Quantcast

Diablo, Why The Hate?

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
For poops n giggles I was checking out the series standings on Diablo's website and I noticed something that was not right. "Proud Supporter of Boycott USAC" it said on one of the main pages.

A drop in the bucket but they just lost my business. VDH, now I understand.

Anybody know if there is a history between Diablo and USAC? I would think a large corp. like that could make some positive changes at USAC.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
For poops n giggles I was checking out the series standings on Diablo's website and I noticed something that was not right. "Proud Supporter of Boycott USAC" it said on one of the main pages.

A drop in the bucket but they just lost my business. VDH, now I understand.

Anybody know if there is a history between Diablo and USAC? I would think a large corp. like that could make some positive changes at USAC.

you still think Diablo is a large corporation:rofl:

and come on man, you are better than this crap. you have hundreds of posts on here regarding Plattekill and how awesome it is... stop trying to start ****.

it is no secret the vast dislike of USAC by a great number of racers and promoters. some complain while continuing to support, while others just choose not to support it anymore.

there is a big push for DH to break away from USAC at more than just a local level.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Everybody's talkin' 'bout Highland, Whiteface, Vertical, Diablo, Plattekill, Windham.........
lulz

I haven't ridden Windham - isnt it race only? Or am I missing yet another clue?

Diablo in the wet sunday shall be a moist technical jamboree! Anyone else risking the slippery rocky wrath?

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Why hate USAC? probably because they have half destroyed our sport and rape promoters and piss off racers because of lack of effort. They just want to make the $$ and run.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it is no secret the vast dislike of USAC by a great number of racers and promoters. some complain while continuing to support, while others just choose not to support it anymore.

there is a big push for DH to break away from USAC at more than just a local level.
Dave, I agree with your point. But look at the number of mountains in the NE that hold races, how many of them are USAC vs aren't USAC. I definitely agree that DH would benefit by splitting from USAC, but what good is a boycott if only one mountain is doing it? IMO, that's doing them more harm than good (I stopped racing Diablo b/c of lack of USAC points, and I know I'm not the only one). Now, if they were able to get some other mountains in on the boycott, it'd be a different story.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Dave, I agree with your point. But look at the number of mountains in the NE that hold races, how many of them are USAC vs aren't USAC. I definitely agree that DH would benefit by splitting from USAC, but what good is a boycott if only one mountain is doing it? IMO, that's doing them more harm than good (I stopped racing Diablo b/c of lack of USAC points, and I know I'm not the only one). Now, if they were able to get some other mountains in on the boycott, it'd be a different story.
complaining yet continuing to support does more harm than good... who said you HAVE to use USAC anyway?

and what are those points for? honestly? someone tell me because I have no clue, after racing for 15 years have never even looked at them.

I will spend money and suppoprt promoters who put on good events, run good tracks, and do not take advantage of their customers regardless of who "governs" it

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
So...just out of sheer curiosity (from someone who knows nothing about organized racing), could another organization somehow take US DH out from under the wing of the USAC?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
So...just out of sheer curiosity (from someone who knows nothing about organized racing), could another organization somehow take US DH out from under the wing of the USAC?

its done all the time. the only race that must be under USAC is national champs in order for it to be recognized by the UCI, but other than that there are plenty of races across the country that aren't sanctioned. So yes, another organization could do it if such one existed. but even then i'd have to ask what they'd expect to get out of it. resurrecting any sort of rider/team interest in a 'national series' per se would be a huge challenge. while domestic racing on a large scale was run into the ground for 8 years, europe has legitimized itself as the center of DH racing and i dont see that changing an time soon.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
what are USAC points good for anyway? they dont show whos the fastest in the country by the rank of people in each class. USAC is only good for "health insurance".

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
complaining yet continuing to support does more harm than good... who said you HAVE to use USAC anyway?

and what are those points for? honestly? someone tell me because I have no clue, after racing for 15 years have never even looked at them.

I will spend money and suppoprt promoters who put on good events, run good tracks, and do not take advantage of their customers regardless of who "governs" it

WORD! funny you can tell on this post who has been around for a while.
There are Several NORBA boycotted events now. If you look back to the past "National" events, most all of the resorts (promoters) who were involved and still hold races are sans USAC!

Why? Because they were losing money to USAC and doing all the work themselves while Norba took the loot. Granted nobody was making a killing
but, In my eyes USAC never invested in helping the sport reach the Profit
making level for any of us.

Yes I know they're not called NOrba anymore, but that tells you how bad the rep got. They changed the name to try and get out from under that tarnished rep a few years ago. Same game different name so I just call it like I see it.

So why would Diablo or anyone else who has their own insurance want to give the USAC 10 grand or whatever they're getting now to put an official USAC
brand on the event when half the riders will steer clear of the event because it has that brand attached to it. Snowshoe has also been successful with making the cut from USAC to do their own thing.

Last edited:

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
funny you can tell on this post who has been around for a while.

I guess the "JOIN DATE" gave me away.

But seriously thank you for a legitimate answer somewhat related to the question. In a perfect world, a brand name like USAC that recieves 10K a race, or whatever the amount, would provide certain services and swag to make racers and promoters know it's a sanctioned event. Things like number plates w/ logo, proper timing equipment/ tech support, trail maintenace support, official course marshalls/ markers, etc.

So if you're saying all USAC/NOrba did was take the money and run, then I am beginning to understand the hate. My next question is who are the crooks in charge of USAC and how do we replace them to make positive changes and put American DH in the spotlight. After all, freeride/DH IS the driving force of MTB sales in the last 8 years or so. Look at how MTB'ing is marketed in any magazine.....by exploiting the adrenaline rush provided by gravity.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Look at how MTB'ing is marketed in any magazine.....by exploiting the adrenaline rush provided by gravity.
Hah. How come I still always see ads with some clown walking through a stream with a reflector besmirched rigid hardtail hoisted to his shoulder.

spleen123

Chimp
Mar 18, 2009
i dont want to argue but i had two severe crashes in my carrier. I crashed at platty in 06 i lacerated my spleen, liver, punctured kidney and lung... I was life flighted out and voodoo you can vouch for me. My hospital bill was $185,000 for emergency surgery and a two week stay.... my insurance left me with $18,500 to pay on my own... i was 17 years old... USAC took care of all but $1,800. Get diablo to do that! thats my 2cents.

spleen123

Chimp
Mar 18, 2009
also its not 10k a race its two dollars per rider. However it is 10k or something like that to hold a national event though...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Wasn't everybody complaining of not enough promoters stepping it up to have sanctioned races so US racers can get UCI points to go to Worldcups a while ago? As far as I know USAC is the only UCI recognized governing body in the US. If you want to play with the big boys (WC) there is (currently) no way around USAC. Changing USAC from the inside is the only way I can see right now, as bad as it sounds. :(