Quantcast

Diablo June 25/26

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Some Diablo camping options...

Wawayanda State Park

Beaver Hill campground ...uuuhhh..huhh..he said beaver....

Sun Air Lakeside Camp
Phone: 201-697-3489
Address: 115 Cozy Lake Rd Oak Ridge, NJ

If you decide to stay at Sun Air you might want to avoid campsite Wild #4...it might still smell like a toxic waste dump :devil: :D ...otherwise, it's pretty nice.

I can't make it to Diablo this coming weekend but there should be some Team XXL folks riding.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
whale said:
i'll be heading up there with stiff in his milfmobile. dbr is also planning on meeting us up there on sunday.
Well, if fortune smiles upon me and my rib injury & poison oak heal up enough, you all may run into me somewhere besides the 'shed for once. Where are you guys staying or are you just day trippin'? What opportunities for merrymaking exist in the land of alcohol-free state parks?

BTW, if the answer has anything to do with why the "Wild #4" site Damien mentioned reeks, please forget I asked! ;)

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
waywayanda was something like $5 a person. Really cheap. No alcohol allowed and you have to sit thru a lecture about how to not get eaten by a bear. Last time we were there we did alright keeping the beer on the d/l and it was cool; we definitely got rowdy. Chris I wouldn't worry about the alcohol-freeness - we've made pretty merry in all of the above-mentioned camping zones and definitely left our mark.

To get there from DC take 95N to Jersey T-Pike, to I-287 North(or West?) to 23 North to 517 or something like that (it says To Mtn. Creek on the sign). Should be 4 hours on the nose from DC.

I can't wait for this weekend, it's gonna kick ass.

vogey40

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Puyallup WA
hey DH extreme,

Wawayanda dosent have any availibilities this weekend but we have two options 1-Bever hill for non-utilities is 29 dollars a day
utilities is 33 dollars a day
and its about 10min from mt creek

2-high point state park which is about 30 min but the camping is a cheaper
a six person site is 15 dollars a night
both places have availibilities Fri-sun, but both places need rsvp in advance . I'm all about cheap.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
We at Team XXL of course have no camping plans sorted and will probably not have any until we fall asleep saturday night somewhere in NJ. Full days riding both Sat and Sun.

* I like Beaver - it's very close, has showers, and I think they have a pool but I might be making that part up.
* There's also a church you can stay at for $5 + one chore. AT thruhikers know about it. But a catch: no explosions, sinning, etc.
* Mapquest directions lame - it puts you thru Newark
* Sun Air - a bit far from Diablo given the price and quality.
* Trails: BMW is the best natural descent in the region. Straight off the lift and u-turn to your left onto a steep narrow track. Bring the huevos, weon.
* Bring spare parts - the "shop" there lacks but they could make a killing if they had the time to put some resources into it. You'll probably break stuff.
* Watch out for the New Jersey devil.

Jmight..

Chimp
Jun 6, 2005
NC
vogey40 said:
Ill see yall up there. Anyone who wants to can come hang out at our campsite
I wish I could make it up this weekend to join ya but im waiting on my new drivetrain and fork's being rebuilt! :-(

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
be joining my teammates on Sat. if I can sneak out Sat afternoon ( I will be in NYC already for wifes B-day)

Chris.............bring your armor!

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Steves:

I don't have any armor; will knee/shin, arm/elbow and a full face suffice?

Bear in mind it's me we're talkin' about- I panic if and whenever the Scream's rubber ever leaves terra firma!

BTW, what is wrong with the MapQuest directions(Newark?) specifically? That's all I've got. :help:

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
llkoolkeg said:
Steves:

I don't have any armor; will knee/shin, arm/elbow and a full face suffice?

Bear in mind it's me we're talkin' about- I panic if and whenever the Scream's rubber ever leaves terra firma!

BTW, what is wrong with the MapQuest directions(Newark?) specifically? That's all I've got. :help:
nothing wrong with the mapquest directions via the newark route, it's just the enormous toll fees you'll pay the way there and out. there is an alternate (to say scenic) route that will take you through princeton that is just about as fast and avoids the NJ turnpike.

i'll be wearing my biomechanical shoulder brace (if UPS comes through for me) to keep it steady so that i don't turn right so often and hopefully don't do more damage to my already separated shoulder(s).

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
whale said:
nothing wrong with the mapquest directions via the newark route, it's just the enormous toll fees you'll pay the way there and out. there is an alternate (to say scenic) route that will take you through princeton that is just about as fast and avoids the NJ turnpike.

DOOOD! HOOK ME UP!!! :help:

I don't wanna get screwed by all those *njguidos!

Could you email the route? [PM Sent]

*njguido.com or something like that...funny tongue-in-cheek clubbin' site

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Newark has heavy traffic. You can make a left in Philly onto 206 to northern NJ and then a couple back roads to Vernon, NJ. See a map - it's a little complex up around Vernon.

Or Dan posted a route I think that it similar to mapquest but turns left off the NJ turnpike before Newark.

Tolls for options 1 are $2-3 and for option 2 are $13. Driving time about the same, faster if you're Dan.

farrell

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
DC
I think I might come up on sunday for the day, if any one wants to ride and split the gas I got room.