Quantcast

Diablo ski trails growing and bike trails shrinking

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
For the record...nearly two thirds of the trail crew were out most of the season with broken/dislocated wrists so hopefully next year they can stay healthy and put in some serious work.
a construction crew with injuries are not too effective... and no offense to the crew, useless.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
i did see one of them out with a pick-ax one day going at it one handed, pretty hardcore but yea gotta be tough to get **** done with one hand...

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
hahaha yea but dude was wielding a pick ax...he wasn't just...dicking around per say....but hey accidents happen everyone crashes...even good riders

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
lol how effective is anyone when using jus one hand to do anything...i appreciated the hardcore effort though...ps u ever get those pics from asylum back in the summer?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
yeah, they all came out like sh!t. i bonked right when i started to setup to shoot and on top of my flashes not working, only a few came out okay.
when i get back to PA tonight, ill check em out again and send you some

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
It's a joke, amigo, based on the fact that supposedly most of the staff got injured biking...

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
It's a joke, amigo, based on the fact that supposedly most of the staff got injured biking...
so your saying since i hurt myself a lot this season im not a decent rider? since when is your riding level based on injuries? damn i must suck!

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
i was there on saturday first time in a couple months, and now more than ever i know why i go less and less. diablo has some awesome trails, but everyone cant b wrong about what we r seeing, not to mention the whole "we are the best so pay out the a** for everything attitude"

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i was there on saturday first time in a couple months, and now more than ever i know why i go less and less. diablo has some awesome trails, but everyone cant b wrong about what we r seeing, not to mention the whole "we are the best so pay out the a** for everything attitude"
:thumb:

smoke brakes

Monkey
May 18, 2007
one step closer to the lord
ummmmm ? scratches head ....

if i hire someone to "dig hole " and they lose arm " taking insanely crazy risks" - like i dont know, lets say, riding a bike over baby head sized rocks at mach 11 , or throwing one self off wooden bridges onto solid ground, when this said employ gets injured , im still in need of someone to dig hole ...
hire someone else
- hole gets dug - clients are happy - i get paid
dont know seems logical ?

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
The only "attitude" appears to come from some people here that have nothing better to do than complain about Diablo. The fact is that the VAST majority of customers, especially first timers, love that place. I can tell you this first-hand having wrenched in the shop for a good portion of the season as well as being part of the trail crew in preparation for the US Open. You can't deny that the place is a phenominally fun place to ride and it's impossible to please everyone. The people at Diablo make a great effort to keep the majority of the mountain clear of debris, but keeping an entire mountain in flawless shape with a limited crew isn't realistic. I've seen Diablo guys post on here and say quite frankly "If you're going to complain about it that much, then don't ride there", and I completely agree with them. That's more room on the trails for guys like me that ride there all the time and value the quality and variation that they offer.

And demo9, this is just my opinion, but the fact that you're helping to bash a mountain that just gave you a brand new bike (equipped with a sick fork) for winning a race series really makes you look like a fool. Had Travis not missed races due to injury, that shiny new bike would most likely belong to him right now, but that's neither here nor there.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
did i not say diablo has awesome trails?! but its not the rider friendly place it was the first time i came there 3 years ago. in reguards to the beginers who love it they dont know any better, its their first time!!! they are just happy to be dhing!!
i am not taking away from the hard work from the trail crew, but double check the title of the thread.
people who love the trails we lost, and spend money on lift tickets, shirts, stickers (imagine tv networks paying advertisers to run commercials, yea we pay diablo to market their product)dont like what they see.
every company goes through growing pains, just dont forget about where you came from

Fall Guy

Chimp
Sep 4, 2007
The only "attitude" appears to come from some people here that have nothing better to do than complain about Diablo. The fact is that the VAST majority of customers, especially first timers, love that place. I can tell you this first-hand having wrenched in the shop for a good portion of the season as well as being part of the trail crew in preparation for the US Open. You can't deny that the place is a phenominally fun place to ride and it's impossible to please everyone. The people at Diablo make a great effort to keep the majority of the mountain clear of debris, but keeping an entire mountain in flawless shape with a limited crew isn't realistic. I've seen Diablo guys post on here and say quite frankly "If you're going to complain about it that much, then don't ride there", and I completely agree with them. That's more room on the trails for guys like me that ride there all the time and value the quality and variation that they offer.

And demo9, this is just my opinion, but the fact that you're helping to bash a mountain that just gave you a brand new bike (equipped with a sick fork) for winning a race series really makes you look like a fool. Had Travis not missed races due to injury, that shiny new bike would most likely belong to him right now, but that's neither here nor there.
When I started this tread and with each post I tried to keep it from becoming a Diablo bash. Truth is I think Diablo is a great place and all the people I have ever met that work there are great people thats why I have been a customer since the first opening day of Diablo and each year since. I know the trails and features that are removed are for the most part not Diablo's fault but something needs to be done about the issue of lack of options for the whole lower half of the mountain to keep the interest of long time customers like myself. I know a lot of hard work goes into building whats there and maintaining so props to the people involved.

PS, I dint see any bashing from Demo 9.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
When did i start bashing? Bashing like how i defend the series in the DH section, which outside of Diablo is considered a joke. I also apologize for not being faster than Travis at DH, but i played it safe to get the bike. i raced each race 85-95% and waited for him to mess it up, way faster rider but too reckless. Its all strategy. If he was in my class next year, same deal. i can beat him in indycross, but he will beat me in DH by more people.

I ride the mountain all the time and not only because its close, i also buy a season pass each year, I will also race every race next year as well. I have ridden each year since 05 and lots of maintenance was done each year up until this year: Deny it or not. I am not the only person complaining-I didnt even start this thread. However the truth is the truth, this year had almost no maintenance (noticeable maintenance) I pick rocks off trails and clear trees. I will always do so, the trail crew cant find each and every rock each day, but Waterboy, the main entrence is closed for 2 seasons now because a tree fell on the first bridge, the bridge is 4 feet long. This could take a few hours to fix MAX. It sucks that the trail crew broke their arms and such, however, as a business owner its time to find an alternate solution. If you own an auto body shop and your painter (you have only 1) gets hurt. Do you stop painting the cars, or find another way? I will continue to ride diablo, their races series is great (unless you are sport) And they throw bikes out to the winners. However, i wont excuse the lack of trail maintenance because i got a bike.

Reading comprehension is a beautiful thing, call me out as much as you want to, but try to get it right next time

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
It sucks that the trail crew broke their arms and such, however, as a business owner its time to find an alternate solution. If you own an auto body shop and your painter (you have only 1) gets hurt. Do you stop painting the cars, or find another way? I will continue to ride diablo, their races series is great (unless you are sport) And they throw bikes out to the winners. However, i wont excuse the lack of trail maintenance because i got a bike.

Reading comprehension is a beautiful thing, call me out as much as you want to, but try to get it right next time
The ability to use punctuation correctly as well as form a complete sentence are also beautiful things, but that's beside the point.

I just find it amusing when I see people complaining about Diablo and then watch those very people ride there all the time.

You seem to have quite an astute business sense. Might I suggest contacting Diablo management to share your small business prowess. They obviously need your input. It's not like they demonstrated the ability to thrive during a recession or anything.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
The ability to use punctuation correctly as well as form a complete sentence are also beautiful things, but that's beside the point.

I just find it amusing when I see people complaining about Diablo and then watch those very people ride there all the time.

You seem to have quite an astute business sense. Might I suggest contacting Diablo management to share your small business prowess. They obviously need your input. It's not like they demonstrated the ability to thrive during a recession or anything.
What bike park didn't thrive, everybody i know is still going to ride just because the economy went to ****. Only difference i saw was that not as many people could afford to ride Platty as much as they wanted to (me, and a few others at least). 3.5 hours at 13mpg sucks, as opposed to the 45 min to Diablo. If diablo does not fix the trails next year, ya, unfortunately ill be there, there really is no alternative which IMO is where the attitude starts. It isn't only me who feels that "well its not like they have somewhere else to ride" its near the city, there is nothing near it, who would compete. As far as business goes they did a good job, CS, not so much, but i guess who cares if u are making money. For what its worth, they second they start doing any maintence after the us open, ill shut my mouth and eat all my words, until then i think they need to maintain their trails. (im not even talking about braking bumps on alpine either)

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Justin just stop talking.

After riding other east coast mountains for the first 3/4 of the season I took a day trip to diablo with a friend. We were disgusted with how beat up and boring it was. The fact of the mater is, diablo isn't competing with the other east coast mountains and they're charging just as much, if not more. If this continues for a few more years diablo isn't going to be around.

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
Justin just stop talking.

After riding other east coast mountains for the first 3/4 of the season I took a day trip to diablo with a friend. We were disgusted with how beat up and boring it was. The fact of the mater is, diablo isn't competing with the other east coast mountains and they're charging just as much, if not more. If this continues for a few more years diablo isn't going to be around.
I doubt they won't be around in a few years.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Reading comprehension my friends...
If they continue to go down the path that they are now they aren't going to be able to make ends meet. With the introduction of parks like Blue and Highland the "freeride" niche that they had cornered is no longer theirs. People will eventually get fed up with paying high prices for trails that are falling apart.

Sep 23, 2007
as long as the cash keeps flowing in, nothing will change at diablo.

if you guys really want to see diablo change, speak with your wallets. Don't buy a season's pass next year, and don't waste $35 for a lift ticket next year.
boycott diablo ALL year next year, and maybe then they will get the message.

i had a seasons pass the prior 2 seasons. this year i went twice... next year... maybe i'll go once ;)

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
as long as the cash keeps flowing in, nothing will change at diablo.

if you guys really want to see diablo change, speak with your wallets. Don't buy a season's pass next year, and don't waste $35 for a lift ticket next year.
boycott diablo ALL year next year, and maybe then they will get the message.

i had a seasons pass the prior 2 seasons. this year i went twice... next year... maybe i'll go once ;)
more like $38. next year will probably be $40...