Quantcast

Diablo First Timer...Good "Warm-up" trail???

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
We are heading to Diablo in August. I'm a decent DH'er...intermed/advanced level...can handle nearly everything Snowshoe has to offer...but from the vids I've seen...there are lines and features at Diablo that make Snowshoe look like child's play...

I can handle 4 to 6 foot drops. tables that aren't "Evil Kineval" sized and steep doesn't bother me...

Can anyone recommend the right trails to start off on...to get the feel of the terrain...and then gradually start hitting the bigger stuff???

I REALLY don't want to meet any EMTs on this trip...unless it's the bar..:D

Thanks!

with out being sarcastic.................

Start on the greens then go blues and black and double black.

If you can ride as you say. The above is a great progression and gives you a taste of what the creek has to offer.
the trail steadily progress and they get gnarily. Have fun. Inspect all features prior to hitting them and 99% of stuff has a go around!!

ride safely!!

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
with out being sarcastic.................

Start on the greens then go blues and black and double black.

If you can ride as you say. The above is a great progression and gives you a taste of what the creek has to offer.
the trail steadily progress and they get gnarily. Have fun. Inspect all features prior to hitting them and 99% of stuff has a go around!!

ride safely!!
Yeah....I kind of asked for that...looks like there are WAY more jumps than Snowshoe...which is great...because if I don't do anything else this summer, I want to learn how to whip...I hear it's all in the take off???

THere are apparently some HUGE drops up there...and I'll prolly avoid those...I'm more of a DHer...not an FR type guy...but it looks like there are a lot of doable tables that you don't have to send 30' to clear...I guess I will take the "bunny trail" down first...as humiliating as that is...it's prolly the way to go.

Thanks for the info Bros!

I meant it when I said I wasnt being sarcastic.

WHat I should have said was:

Diablo has a LOT to offer. about 16( maybe 18) BIG tables 3 little ones and a plethora of SICK rock lines. Gnar!

Have at it slowly. Warm up. Get the lay of the land and then rip what you liked! The two sides of the mountain have different feels. The riders right is more freeride with some good Black DIamond rock trails thrown in and a GREAT "beginners" run or two with mini wall rides and bridges and arches and the riders left if mostly sick rocky runs with lots of choices!!

If you start easy you'll get a good warm up and meet loads of people to show you around!

I rode today and it's nice and tacky!! Get on it!!

Jeromev

Chimp
Jun 16, 2009
Long Island
A nice one to warm up on is Ego Trip. I think it's a good one to warm up on because it's not steep and you can control your speed and build up to going fast without slamming on the breaks the whole way down. Trust me I like pinning it, but it takes me 1-2 runs to get used to going fast.