Quantcast

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Any suggestions for other places to ride? Plattekill is 2.5 hours from me, and while that isn't terrible, I'd still like to have other options available.
The Whiteface Mountain Bike Park is 2 1/4 hours north of Albany, 40 minutes off the interstate and offers some long downhill runs at around 3 miles long (approx. 25 minutes).
Our web site is www.downhillmike.com as the bike park is a private business. Since we put on races out west in the winter, much of our site is currently dedicated to the big race at Bootleg Canyon. However, a few pages of current information for Whiteface can be found on the lower menu.
Support all bike parks to help grow our sport!
Next year the BIG mountain has some BIG plans.

Flat tyres

Monkey
May 30, 2007
Never in a million years did I think Platty would outlive diablo. Great news for all the old die hards that beat the issue into the ground. For all you new guys, prepare for the lamest drive on the planet. I'd rather go the dentist than drive up the thruway for 703km, get off and go another 534centuries into the woods. Im glad that arrogant ginger dickweed is facing hard times, also happy that Platty might make enough $$ to replace the slowest lift system in the US.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Never in a million years did I think Platty would outlive diablo. Great news for all the old die hards that beat the issue into the ground. For all you new guys, prepare for the lamest drive on the planet. I'd rather go the dentist than drive up the thruway for 703km, get off and go another 534centuries into the woods. Im glad that arrogant ginger dickweed is facing hard times, also happy that Platty might make enough $$ to replace the slowest lift system in the US.
lift speed ain't the problem, they run something like half speed in the summer. they just need a faster way to load bikes...

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Never in a million years did I think Platty would outlive diablo. Great news for all the old die hards that beat the issue into the ground. For all you new guys, prepare for the lamest drive on the planet.
never in a million years did i think diablo would last this long. platty has outlived and lived longer then almost every mountain in the country (for MTBing)
and if you judge riding by the drive to get there, then youre doing it wrong

Hey guys,

Just wanted to clear up some of the rumors that have been circulating and make sure the entire riding community is aware of the truth.

Some key facts I can share with you at the moment:

-Lift accessed DH/Freeride mountain biking will be alive and very well for the 2012 season at Mountain Creek Resort
-All those who have purchased season passes for the 2012 season will be honored
-The operation will be bigger and better than ever

Unfortunately these are the only facts I can share with you at this time.

See you all on opening day!

oobaa47

Chimp
Mar 26, 2011
Oh no, say it ain't so............platty and other locations for that matter, are simply not an option for me or many of my NJ brethren. We are talking about a 5-6 hour round trip commute. Why wouldn't the ownership of mountain creek be interested in keeping Diablo open? Couldn't they own the operation and then pay someone to manage/run it? From what I understand, the overhead is minimal and daily operating expenses low. It generates decent income during the summer months and is an excellant supplement to the other activities there (waterpark, coaster, etc.). I sure hope this is just an evil rumor........

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Hey guys,

Just wanted to clear up some of the rumors that have been circulating and make sure the entire riding community is aware of the truth.

-Lift accessed DH/Freeride mountain biking will be alive and very well for the 2012 season at Mountain Creek Resort

This is good news. Never been a Big Diablo fan, but I do like to have choices.

Can you reveal if ther will be a US Open?

On another note, last year I went to diablo on a week day. Forgot what time they opened and got there way to early. I watched bus after bus of people showing up for the Water Park. I can only imagine how busy that coaster is going to be. probably bring in more cash in one day than the Bike park does in a whole season. The way bikers were treated when the water park was open is the main reason I ride somewhere else after it opens. I can only imagine how bad it will be when the coaster opens as well.

anyway, good to see we will get another season, at least.
I do wish Blue mountain would reconsider, or somone at Sno Mountain / Montage will see some cash flow poterntial and start something.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hey guys,

Mark will you be involved with the park? It would be great to have you back.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oh no, say it ain't so............platty and other locations for that matter, are simply not an option for me or many of my NJ brethren. We are talking about a 5-6 hour round trip commute. Why wouldn't the ownership of mountain creek be interested in keeping Diablo open? Couldn't they own the operation and then pay someone to manage/run it? From what I understand, the overhead is minimal and daily operating expenses low. It generates decent income during the summer months and is an excellant supplement to the other activities there (waterpark, coaster, etc.). I sure hope this is just an evil rumor........
:nopity:

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
diablo updated their FB status stating 2012 season is on. thank goodness.:thumb:
"Diablo Freeride Park
Greetings Diablo fans and Happy Holidays! Planning for the 2012 season is well underway and opening day is set for May 5th!

In the meantime, be sure to break-out those skis & boards and head north to take advantage of some great skiing conditions! While our immediate area is getting pummeled with heavy rain, warm weather, ski resorts to the north are having a fantastic start to the season!

Stay tuned, bike season is just around the corner!"

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
eh, I hope the door hits them on the way out. The way they handle their business and treat their customers is atrocious. The "holier than thou" attitude when dealing with USAC and other east coast race series isn't helping anyone. I think their closing would be the best thing that happened for east coast riding, forcing people to head out to parks that actually care about the mountain biking community and have been for some time. Plattekill, whiteface, Jiminy, those places are all trying their hardest to make mountain biking a legitimate business, not a sideshow. FWIW, I regularly drive ~10 hours to ride at places that are worth riding, like Whiteface and Plattekill. Highland is the closest, but I'd still gladly drive 2.5 to attitash or jiminy as the riding at both places is pretty great.

Maybe this year Diablo will clear the trails on opening day, the one that's left.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
eh, I hope the door hits them on the way out. The way they handle their business and treat their customers is atrocious. The "holier than thou" attitude when dealing with USAC and other east coast race series isn't helping anyone. I think their closing would be the best thing that happened for east coast riding, forcing people to head out to parks that actually care about the mountain biking community and have been for some time. Plattekill, whiteface, Jiminy, those places are all trying their hardest to make mountain biking a legitimate business, not a sideshow. FWIW, I regularly drive ~10 hours to ride at places that are worth riding, like Whiteface and Plattekill. Highland is the closest, but I'd still gladly drive 2.5 to attitash or jiminy as the riding at both places is pretty great.

Maybe this year Diablo will clear the trails on opening day, the one that's left.

I think many of you are confusing the closing of a lift serviced mountain close to a major metro area as a good thing (i most definitely is a bad thing), with the ending of a certain someone's ownership of Diablo (definitely a good thing).

As stated above the park will be open for riding... this is good

The source of many problems seems to have moved on... this is good

Diablo - you know who = a better Diablo

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think many of you are confusing the closing of a lift serviced mountain close to a major metro area as a good thing (i most definitely is a bad thing), with the ending of a certain someone's ownership of Diablo (definitely a good thing).

i'll believe it when i see it.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

wow, two times in a week i agree with you.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm going to disagree here. I do think it's a good thing. Not that the closest park to NYC might be closing, but that a park that has consistently delivered bad service and lack of concern for its constituents is closing. I see that it might not be, but like JK, I'll believe it when it happens. I think it would be healthier for the sport to drive people to the parks that deliver to their customers first, than to see an easily accessible park that cares for the bottom line first, and customer experience second. Seems to me that for years Diablo succeeded only because their proximity to NYC. If you want that, go ahead. I don't.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I think it would be healthier for the sport to drive people to the parks that deliver to their customers first, than to see an easily accessible park that cares for the bottom line first, and customer experience second.
those two porsches aint gonna pay for themselves!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm going to disagree here. I do think it's a good thing. Not that the closest park to NYC might be closing, but that a park that has consistently delivered bad service and lack of concern for its constituents is closing. I see that it might not be, but like JK, I'll believe it when it happens. I think it would be healthier for the sport to drive people to the parks that deliver to their customers first, than to see an easily accessible park that cares for the bottom line first, and customer experience second. Seems to me that for years Diablo succeeded only because their proximity to NYC. If you want that, go ahead. I don't.
here's the thing. given the region they're in, how many people with good business sense and the passion for biking are there to successfully run a bike park?

yes, i agree that the loss of mtb at mt creek is a bad thing in that its proximity to a major metro area gives a lot of people access to riding that's convenient. but we can't assume that just because the old management (with whom people had a lot of gripes) is gone, doesn't mean we're gonna get better management in its place.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Oh sure...I wholeheartedly expect them to reopen with different and hopefully better management. I just don't know that seeing them go would be quite so impactful on "the scene", and any impact it does have, may not be quite as bad as others think (and potentially good).

I don't live in the area though, and I haven't been in a couple of years, as diablo is consistently at the bottom of my list when I think of "places I want to ride".

Flat tyres

Monkey
May 30, 2007
never in a million years did i think diablo would last this long. platty has outlived and lived longer then almost every mountain in the country (for MTBing)
and if you judge riding by the drive to get there, then youre doing it wrong
You must be a delta house pledge. This isnt the time or place to rehash the never ending argument that ends with the same 3 guys praising platty and 46 other guys agreeing its to far. And with highland becoming the new east coast mecca, well platty is still just 'platty'. Its not a bad thing to be, but its never gonna get the draw that modern resorts get. Now go back to playing beer pong in your underpants with your frat brothers.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
You must be a delta house pledge. This isnt the time or place to rehash the never ending argument that ends with the same 3 guys praising platty and 46 other guys agreeing its to far. And with highland becoming the new east coast mecca, well platty is still just 'platty'. Its not a bad thing to be, but its never gonna get the draw that modern resorts get. Now go back to playing beer pong in your underpants with your frat brothers.
I wouldnt agree with that, I usually ride Diablo 3-4 times a week, and i have spent a month at platty, and dont mind if i never go back to diablo, more trails, better condition, and a staff that actually cares, diablo lost the "vibe" and has been getting worse every year since 2006/2007. Plattekill may not get the same NYC draw, but if they keep doing what they are doing, i dont imagine they wont get more. I drive 2.5 hours a weekend to ride there, and i take along 3-4 X-diablo locals with me. It wont move any closer to NYC, but neither will whistler, and plenty of people are willing to travel to their mountain. (not comparing the 2) If platty keeps up with what its doing and still holds races and events, they will only grow, it was pretty damn busy there this fall, when the weather was 25 degrees outside...

Did i mention that diablo uses the same 5 race courses per year? for the last few 3,4,5? years, platty cuts a new 1 every month.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
So how come we hate on a guy who started his own business from the ground up and put out a product for us that nobody else even offered? He's abrasive in the way he overreacts, but I can attest that he actually does want DH to thrive. And he's put his money where his mouth is.

It's not like successful DH bike parts have a blueprint. Whistler is the exception b/c there is the expanse of the entire Northwest to draw people there. Diablo has no other appeal except to ride the park, so it will always be limited in it's expanse and will have to fight to succeed. Yet he chooses to continue to fight to make it work. When he succeeds at giving us a good product, we say nothing. When he falls short on money or service, he ridicule him ten times worse.

And what the heck is with hating on a guy with a Porsche. demo9's truck costs more than that thing, he contributes virtually nothing and we tolerate him. :D

Personally, I've never had to ride a bike park with the owner riding shotgun, so I could care less about their personality. :rofl:

Last edited:

ruralrider

Chimp
Nov 22, 2011
NY
HMM it would suck to see Diablo close as I have only ridden there once, but it would be awesome to see Plattekill hold a US open as well as a pro grt, especially seeing as they are re-vamping the parking lot quite a bit for more room:thumb:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
you talk about platty being "to far" and yet talk about Highland which is in the middle of Nowheresville, NH. :rolleyes:
of course platty is not going to get the draw that diablo does. but if those "46 other guys" or anyone else are too lazy to drive any sort of distance to ride, then most DH parks in the north east will be going out of business soon.
and no, im not a pledge. pledges fall asleep with their shoes on.

HMM it would suck to see Diablo close as I have only ridden there once, but it would be awesome to see Plattekill hold a US open as well as a pro grt, especially seeing as they are re-vamping the parking lot quite a bit for more room:thumb:
the US Open is a Diablo only thing and platty has already had two ProGurts

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
So how come we hate on a guy who started his own business from the ground up and put out a product for us that nobody else even offered? He's abrasive in the way he overreacts, but I can attest that he actually does want DH to thrive. And he's put his money where his mouth is.

It's not like successful DH bike parts have a blueprint. Whistler is the exception b/c there is the expanse of the entire Northwest to draw people there. Diablo has no other appeal except to ride the park, so it will always be limited in it's expanse and will have to fight to succeed. Yet he chooses to continue to fight to make it work. When he succeeds at giving us a good product, we say nothing. When he falls short on money or service, he ridicule him ten times worse.

And what the heck is with hating on a guy with a Porsche. demo9's truck costs more than that thing, he contributes virtually nothing and we tolerate him. :D

Personally, I've never had to ride a bike park with the owner riding shotgun, so I could care less about their personality. :rofl:
Not paying sponsors, banning riders and exiling others, making Sidewalk trails than leaving them to rut out 2 feet deep, not clearing trails on opening day and getting riders hurt, ignoring my emails about a piece of rebar sticking 5 inches out of the SRAM berm, firing employees, backing out of contracts,canceling races and screwing (some) people out of end of series results come to mind...

EDIT, i hope that the new management can tackle this and bring it back to its glory, its location and trail network can be really good, the old management is gone, so the potential is there, it just depends who picks up the pieces-i do want to see it thrive

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
as has already been stated in this thread, us open was a creation of diablo as a result of them not being allowed to host a world cup.

edit: and the parking lot revamp was a byproduct of them expanding their water basin for snowmaking.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So how come we hate on a guy who started his own business from the ground up
ground up? lol wut? mt creek ran a bike park prior to diablo. there was a few years gap between the two. i personally never rode there pre-diablo, so i can't comment on which trails were carried over.