Quantcast

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
go right ahead and keep riding **** full on all the time without looking because "You paid the lift ticket fee, it should be right...."

Learn the hard way taht people are people, humans make mistakes...........
Quoted for truth and reality. You probably should be able to assume everything is fine when you pay to ride, but common sense and self-preservation dictate checking out big features before you hit them. Especially on opening day at a mountain with limited resources and crew.

The example of walking (or riding) into the street without looking when the light turns green is spot on. You are perfectly within your rights to do so. It's also a really bad idea in the real world.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
Quoted for truth and reality. You probably should be able to assume everything is fine when you pay to ride, but common sense and self-preservation dictate checking out big features before you hit them. Especially on opening day at a mountain with limited resources and crew.

The example of walking (or riding) into the street without looking when the light turns green is spot on. You are perfectly within your rights to do so. It's also a really bad idea in the real world.
totally agree! if its the first few runs and they just started the chair lift im taking it easy, ill stop and make sure some things are clear. if i show up late in the day, im launching everything blind. at most resorts by 12-1pm there are enough other groups of riders i can tell if the trail is clear

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Especially on opening day at a mountain with limited resources and crew.
Some of the implied criticisms in this thread from the guys who ride Diablo is that from our point of view, the place doesn't have limited resources. It's a very popular mountain with high ticket prices.

However, basic trail maintenance doesn't get done on all trails, and basic safety procedures, such as trail sweepers, serious ropes to demarcate closed trails, etc do not happen.

Even Highland can manage these things with probably one quarter the ridership or less.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Some of the implied criticisms in this thread from the guys who ride Diablo is that from our point of view, the place doesn't have limited resources. It's a very popular mountain with high ticket prices.

However, basic trail maintenance doesn't get done on all trails, and basic safety procedures, such as trail sweepers, serious ropes to demarcate closed trails, etc do not happen.

Even Highland can manage these things with probably one quarter the ridership or less.
Well its sounds like there is a limited resource when they can't have a trail crew or do any trail maintenance for safety. From what I take from it the staff there wears white polo shirts and shorts and just stand and scan your pass at the lift...Have a nice day...

I can't wait til Northstar opens.:D

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Good god son....... can you not udnerstand what I say.......

I check my **** on my first run...... I ride the **** out of it after that.... NEVER did I say I check my **** every ****in run... thats retarded

Never did I say anything about the branchees being a ****ty idea, or that the people that put them there are absolved in any way...

There is no idealism here, its plain and simple, dont be retarded and put your full safety and trust into something you can simply take a few extra minutes to ensure for yourself......

Yeah you get seriosuly hurt, you sue, you win....... Ok you got cash, but your out of work, possibly paralyzed or whatever lifechanging serious injury you sustained...... when if you just nutt up and look out for yourself.... You lived, you did not get hurt by someone elses asshat move.......

I will not concede that I do check **** on every run, that is never what I said, that is never what I was promoting......

God I hate when people put words into my mouth for me despite what I am listing......

You youngins just go right ahead and keep riding **** full on all the time without looking because "You paid the lift ticket fee, it should be right...."

Learn the hard way that people are people, humans make mistakes..........

Not 1st run, learn to read.

The branches are a stupid idea, and if they weren't there, there would be no issue. NO ISSUE, THIS WAS NOT ANY OF YOUR OTHER SUPPOSITIONS. This was the resort's mistake, NO QUESTION.

YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO CHECK FEATURES FOR DELIBERATE OBSTRUCTIONS, EVER!!!!! IF THERE WERE NO DELIBERATE OBSTRUCTION, THERE WOULD BE NO ISSUE! THIS IS ********NOT******** THE SAME AS HAPPENING UPON A DOWNED RIDER, WHICH WOULD STILL NOT PRESENT THE LEVEL OF DANGER THIS DID.

You clearly dont know what idealism is. You're spewing it.

He did NOT get seriously hurt, he did NOT sue, he is rightfully complaining about a condition that should NOT have existed. It would ABSOLUTLEY be 100% the fault of the resort if he had.

Id you dont check obstacles on every run, then you absolutely and completely undermine this ludicrous notion of 'personal responsibility' that you are in repeating ad nauseum, despite not considering the breadth of that sweeping assertion.

No one put words into your mouth, you clearly made these statements and dont understand how they extend, and that is your own failure of comprehension, not anyone elses.

I am 42, no young buck and very pragmatic,and clearly get the picture that you're idealizing away from. I want Diablo to be there for my riding, for ME - if they make bad decisions like this that they cant defend, I lose. On that level, screw the OP, screw you, screw everyone - selfish me wants Diablo to CYA so I dont lose out.

You probably blame women for being raped, they dressed too provocatively, and should have known better...

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
totally agree! if its the first few runs and they just started the chair lift im taking it easy, ill stop and make sure some things are clear. if i show up late in the day, im launching everything blind. at most resorts by 12-1pm there are enough other groups of riders i can tell if the trail is clear
So, what if the ass***e that removed the closure sign/debris didnt do so until 12 on a trail you didnt get to until 12:30?

Can you assume that its ok then because its later in the day and you can safely assume that it's been ridden and is clear? Or maybe there's a solo rider down........

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
And leave god out if it...
What I see is alot of people can split the difference between theory and reality.... Yet you read my statements totally different that what is written....

Try riding with me one day...... Till then dont try telling me over an internet forum how I ride.....

Your missing what personal responsibility is........ And why people are refering to it.

NO its not the riders responsibility to get out and clear the trail, the situation is ****ty all around....... No ****..... Everyone here gets that, but for somereason you belive I do not.... how many times do I have to say it.

Watch yourself on your first run, Yes there is an expectation that the resort has the mountain in tip top and ready shape, but people **** up and miss things, or they just dont give a ****......... sometimes they cared too much and totally revamped that blind drop......... Why is it you absolutly refuse to see that in a simple check to look for something that has ben changed, the byproduct is that you would see something like this....

Yet when I say that, your telling me that means I stop and check everything on every run...... were do you get that? I say it flat out, that back when BB was around, I would cruise it on the first run down a trail.... next run I would go balls out.... Yet you read.... Every run I stop and check everything every time............

Maybe you dont check the run first, maybe its as simple as you asked another rider if theyhit it, and what it looks like...........

Its really not that complicated. Otehrs get, you simply refuse to.....

Im done with this ****...... Its a moot and retarded point, even the OP came back and posted that Yeah he should have looked before hitting a blind drop.......

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
So, what if the ass***e that removed the closure sign/debris didnt do so until 12 on a trail you didnt get to until 12:30?

Can you assume that its ok then because its later in the day and you can safely assume that it's been ridden and is clear? Or maybe there's a solo rider down........
I think what dirtymike is saying(and i could be wrong) that Diablo should have cleared it, but in the end-if you huck the gnar and land on debris or similar, and break your neck, sure, maybe you can sue, maybe you will win, but its still your neck broken. Can you revolt against whoever was at fault, sure, but its still your injury. I believe he means that it cannot hurt to look first run (especially first run first day)

Can a beaver go eat a tree and have it drop on the landing and talk to a bear to eat you when you fall-yes! Can that still hurt you? YES! Can you sue the bear? YES!

That said, wouldnt you be more happy if you were looking at the feature when another rider hit it blind and landed in the sticks? (in the sense you avoided it) I know if i was the OP, (who thankfully isnt hurt) i would be kicking myself.

Regardless who is at fault (and its a he said she said) why wouldnt you take precaution? I checked out everything first run, and i rode dominion to alpine.

All hate on diablo aside, i had a great day riding. See you all at the US open logger fest! :D

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head

i could also get there at 11:59am catch the villian removing the rope that blocked the trail then wrap the rope around his neck and my purple velvet bannana seat then drag him off anthem drop onto branches eh! it could happen!!! true story....

as for the rider down i mentioned that pages back..........

if there is a rider down after the anthem drop ill scoop him or her up with one hand as i manuel onto the branches in the landing. this will break a piece off the branches that flings up in the air, i will catch it and use as a splint for their broken leg as im launching tombstone kicker and deliver them to bottom so whats your point bro....... :rolleyes:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
So I was at Diablo today for opening day. This is my 8th season riding there. In general I am a big fan of diablo. I had already gone down tempest once, bypassing the anthem drop. Second run through there we head for anthem. No problem, hit it 100 times before. Anyone who has ridden this knows that you need decent speed to make the tranny. When on the bridge you cant see the landing until just before take off. This is what I saw:

At the time when I saw it, I had a spit second choice. Slam on the brakes on the bridge (not enough time) or try to land it. I went for it and got drilled head first into the ground as soon as I hit the branches. Keep in mind this trail was listed as OPEN. I destroyed my helmet and had my bell rung. We grabbed branches and tried to close it off at the start of the bridge.

I went to the office and told them what happened. I said they owed me a helmet for total negligence on their part. No one from the park would even come out to talk to me. They sent their EMT out. They had the EMT tell me that my helmet was fine I just need a new visor. They said I should have looked before I hit it.

Seriously??? I would have been ok with it if even someone came out and admitted that they screwed up. I'm lucky to have not broken my neck. Doesn't anyone check the trails before opening day? Clearly all that crap didn't fall last night. It looked like it was dragged there to close the drop. Why wouldn't they close it at the entrance?

Anyway, I will continue to ride Diablo as it is my local park and I have a season pass. I would just offer some warning that just because its open doest mean they cleared the trail. I feel I am at least owed an apology. Anyone from Diablo, I would love to hear a response.
Not 1st run, learn to read.

The branches are a stupid idea, and if they weren't there, there would be no issue. NO ISSUE, THIS WAS NOT ANY OF YOUR OTHER SUPPOSITIONS. This was the resort's mistake, NO QUESTION.

YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO CHECK FEATURES FOR DELIBERATE OBSTRUCTIONS, EVER!!!!! IF THERE WERE NO DELIBERATE OBSTRUCTION, THERE WOULD BE NO ISSUE! THIS IS ********NOT******** THE SAME AS HAPPENING UPON A DOWNED RIDER, WHICH WOULD STILL NOT PRESENT THE LEVEL OF DANGER THIS DID.

You clearly dont know what idealism is. You're spewing it.

He did NOT get seriously hurt, he did NOT sue, he is rightfully complaining about a condition that should NOT have existed. It would ABSOLUTLEY be 100% the fault of the resort if he had.

Id you dont check obstacles on every run, then you absolutely and completely undermine this ludicrous notion of 'personal responsibility' that you are in repeating ad nauseum, despite not considering the breadth of that sweeping assertion.

No one put words into your mouth, you clearly made these statements and dont understand how they extend, and that is your own failure of comprehension, not anyone elses.

I am 42, no young buck and very pragmatic,and clearly get the picture that you're idealizing away from. I want Diablo to be there for my riding, for ME - if they make bad decisions like this that they cant defend, I lose. On that level, screw the OP, screw you, screw everyone - selfish me wants Diablo to CYA so I dont lose out.

You probably blame women for being raped, they dressed too provocatively, and should have known better...
Sooooo, since you decided I need to learn to read....... I underlined the important part........ I do infact know how to read quite well...... this was the first attempt and look at the drop section.... he bypassed it on the first run on the other trail..... this was in fact the first run on this particular section......... In his own words you need speed, enough were you cannot stop once you actually see the landing.

From what I get from others this is a very short section, that only feeds the drop..... its not a waste to look first on your first attempt for the day............

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I think what dirtymike is saying(and i could be wrong) that Diablo should have cleared it, but in the end-if you huck the gnar and land on debris or similar, and break your neck, sure, maybe you can sue, maybe you will win, but its still your neck broken. Can you revolt against whoever was at fault, sure, but its still your injury. I believe he means that it cannot hurt to look first run (especially first run first day)
Can a beaver go eat a tree and have it drop on the landing and talk to a bear to eat you when you fall-yes! Can that still hurt you? YES! Can you sue the bear? YES!

That said, wouldnt you be more happy if you were looking at the feature when another rider hit it blind and landed in the sticks? (in the sense you avoided it) I know if i was the OP, (who thankfully isnt hurt) i would be kicking myself.

Regardless who is at fault (and its a he said she said) why wouldnt you take precaution? I checked out everything first run, and i rode dominion to alpine.

All hate on diablo aside, i had a great day riding. See you all at the US open logger fest! :D

Your not wrong at all...... that is in fact exactly what I have been saying.....

Krzr3000

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005

Agreed on all points. Its almost cliche to say highland is better than diablo at this point for those living in the NE. Personally i rode diablo a bunch years ago....but being equal distance from both = highland. Its refreshing to see what can be done, and what diablo ignores.

mklie

Monkey
May 25, 2007
Let me jump in again and share that Diablo has more then stepped it up with their customer service and trail maintenance. There was a tree down on Stalker today. It was not there last week (goes back to get ready for anything, this is DH). It was less then an hour from the text to the office to the remove of the tree from Stalker. I do mean tree as it needed to be cut to move. They also quickly took care of the down tree on Reality Show last week.

Last edited:

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Let me jump in again and share that Diablo has more then stepped it up with their customer service and trail maintenance. There was a tree down on Stalker today. It was not there last week (goes back to get ready for anything, this is DH). It was less then an hour from the text to the office to the remove of the tree from Stalker. I do mean tree as it needed to be cut to move. They also quickly took care of the down tree on Reality Show last week.
I would think removing a tree that is preventing people from riding the trail is expected at a pay to play resort. In fact, it should have been removed before they opened for the day. It takes what 10 minutes with a chain saw?

Last edited:

Krzr3000

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
:clapping: Fantastic, they did whats expected of them. Kind of funny that this is noteworthy, but i agree for diablo it is.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
The tree in question fell overnight, i can speak from somebody who was there late last night, the tree was NOT on the trail, the bulldozer was only 20 feet from it, it was fresh. They took care of it ASAP. props to diablo