Quantcast

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Yes the US Open was pretty big for a while. However, I do not think we have seen the biggest mountain bike race on the east coast yet. Just show up at Whiteface on June 16/17 this year to race some big mt. dh and show the Olympic Regional Development Authority some numbers, and Whiteface will host a World Cup Event in the very near future.
More tba soon on our June race.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Exposure/results can get you on a registered UCI team though.

Not any more unfortunately. UCI closed that loophole last year so all trade team riders have to have the 20 UCI pt minimum to enter a World Cup round. They can always be on the team, but they won't be able to compete based on that alone.

National teams are still allowed to enter anyone they want so long as they are at least 17 years old. Juniors and up-and-comers can still get in the mix, but their options are much more limited than just a few seasons past.

Smurfette

Chimp
Dec 29, 2011
how is that a flip flop? please. explain it to me.
I don't know but I really wanted to use that line .... Haha.

On a serious note you were saying the UCI points were tatamount to the exposure generated by a good result at a Non USAC event....I would venture to say that a good result in a event such as the US Open against the Pro/elite field is better than a National title won in a field of 7 or 8 cat 1 juniors.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not any more unfortunately. UCI closed that loophole last year so all trade team riders have to have the 20 UCI pt minimum to enter a World Cup round. They can always be on the team, but they won't be able to compete based on that alone.
really? thats kind of a bummer. not that it affects me in any way...

I don't know but I really wanted to use that line .... Haha.

On a serious note you were saying the UCI points were tatamount to the exposure generated by a good result at a Non USAC event....I would venture to say that a good result in a event such as the US Open against the Pro/elite field is better than a National title won in a field of 7 or 8 cat 1 juniors.
my point is that exposure, while good, can only get you so far by itself. at the end of the day of the day you're still gonna need results to back it up. I could dress up in a gorilla costume for a race and get exposure even if I was DFL, because in all honestly, who DOESN'T wanna see someone race in a gorilla costume?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
yes. the us open was a big event. not as big as it used to be though. my first one was '04 or '05, and back then it was just massive. 2010 was tiny compared to a few years ago. This year I didn't even bother going to spectate.

the bigger problem with it was that it didn't represent a commitment to racing.
This^. All other problems aside, the US Open never really evolved in the 9 years its been running. That's a long time in a fairly dynamic sport for an event (and course) to remain relatively unchanged as other races and concepts evolve. The whole even got noticeably stale by around '08.

Smurfette

Chimp
Dec 29, 2011
really? thats kind of a bummer. not that it affects me in any way...

my point is that exposure, while good, can only get you so far by itself. at the end of the day of the day you're still gonna need results to back it up. I could dress up in a gorilla costume for a race and get exposure even if I was DFL, because in all honestly, who DOESN'T wanna see someone race in a gorilla costume?
Well I'm pretty sure I did say "Good result". Anyway I hope you are all right and something better comes along to take its place.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Bacon, Avocado and tasty fruit smoothies (involving blueberries).

Bring the awesome. If the new Mountain Creek (please erase the DFR name, its awful, call it bicycling madness, that would be a 1000% improvement in namingg) is not a lazy profit expecting corp, we will finally see this place become what it could.

There are a ton of more improvements that can be made to the existing network, and the options - provided increased access to the resort faces - are immeasurable. If the investor exepects primary high profits (like Shawn) then it will never happen, but if its managed by core ideals, this place has enormous potential. Always profitable - just a measure of margin - and who deserves the profit of it - community or an individual.

Kind of a microcosm of the corporate/investor entitlement ideal that dismisses individuals........

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
lolz.
Greetings Diablo Fans!

On this day we have some unfortunate news to share with you. As most of you know, Mountain Creek Resort was recently purchased by a local golf course developer and during this ownership change the bike park has gone through a tough transition suffering from executive pitfalls. Recently, the new owners of the resort offered Diablo Freeride Park a 5-year lease extension and unfortunately the terms of this agreement are not favorable for the future growth of the park and are clearly not representative of a resort that has a genuine interest in the sport of mountain biking.

As a result, we have declined to accept this offer to extend our existing agreement and Diablo Freeride Park is now officially closed for business. During the past 12 months, the resort has repeatedly and negligently breached existing agreements, caused unnecessary damage to the bike park and has adversely influenced the ability of the park to progress, expand or simply operate and provide a high level of service that you have come to expect. As a result, we can no longer invest time, passion and valuable resources at a resort that does not share our passion for the sport or respect for the community of riders that have called Diablo 'home' the past nine years.

The backstory...
While the owners of the resort were aggressive and motivated to sign an agreement that would continue the current Diablo / resort relationship, this arrangement would greatly inhibit our ability to offer our guests the high standard of quality you have come to expect over the past nine years. We devised an extensive, 5-year plan and investment commitment that would bring a plethora of new improvements to the park including several new downhill trails, tons of new terrain features and an all-new, innovative 20mile XC/FR trail network/center on the mountain top. We were motivated and committed to these projects, however, the risk of investing these significant resources without a proper & fair agreement is simply not a wise venture. Once bitten, twice shy.

Broken Promises...
In addition to various other operational issues caused by the new resort management, the 2011 season saw an immense amount of unnessecary park closures, trail damage, operating shedule 'broken promises' and various trail interuptions. This past September & October the bike park was completely closed for six weeks as a result of the resorts inability to properly maintain their ski trails and control erosion. After repeated requests, the resort refused to dedicate the proper resources to get the premise repaired and the park back open for business. Instead of honoring a contractual agreement to make speedy repairs, the resort focused on completing less important projects while mountain bikers were left stranded, frustrated and unable to ride their favorite park. This was simply unnacceptable. As a customer, you deserved better.

Furthermore, this past fall the resort management forged ahead and caused the demise and destruction of nearly $100,000 of developed mountain bike trails. Offering no advanced warning, explanation or plan to remediate or reimburse for the loss of these popular bike trails, the end result is an extensive amount of terrain and features that are damaged, destroyed and / or needing significant repair. These actions are not only in breach of contract, they are also not representative of a resort that has ambitions of growing the sport or a management team demonstrating respect for the mountain biking customer.

In closing, we made every effort to reach a mutually benefitting agreement with the current resort ownership, however negotiations have ceased and we have rejected their proposed 5-year lease extension.

***Perhaps as a final measure to save face for a season filled with tons of downtime and broken promises, Mountain Creek resort has at least agreed to honor all 2012 season passes that have been purchased to date.

With regards to the U.S. Open of Mountain Biking, negotiations are currently underway bringing the event to the Lake Tahoe region. More info soon!

A huge thanks goes out to all of our friends and loyal fans throughout the years! Hosting tens of thousands of riders from points across the globe, it has been a great adventure filled with many accolades and good times.

We appreciate your support
i wonder why they picked the Tahoe region :rolleyes:

Last edited:

bastard4life

Chimp
May 9, 2008
The Rotten Apple
I guess Shawn didn't like the comment that I left on the Diablo facebook page. It got deleted and now I'm locked out. All I said was, "Ding-dong the witch is dead. Now that Shawn is gone maybe mountain biking at Mountain Creek will actually progress."

the truth hurts!

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Perhaps as a final measure to save face for a season filled with tons of downtime and broken promises, Mountain Creek resort has at least agreed to honor all 2012 season passes that have been purchased to date.
how exactly do they plan to honor season passes if there's no bike park? :clue:

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
So is someone else taking over and renaming the park?

Those pictures of the flood are epic. I was there the first day it opened back up after that and it was a sheet fest!

-Brett

demo9pro

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
NNJ
A few monkeys have commented "don't worry" and "they'll be there next year" but does anybody know for certain what's going on as far as who will be running the mountain next season?
-signed anxious DHer

demo9pro

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
NNJ
Yes there will be DH at creek next year
No offense, but how do you know for sure? Are you yourself directly involved? I'm just wondering why there's been no official announcement about the future of the bike park. I've ridden there for years and I'm too lazy to travel any further.

Pedaldamnit

Chimp
Dec 28, 2011
Vernon NJ
No offense, but how do you know for sure? Are you yourself directly involved? I'm just wondering why there's been no official announcement about the future of the bike park. I've ridden there for years and I'm too lazy to travel any further.
I can 100% assure you that there will still be a bike park there. I will be taking part in the operations of the new park. The park is built, it will need to be re-vamped and a lot of dirt work will be needed. There will be very passionate and dedicated group of people making it happen. The past is now the past and we have a very bright future on the horizon. The park is only going to get better, hard work and love for the sport will GET IT DONE!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I can 100% assure you that there will still be a bike park there. I will be taking part in the operations of the new park. The park is built, it will need to be re-vamped and a lot of dirt work will be needed. There will be very passionate and dedicated group of people making it happen. The past is now the past and we have a very bright future on the horizon. The park is only going to get better, hard work and love for the sport will GET IT DONE!
sounds moar better already! :thumb: