have made a point to keep Saturday's lift access separate without financial gain. Believe me, I know. I work for THE largest foodservice corporation that you've never heard of. Over 18 Million in profits per year worldwide. No changes are ever made unless it increases the bottom line.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
if you want to place well in the series you have to also race the timed single slalom race as those points are equal to and combined with DH to crown the series Championship. $110 for ams and $120 for pro per weekend. Even with the "Great Prizes" there were 15 single slalom and 36 dh racers total for all classes men and women at the last race.

For me it's about the riding, the surroundings, the number of trails, the vibe, the value and of course the distance to the venue, Plattekill wins on all counts (at least for me). I won't even get into the reasons why many racers avoid the NJ Mountains Series.

I will commend the success of the US Open, that is a great event.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
for somebody who constantly rags on Diablo you sure ride there a lot. USAC could give a **** about DH, why can't you people understand this??? We don't support the the USAC because they don't support the sport. There is no way they reinvested the amount they charge for license fees back into DH. Look at their prizes for Christ sakes. Last I checked Diablo Gravity series was the only series giving out real prizes and cash for pros. Period.

I don't ride Platty cause I don't like it but you don't see me hating on them every time a god damn platty thread gets posted, do you??? If you don't like diablo then don't ride there. that goes for all you other haters too.
yes i rag on them.
yes i ride there almost weekly because it is the closest mountain to me in PA.
i rag on your lack of support for our "governing body" that we call USAC. granted, there are many issues that they need to addressed in the gravity events, but i still support them because they are the only sanctioning form of racing that this country recognizes and i believe supporting them does count for something....overall USAC points, qualifying for National championships and so on.
your series is great in giving out prizes, yes. i guess prizes attract people to your events. but as much as the USAC doesnt support our sport of gravity racing, i still feel that there is good intention, therefore i support them.

prizes arent handed out by USAC if im not mistaken. my $60(or whatever it is) yearly license fee is paid without question because it does help promote the sport of mountain biking in the U.S.....whether that be XC, DS, MTX or DH.

if you want to rag on Platty in one of the threads, then so be it. you have a right to, just as i have a right to criticize Diablo for not supporting the USAC.

ive been riding DH long enough (9 years) to see mountain close and reopen (cough) and ill continue to ride all the mountains that offer lift service in the NE.
the only time you might see me race at one of your events is during the US Open and maybe your next race that has 20 people in it so i can win one of your prizes. will it be with my money though? no, ill find loose change around and use that for my entry fee.

if you dont like my opinion, then of well. i want to try and believe in the USAC and if that means getting crappy prizes as you put it, then so be it.
and its obvious im a die hard Platty fan...theres no changing that.

Last edited:

Excoudos

Chimp
Apr 25, 2007
Vernon
lets stop all the bashing. i just been reading 4 pages of bs and still cant find out who won this past weekend. someone please post cant open pdf files.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
lets stop all the bashing. i just been reading 4 pages of bs and still cant find out who won this past weekend. someone please post cant open pdf files.
i dont think the OP was asking who won this weekend.
and you know the adobe pdf reader is free right?

if there website didnt keep crashing, id tell ya who won

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
if there website didnt keep crashing, id tell ya who won
lol...

but yeah, the vibe at the two mountains is completely different. I enjoy diablo occasionally, but usually when one of my riding buddies wants to go there. For me, a weekend + camping at plattekill is where it's at.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
yes i rag on them.
yes i ride there almost weekly because it is the closest mountain to me in PA.
i rag on your lack of support for our "governing body" that we call USAC. granted, there are many issues that they need to addressed in the gravity events, but i still support them because they are the only sanctioning form of racing that this country recognizes and i believe supporting them does count for something....overall USAC points, qualifying for National championships and so on.
your series is great in giving out prizes, yes. i guess prizes attract people to your events. but as much as the USAC doesnt support our sport of gravity racing, i still feel that there is good intention, therefore i support them.
So let's get this straight. You support the USAC even though they offer little support to gravity riding and racing. Fine. When a major east coast mountain vocalizes their discontent with the USAC for reasons stated above, you bash them and act like a 12-year old brand new to the internet with this "Diablow" garbage in every post. Fine. But then don't go and ride there every weekend just because it's close. Like someone else said, if you have that much of an issue, then don't ride there. No one is really going to care.

People are going to keep coming to Diablo because the mountain is fun as hell and it's relatively close to a major metropolitan area. As much as you might like to form your own protest group out in the parking lot (that is if you can find time in between riding there), you'll probably have trouble getting people to jump on your bandwagon. The mountain is just too much fun and most people just want to get out and ride their bikes instead of waste time being butthurt about things that quite frankly don't matter.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
I think you could attract more racers by adding a vet. class. Its F'n hard for us 40+ guys to keep up with all you young guns.
Amen Brother......but when you consider the total number of racers showing up this season its hard to justify more categories.

In the East whenever a promoter incorporates a 40+ class the competition is always outstanding with the top ten laying down very respectable times.

J

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I'm not 100% sure but I think that price quote is innacurate. The powers that be wouldn't have made a point to keep Saturday's lift access separate without financial gain. Believe me, I know. I work for THE largest foodservice corporation that you've never heard of. Over 18 Million in profits per year worldwide. No changes are ever made unless it increases the bottom line.
ARA/ARAMark?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
So let's get this straight. You support the USAC even though they offer little support to gravity riding and racing. Fine. When a major east coast mountain vocalizes their discontent with the USAC for reasons stated above, you bash them and act like a 12-year old brand new to the internet with this "Diablow" garbage in every post. Fine. But then don't go and ride there every weekend just because it's close. Like someone else said, if you have that much of an issue, then don't ride there. No one is really going to care.

As much as you might like to form your own protest group out in the parking lot (that is if you can find time in between riding there), you'll probably have trouble getting people to jump on your bandwagon. The mountain is just too much fun and most people just want to get out and ride their bikes instead of waste time being butthurt about things that quite frankly don't matter.
maybe you should re-read my post again and see why i support the USAC.
i said i would never race there if they dont support USAC unless its the US Open or if theres 5 people there like last week's race. i never said i wouldnt ride there either. riding at a mountain and racing at a mountain are too different things.

i also dont believe its not just me who thinks that Diablow is in the wrong with not supporting the USAC. what other DH series is there that doesnt support them? the GE? Pro GRT? Fluidride? granted they have their "style" of promoting a race, but what its only them that does it this way
what does the "fun" riding have to do with a lack of support for the governing body of racing? nothing.
when you can comprehend what i said in my post, please feel free to talk to me...and if you still cant understand wtf i and other people are saying, then shut up.
you obviously arent a racer because i havent met anyone who has a issue with supporting the USAC. granted National prizes can be lame. is that there fault? no

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I really dont like the fact that a hevaily considered factor for races, is the prize/money.

Why do you race? The vast majority dont win jack, but still put the $ in.

Prizes are great, but if thats your deciding factor, then you suck (as a person - you may be a great rider)

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
I don't think prize money is considered that much by most East Coast Pros or Ams. The NJ park offers the biggest payday for series races in the East and look at their turnout. $500 to win and under 10 racers the last two races Big prizes for ams and no one shows up. I think most racers go to an event for the "experience".

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Here's 1 major thing you get for your $60.00 USAC annual license fee (note with the $10.00 1 day permit you still get 50% of this same coverage).

Event and Rider Insurance Coverage
USA Cycling, Inc. has general liability and rider accident insurance that covers association events for which a permit has been issued. This insurance covers Road, Track, Mountain Biking, Cyclo-cross, Collegiate and Pro events.

EVENT AND RIDER INSURANCE COVERAGE

RIDER ACCIDENT POLICY

The rider accident policy provides excess coverage for USA Cycling licensed riders for dates specified on the permit application when they:

1. Participate in a USA Cycling permitted event;
2. Participate in training programs of USA Cycling under the direct supervision of the USA Cycling staff;
3. Notify a race official about their accident when it happens, even if they do not think they are badly injured;
4. Receive medical care and treatment within 30 days of the covered accident; and
5. File an accident claim form with the insurance company within 30 days.

The benefit provisions are as follows:

Medical Expense (maximum) $25,000*
Accidental Death and Dismemberment $1,000

*Maximum benefit of $500 for Dental, Orthopedic, Physical Therapy and Transportation.

More on this can be found here

Feb 7, 2007
Vernon, New Jersey
While our last race had a low turnout, it is safe to say that all promoters here in the east are experiencing lower race participation. Whiteface, Windham, Highland, you name it... EVEN plattekill have all posted lower race attendance this year. Since you guys like throwing around numbers, Platte only had 78 riders at their last race and with that kind of turnout they aren't exactly breaking any records any time soon either. What happened to the days of Platte getting 250 racers at EVERY race? Would it be prudent to comment on how their numbers are down significantly from a few years ago in both attendance AND race numbers? hmmm, I wonder why this isn't a topic?

The whole east coast scene has changed and all resorts are posting lower race numbers than 3-4 years ago and its not isolated to one resort. Our race series is a very small part of our overall business (less than 2%) and as such, is not a measurement of success for us. We are not in the least concerned with measuring race attendance since its such a small scope of our entire program. By design, our race series is not intended to be a significant source of income. The race series is merely an amenity and to provide local racing options for season passholders and locals.

Ridemonkey is awesome.. It's amazing how many "experts" reside on this site and its hilarious (literally) to read some of the bizarre ramblings of these delusional internet champions. While a few here are bashing our program and taking cheap shots with their internet-only bravado, our program is 3/4 of the way through our most successful season to date posting a 25% increase in attendance vs 08. This increase represents thousands and thousands of riders...Did someone mention something about race attendance? Keep taking cheap-shots, and squabling over +/- 20 racers and we'll keep posting record breaking attendance numbers year after year.... some aspects of our program are experiencing a 65% increase this season and we thank the thousands of loyal customers that consistently choose Diablo as their preferred riding destination, again and again. :thumb:

hardboiled

Chimp
May 15, 2006
right behind you

EVENT AND RIDER INSURANCE COVERAGE

RIDER ACCIDENT POLICY

The benefit provisions are as follows:

Medical Expense (maximum) $25,000*
Accidental Death and Dismemberment $1,000

*Maximum benefit of $500 for Dental, Orthopedic, Physical Therapy and Transportation.
I have no opinion whatsoever on diablo but this insurance coverage is pretty interesting. I assumed that was the main benefit the sanctioning bodies provide, but the $500 limit on Orthopedic expenses is a joke considering that is the most likely type of injury to occur in a race. $500 will not get you very far once you walk into an orthopedist's office, you better hope you don't need surgery...

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
I would like to add that races that are not USAC sanctioned still have very similar (if not the same) coverage for racers.
Shawn should be commended for building Diablo, establishing a local series and especially for creating the U.S. Open. Diablo has turned many people on to downhilling and racing. Thanks dude!
For the record: Our numbers @ Whiteface are also up this year in overall attendance, racers (we had our own series for locals this year), seasons passes, rentals, lessons, etc. Thank you.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Alot of people get really pissy about the diablo series, im just going to throw this out there. last race for AM jr (jr. x and junior sport) for timed slalom there was 3 riders, for DH there was 6. Might not be the most people, but diablo (from what i HEAR) has the best prizes, and although everybody complains, the courses are great, and its easy to make your money back. For a total of 450 (every race fee for every race) im in contention to walk away with a dakar bam(thats over 5Gs) plus all the stuff i have won on the normal races, its quite easy to turn 100 for 2 races into 200 worth of parts, I think it would be nice for diablo to have the usac classes so alot of people that dont win, get screwed being in the combined catagories, but the prizes, get off the high horse and come race for some good stuff, i mean hell, there is 3 poeple-all u have to do is beat 1!!!

-PS might be a ****ty person because i tend to race for prizes, yes im a douche-dont bother flaming

-and for those who think that there is not enough competition to bother, id say the times in my class (especially DH) can be pretty hard to beat-not impossible, but id say that you'll get plenty challenged

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
My first race was at diablo and I made back my entry three times over, if that doesn't encourage somebody to keep on racing, what will?
However, it must be said that:
camping at plattekill is where it's at.
they've really got Diablo beat in that respect.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
agree completely, we had 3 racers in slalom last race with a whopping 6 for DH. This was Jr. X class, because its mixed with sport, generally me and two other kids win and the rest of the people end up eating it. Personally i think that their should be a sport class, i mean people riding sport wont touch the expert catagory, so why make them pay for it?
or

Alot of people get really pissy about the diablo series, im just going to throw this out there. last race for AM jr (jr. x and junior sport) for timed slalom there was 3 riders, for DH there was 6. Might not be the most people, but diablo (from what i HEAR) has the best prizes, and although everybody complains, the courses are great, and its easy to make your money back. For a total of 450 (every race fee for every race) im in contention to walk away with a dakar bam(thats over 5Gs) plus all the stuff i have won on the normal races, its quite easy to turn 100 for 2 races into 200 worth of parts, I think it would be nice for diablo to have the usac classes so alot of people that dont win, get screwed being in the combined catagories, but the prizes, get off the high horse and come race for some good stuff, i mean hell, there is 3 poeple-all u have to do is beat 1!!!

-PS might be a ****ty person because i tend to race for prizes, yes im a douche-dont bother flaming

-and for those who think that there is not enough competition to bother, id say the times in my class (especially DH) can be pretty hard to beat-not impossible, but id say that you'll get plenty challenged
I say, this is confusing and inconsistent!:weee:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
or

I say, this is confusing and inconsistent!:weee:
i state my reason for racing it, i dont think anybody in sport should race it. If you race jr. x, why not, big payout, i like the courses(especially the last 2) I would love to see a sport class, at diablo you have 1 year in intro and THATS IT, after that its into jr x. no matter how much you suck, you have to pay for me(any anybody else) to win sweet schwag.I wont say its easy for me to win, i still havent pulled a 1st in DH, and i qualied 6th at us open with a fall. (the kids that beat me usually have 3-6 seconds, so its pretty tough to get first, but if u are in jrx, why not try, i might just be in the middle of that class.