Quantcast

Diablo ski trails growing and bike trails shrinking

Nov 17, 2009
Plattekill, BRO!
Wow, bitching about diablo trails/price. go anywhere else in the country then complain. The amount of riding you can get in with those lifts in a day+ the number of different trails. Ya $35 bucks is a real ripoff....

Maybe you guys should just cut your own trails. Deteriorating trails make it more challenging anyways. Might be the only way to make Diablo tough to ride.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
more like $38. next year will probably be $40...

Funny, for one day of riding at Diablo, you can get 2 days of riding at platty...

Wow, bitching about diablo trails/price. go anywhere else in the country then complain. The amount of riding you can get in with those lifts in a day+ the number of different trails. Ya $35 bucks is a real ripoff....

Maybe you guys should just cut your own trails. Deteriorating trails make it more challenging anyways. Might be the only way to make Diablo tough to ride.

Idk after riding places like N*, Mammoth, and Whiteface, Diablo doesn't hold a candle.

You def won't get in as many runs at Mammoth or Whiteface, but then again, you can't do 10-20+ minute runs at full clip. The only way to do that at diablo is to drag your brakes.

Edit: if you wanna have a tough day of riding at Diablo, drop acid before you get on the lift.

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
True. I mean, Diablo is fun, and not a bad deal. But you're right, the difficulty and intensity of riding there is a total joke. Even the rockiest and steepest of trails are like highways.
But, it is a local place to some people and the US Open trail does include a mixture of all types of terrain.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
True. I mean, Diablo is fun, and not a bad deal. But you're right, the difficulty and intensity of riding there is a total joke. Even the rockiest and steepest of trails are like highways.
Way to quote me out of context, ass. Brush up on your reading comprehension skills, I made no mention of degree of difficulty. I was only referencing length of runs.

Ok....at the risk of flaming and being flamed.........

If the case for you is that EVERYTHING at DIablo is a "HIGHWAY" and the degree of difficulty is a "total joke"..........why then "sir" are you not WINNING every race there? inclusive of the Pro races?

I mean if it's all a joke to YOU..........you should be the number 1 rider there.....always? No?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

If the case for you is that EVERYTHING at DIablo is a "HIGHWAY" and the degree of difficulty is a "total joke"..........why then "sir" are you not WINNING every race there? inclusive of the Pro races?

I mean if it's all a joke to YOU..........you should be the number 1 rider there.....always? No?
Actually, his comment was a smarmy response to my comment (which he conveniently chose not to post in its entirety) and made a piss poor attempt at putting words into my mouth.

My comparison between the mountains was in regards to length of runs, nothing else.

Fall Guy

Chimp
Sep 4, 2007

I cant believe you guys are even biting at that.

jbro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2007
This might have been mentioned somewhere in the million of posts but they f---in took crap chute out. You mutha F---as!!! That step up into crap chute was this seasons goal!

I understand why the ski trails need to be widened, go on any weekend and vernon is like times square on new years eve, but removing crap-chute did nothing to ease congestion on the mountain.

Does diablo have any say in trail work?

mklie

Monkey
May 25, 2007
There is still 3 years left on Diablo's 5 year lease. Realizing this is NJ they will make $ anyway they can so I would not expect it to go away anytime soon until someone get seriously hurt (not that this did not happen, just that not enough attention was made of it).

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?

Because he is da sh!t.

Instigatr

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
New Milford, NJ
Idk after riding places like N*, Mammoth, and Whiteface, Diablo doesn't hold a candle.

You def won't get in as many runs at Mammoth or Whiteface, but then again, you can't do 10-20+ minute runs at full clip. The only way to do that at diablo is to drag your brakes.
Is the drive to Whiteface really worth it? I heard it isn't. (Looking for honest answers here, but know I'm gonna get crappy internet wiseass remarks)

(Driving from Bergen County, NJ)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Is the drive to Whiteface really worth it? I heard it isn't. (Looking for honest answers here, but know I'm gonna get crappy internet wiseass remarks)

(Driving from Bergen County, NJ)
In terms of quality of trails, maybe maybe not. Granted, I haven't been there since 2006. Though it seems they have expanded a decent amount since then.

But its the only place on the east coast (lift access) you can find super long descents like this. My first time there, full day of riding I only got 7 runs. Fastest was maybe 15-20 minutes. The 5k race is a t2b (top to bottom race). Top pros at race speeds are doing it in what, 7 minutes?

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Just under 8 minutes for last years 5 K DH but this years course may add a minute (since there is more single-track).
Whiteface is not for everybody. Experts, pros and those that want to get better love the top of the mountain, and say plenty of flow.
I would say if you want to get better at technical riding, get stronger, like long challenging runs that are 100% downhill in a spectacular setting, the drive is worth it.
It's also the whole experience as there are so many other choices of activities for the bikers and non bikers.
Cliff diving (30 to 40 footer) off of a bike trail is one example I can think of for the adventurous. The new Kyle Ebbett dirt jumps will surely be popular after our lifts close.

Oh, if your coming from New Jersey the drive is only 4 or 5 hours to get to some big mountains. When I lived in Buffalo (5.5 hour drive) I came up at least 1 weekend a month to get to the mountains.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
whiteface has some killer trails. they don't have a lot of variety in trails, like diablo does, but the trails are very different top to bottom. In other words, you won't get a jump run, or a super tech run the whole time, but you will get tech into fast into tech into smooth into fast again...in the course of 10-20minutes. Some of my favorite sections of trail, bar none, are there. Others are kind of lame and come up lacking, but that's the same as any other mountain. Also, whiteface is probably 3-4 times a run at diablo, it's pretty sad.

tl;dr it's definitely worth the trip...maybe not every weekend but AT LEAST once if not twice a season. I should be up for opening day and again later this season.

jbro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2007
since they mangled crap chute, does anyone know how they are rerouting asylum?