Quantcast

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yes, brand new, right off the boat, spanking new gear, monster stickers on my lifted GM. Can you please give me some advice on how to bump up my post count and get more rep. I wanna be an internet superstar like yourself, its the only thing Im missing from my portfolio. And I take it you've played beer pong as well.
settle down beavis, don't get your color-coordinated PJs in a bunch. You sound like you were last picked for kickball (sorry about that). The only one dragging up the pkill vs. diablo business is you, you did see that, didn't you?

Diablo closing is good, mountain creek reopening with rejuvenated and interested management is better. Also, it's not a slight on them/him for trying to make money, it's because they tried to make money at the expense of their consumer....being successful is one thing...being a prick is another.

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
now i've been in the DH world for a bunch of time... started racing downhill at mountain creek in 2000, 2001, whatever year it was... then plattekill as well. I loved going to both places. Plattekill is my second home it feels like, i absolutly love riding that place. I ended up winning season passes to diablo for 2 years in a row, this was in 07 08. I felt like having the season passes burned me out on the place real bad, (i got sick of sprinting 100yards uphill into a jump line) so i stopped going there.

I think i went 1day in the last 2years and it just was not any fun for me. I still remember Marc T and Dom, and that whole crew having a blast back in the day and trails being real fun. I really hope they take over that place and re-open it with a focus on super sweet trails and customers, because lets face it, havin this many options in the northeast is crazy.

Plattekill
Sunday River
Whiteface
Highland
Jimminey
Mountain Creek
Mount Snow
Killington,
I am sure i am missing a few. But honestly all these places are within 5hours drive for me in CT. We are really lucky to have what we have. I dont like the management of diablo, but if new guys take it over, and focus on some fun trails that dont suck them dry of trying to maintain them. I think we will be good to go! Also being open and honest with the customer base on what is happening at the mountain (aka posting here and facebook with updates) will be really good for the mountains/ customer relationship

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
better than bromont?
its been some years since i made a visit to bromont (2005), unless they have made some radical changes SR is much better.
the crew working the mtn. is very motivated and have dirt on the mtn. to work with. Not a park with stunts but plenty of berms and a variety of trails. i am a fan of all of them, my faves are the ones off the back of the mtn, very technical and somewhat steep. ball joint and double vision are 2 trails that kick some serious arse.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
I have been biting my tongue for a while and waiting for this thread to gain some coherence and become a bit less sensational. Very glad that the well informed such as Mr. Tremain have chimed in and provided some insight into the situation. I have rode Diablo for the past 7 seasons, I guess I would regrettably be called a bit of a local.

However, for the past 2-3 years the only reason I patronize the mountain is due to convenience and the good old friends there. Having travelled extensively for racing, I have found that the tired terrain there just doesn't really do it for me. I have to cut the trail crew some slack there is only so much you can do with that sandy silt and those obnoxious rocks and bottle neck cause by the waterpark near the bottom of the mt. The soil is prone to erosion and the place sees a ton of traffic. Many other mountains are blessed with a better incline, elevation, terrain and soil, none have the location. That being said their efforts at armoring trails, building berms, drainage, and maintenance are significantly misguided of late with the departure of dedicated, knowledgeable trail staff.

Has there been any consideration of the moving bike operations to south? It would avoid interference with the mt. coaster, and waterpark traffic and start on a clean slate. I have been looking at a topographical map of the hill and it looks interesting if not as consistently sloped. Mark what might be the bike capacities of that lift? I think it would take a change of that magnitude to get me re-interested in the hill.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
That being said their efforts at armoring trails, building berms, drainage, and maintenance are significantly misguided of late with the departure of dedicated, knowledgeable trail staff.
you mean random half-assed water bars arent a good idea??
if you want to see what good trail maintenance and drainage looks like, look at Highland

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
from the topo South's elevation looks about 40' taller and the lift perhaps 20' lower approximately.

I would be interested in scouting and reconnoitering the area with Hudson for ****s and giggles, perhaps I will talk to Mark, always wanted to check out his handy work at the Terrain Park, though I don't hardly snowboard. Bet they are blowing serious snow today...

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
you mean random half-assed water bars arent a good idea??
if you want to see what good trail maintenance and drainage looks like, look at Highland
Seriously! I was up for closing weekend, when they opened "Bone Saw". I couldn't believe the level of trail building being done! The kind of stuff amateur builders dream of!

oobaa47

Chimp
Mar 26, 2011
Can someone just clarify, that the reason it will definitely open next is due to the lease not expiring to the end of the 2012 season? What happen with current ownership & employees? Any chance of crystal springs terminating current lease?

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
If you crash early at Whiteface and are unable to ride anymore we would comp you any other day that year, or the following year. Lazslo would probably do the same. If the mountain is staffed by employees, they can't make that decision and must do as they have been instructed. That can be 1 great advantage of doing business at an owner/operated bike park or resort.
I tell anyone that has happened to that "we will do exactly as you would if you were the owner". Hoping that's what they would do?

Support all bike parks!
Viva La Downhill Biking!

Lazlo rain checked my and my friend's tickets when my friend was hurt on the mountain one day and I had to drive him home. I'm 5 minutes from Diablo. Still I find myself driving the 2.5 hours to Platty more than I go to Diablo these past couple years. The place just held no attraction for me anymore.. I really hope a change for the better is in Mtn Creek's future!! :)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
we are very lucky up here...earlier this year we took a 1 way flight to Boston rode 3 resorts, 3 states, 3 days...

this thread is so ridiculous, everyone arguing about personalities when the resort came out and said flat out the mountain will be open next year. just shut up.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
2.5 Hours is nothing. We make day trips that are 3-3.5 hours each way. I'd call you all spoiled children, but then again I get to ride DH year round. :P
You even look spoiled compared to my drive. I have to go 6 hours to get to snowshoe and over 13 hours to get to Diablo and another 2 hours to Platty. I don't want to hear any complaining!

-Brett

wfoerk

Chimp
Jan 6, 2010
eh, I hope the door hits them on the way out. The way they handle their business and treat their customers is atrocious. The "holier than thou" attitude when dealing with USAC and other east coast race series isn't helping anyone. I think their closing would be the best thing that happened for east coast riding, forcing people to head out to parks that actually care about the mountain biking community and have been for some time. Plattekill, whiteface, Jiminy, those places are all trying their hardest to make mountain biking a legitimate business, not a sideshow. FWIW, I regularly drive ~10 hours to ride at places that are worth riding, like Whiteface and Plattekill. Highland is the closest, but I'd still gladly drive 2.5 to attitash or jiminy as the riding at both places is pretty great.

Maybe this year Diablo will clear the trails on opening day, the one that's left.
You're just talking stupid. Perhaps you jaded racers need to be shmoozed by people that worship racerboys, but us regular joes don't give a crap about the attitude of the staff. I just go to ride a lift served mountain. No, the death of Diablo wouldn't be the "best thing that happened to east coast riding." It would just kill it for the regular joes. Oh, that's right, you don't give a give a rat's pitootie about us guys.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
You're just talking stupid. Perhaps you jaded racers need to be shmoozed by people that worship racerboys, but us regular joes don't give a crap about the attitude of the staff. I just go to ride a lift served mountain. No, the death of Diablo wouldn't be the "best thing that happened to east coast riding." It would just kill it for the regular joes. Oh, that's right, you don't give a give a rat's pitootie about us guys.
Nope.

Pete..

Monkey
Feb 11, 2009
Santa Cruz
Oh, really?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
what drugs are you on? I've been riding for over 10 years (first was at Song mountain in upstate NY in 1996 or 97) and tried my hand at racing last year for the first time, excluding random events previously. Before last year, I rode exclusively for pleasure. "youts guys" is me. I care very much about the attitude of the staff. I was injured once at plattekill and another time at whiteface, and both times I was treated very professionally, much better than what you hear about diablo. I've contributed my free time to multiple trail building days. I go out, drive, and support the guys who make the MTB community the real deal, like downhill mike, the folks at highland, and yes, the folks at plattekill. I don't care about racing; I won't be in 2012, but I will be riding and supporting the mountains that give back, even if a large chunk is to other racers.

I'm sorry your buddy got fired from your favorite local hill, but like anything in nature, the weak and the sick die first, and the strong keep going. I'm not sorry that i'd like to see the strong mountains get stronger. Just because diablo might be the closest, doesn't inherently mean it's the best choice. Yeah, you can get mcdonalds on any corner, but maybe you should drive a tiny bit further for the real thing.