Quantcast

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
What would it cost to pump that? Further, what would it cost to pump that while it speaks russian the entire time?

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
So is Shaun using the Diablo Facebook page to malign and detract from Mt. Creeks winter program? Thats what it would seem like after hearing he still has the password!

Pedaldamnit

Chimp
Dec 28, 2011
Vernon NJ
So is Shaun using the Diablo Facebook page to malign and detract from Mt. Creeks winter program? Thats what it would seem like after hearing he still has the password!
That's exactly what he is doing. The whole country is having a terrible start to the winter sports season... but he tries to make it out like Mt. Creek is the only place that's still on man made snow.

Extremely childish if you ask me.

Still has the password? He has full control over the Diablo facebook page and always will. He made the page so its his to do what he wants with, like bash mt. creek once or twice a week.

Smurfette

Chimp
Dec 29, 2011
What ever you all want to say...... The U. S. Open was a great event and you were lucky to have it there on the east coast...No one else has been able to put together an event here in the states with similar success with maybe the exception of Sea Otter. If there is not to be a U S Open at Mountain Creek in 2012 then that is a sad thing for East Coast DH.

The piling on by Platty locals trying to revive threads from 6 years ago just make you look very petty and unprofessional.

Pedaldamnit

Chimp
Dec 28, 2011
Vernon NJ
What ever you all want to say...... The U. S. Open was a great event and you were lucky to have it there on the east coast...No one else has been able to put together an event here in the states with similar success with maybe the exception of Sea Otter. If there is not to be a U S Open at Mountain Creek in 2012 then that is a sad thing for East Coast DH.
Just remember that another event like that can be made again. All he has rights to is the words "The US Open of Mountain Biking"... so we call it something else and continue on our way.

I think the growth of that park will explode when the word of new ownership spreads, that guy made A LOT of enemies and actually banned people from riding at the mountain.

Have no fear! The bike park will be better then ever!!!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
as has been stated previously, the us open existed only because diablo was not allowed to host a world cup event.

The piling on by Platty locals trying to revive threads from 6 years ago just make you look very petty and unprofessional.
still more professional than the now former manager of diablo, hamburglar the hutt.

Smurfette

Chimp
Dec 29, 2011
as has been stated previously, the us open existed only because diablo was not allowed to host a world cup event.

still more professional than the now former manager of diablo, hamburglar the hutt.
not sure what your point is ..... look at the races on the East coast other than the World Cup at Windham and the U S Open..... the racer numbers and national teams are not there. However many bridges he burned etc... he was able with the help of his staff develop an event the other promoters / race directors planned there events around. My Point is forget the person and his pitfalls .... The U.S. Open and what it brought to the East Coast DH scene will be missed.

more like stooping to his level

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
not sure what your point is ..... look at the races on the East coast other than the World Cup at Windham and the U S Open..... the racer numbers and national teams are not there.
Highland, Platty and Whiteface both have had ProGRT races with "national" teams in attendance

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
not sure what your point is ..... look at the races on the East coast other than the World Cup at Windham and the U S Open..... the racer numbers and national teams are not there. However many bridges he burned etc... he was able with the help of his staff develop an event the other promoters / race directors planned there events around. My Point is forget the person and his pitfalls .... The U.S. Open and what it brought to the East Coast DH scene will be missed.

ever been to the US Open?

It got worse and worse each passing year.

Attendance by "big teams" and media went down each year along with it.

As for "planning around it" all good venues work to plan around each other to attract riders and accomodate travel budgets.

US Open, Pro Grt are back to back for a reason. If He had been really smart he would have swallowed a bit of pride and scheduled the US Open around Mount St. Anne and Windham World Cups as best possible and he may have gotten a better turnout.

but being the "premier bike park in the US" he didn't care. So what you got was the US Open scheduled on the off weekend between European World cups on a few occasions.

The event was really nothing more than a collection of the "national teams" you seem to poke fun on and a small amount of world cup guys that ride for US based companies.

This would have been a good event for those riders to attend from a marketing perspective, but alas the owner of the event worked against the media and burned bridges along the way.

The event needed to go away, and come back when the right people were behind it.

Smurfette

Chimp
Dec 29, 2011
ever been to the US Open?

It got worse and worse each passing year.

Attendance by "big teams" and media went down each year along with it.

As for "planning around it" all good venues work to plan around each other to attract riders and accomodate travel budgets.

The event was really nothing more than a collection of the "national teams" you seem to poke fun on and a small amount of world cup guys that ride for US based companies.

This would have been a good event for those riders to attend from a marketing perspective, but alas the owner of the event worked against the media and burned bridges along the way.

The event needed to go away, and come back when the right people were behind it.

I agree with all this ..... and I never poked fun at National teams. I truly hope someone can create a similar even better event.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

yes. the us open was a big event. not as big as it used to be though. my first one was '04 or '05, and back then it was just massive. 2010 was tiny compared to a few years ago. This year I didn't even bother going to spectate.

the bigger problem with it was that it didn't represent a commitment to racing. it was a one-off event that was arguably a publicity stunt for the mountain. yes, it drew in a few big names and teams, but not the whole field like you would see at a world cup. as dave stated, part of the issue was scheduling, the other part is that there was only cash pay out. there were no UCI points up for grabs. this is because of diablo's refusal to deal with USAC, which also blocked any involvement with the UCI (The only real benefit to this was that the fees which normally go to the governing bodies - which are VERY high - were able to be redirected into the cash purse for the winners. Without the cash purse, the turnout wouldn't have been what it was). Despite all the issues with USAC (namely, the fact that they basically don't care about gravity racing, but there's plenty of others), they're still the only UCI recognized cycling race governing body in the US. The last few years have shown us that there are a number of very fast jr's who are coming up in the ranks of the US that have a good chance of being solid race competitors internationally. If all mountains took diablo's approach to race - and told USAC to eff off - there'd be no way these fast kids would be able to get into the international scene (arguably one of the reasons why Gwin was the first american to win a world cup in nearly a decade).

Smurfette

Chimp
Dec 29, 2011
yes. the us open was a big event. not as big as it used to be though. my first one was '04 or '05, and back then it was just massive. 2010 was tiny compared to a few years ago. This year I didn't even bother going to spectate.

the bigger problem with it was that it didn't represent a commitment to racing. it was a one-off event that was arguably a publicity stunt for the mountain. yes, it drew in a few big names and teams, but not the whole field like you would see at a world cup. as dave stated, part of the issue was scheduling, the other part is that there was only cash pay out. there were no UCI points up for grabs. this is because of diablo's refusal to deal with USAC, which also blocked any involvement with the UCI (The only real benefit to this was that the fees which normally go to the governing bodies - which are VERY high - were able to be redirected into the cash purse for the winners. Without the cash purse, the turnout wouldn't have been what it was). Despite all the issues with USAC (namely, the fact that they basically don't care about gravity racing, but there's plenty of others), they're still the only UCI recognized cycling race governing body in the US. The last few years have shown us that there are a number of very fast jr's who are coming up in the ranks of the US that have a good chance of being solid race competitors internationally. If all mountains took diablo's approach to race - and told USAC to eff off - there'd be no way these fast kids would be able to get into the international scene (arguably one of the reasons why Gwin was the first american to win a world cup in nearly a decade).
Actually some Juniors got more exposure from doing well at the US Open then any other event , Since in most cases it gave them the opportunity to race WC level pros. Something they couldnt do otherwise.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
yes. the us open was a big event. not as big as it used to be though. my first one was '04 or '05, and back then it was just massive. 2010 was tiny compared to a few years ago.
yet every year they set "records" with attendance for that event but lift lines have gotten smaller and smaller during the event. :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Actually some Juniors got more exposure from doing well at the US Open then any other event , Since in most cases it gave them the opportunity to race WC level pros. Something they couldnt do otherwise.
exposure, while good, doesn't earn you UCI points.

yet every year they set "records" with attendance for that event but lift lines have gotten smaller and smaller during the event. :rofl:
i was there on a "race weekend" over the summer. the only reason I knew a race was going on is because i happened to come across a trail that was taped off. i remember years ago when diablo's local races were big events with loooooooooooooong lift lines.