Quantcast

Diablo's new lower race fews for 2010!

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
check out the new lower race fees for season pass holders in 2010! you asked for it a 2 years ago, so they worked with us last year and even bettered it this year. i know everyone is still gonna hate on the park but whatever. they realize we are hurting as an economy so they are trying to help us racers out.

cheers mate.

http://diablofreeridepark.com/diablogravityinfo.html

flame on.

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
gah i need to pick up my season pass this year. i was too lazy to get one last year and regretted it. lower race fees make it a no brainer now.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
gah i need to pick up my season pass this year. i was too lazy to get one last year and regretted it. lower race fees make it a no brainer now.
for sure, 40 bucks to race pro? thats where its at. i know some races where they charge you 100 bucks for the weekend, which is 10 time steeper than the mountain itself.

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
Looks good... However the footnotes don't really make sense. If you were to just look at the single event cost and follow the '**' footnote, the footnote would lead you to believe that you have entry to BOTH events and lift tickets for BOTH days. I think it should read something like this to make more sense:

*Includes entrance to GS discipline (Saturday) or DH Discipline (Sunday) - valid lift ticket required
**Includes entrance to GS discipline (Saturday) or DH Discipline (Sunday) and lift tickets for the day of the event
Also, assuming the entrance fee only covers a lift ticket for the day of the event (like last year) how much will the additional day be? $20?

Now all we need is a schedule!

PArider29

Monkey
Jan 20, 2010
back to NC
Looks good... However the footnotes don't really make sense. If you were to just look at the single event cost and follow the '**' footnote, the footnote would lead you to believe that you have entry to BOTH events and lift tickets for BOTH days. I think it should read something like this to make more sense:

Also, assuming the entrance fee only covers a lift ticket for the day of the event (like last year) how much will the additional day be? $20?

Now all we need is a schedule!
Agreed I'm not really sure what the footnotes mean, but again if like last year in order to win the Series prizes you needed to compete in the Indy Cross also to remain in the series points hunt.

But if you take the footnotes at face value as they are written - if you don't ride at Diablo any time except race weekends it is much cheaper to forego the season pass and just pay 100.00 a race weekend to ride and race DH and Indy Cross. Assuming a 5 race schedule of course.

PArider29

Monkey
Jan 20, 2010
back to NC
I hope maybe Diablo is just waiting for the GES schedule to be released so there is no conflict of race dates - that would be awesome. Give me a chance to hit more races.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I hope maybe Diablo is just waiting for the GES schedule to be released so there is no conflict of race dates - that would be awesome. Give me a chance to hit more races.
theyve never really cared about other mountains dates. with the mountains that are doing races this year, a lot of the year is getting filled up very fast.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
gotta give the guys over there credit though, for the people that perennially get season passes, paying an extra 30 to race is much easier to stomach then 70....but i can't say i'm a fan of having to race both indy cross and DH in order to be competitive in the points competition (if that is indeed how its going to work)

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
gotta give the guys over there credit though, for the people that perennially get season passes, paying an extra 30 to race is much easier to stomach then 70....but i can't say i'm a fan of having to race both indy cross and DH in order to be competitive in the points competition (if that is indeed how its going to work)
This year (that past) you could win a bike for winning overall, however, if you wont DH or Indy, you still won the prizes from the races, and at the end you would win HD helmet cams. Sure it isnt as good, but its also half the work.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
At these prices you can't afford NOT to race!!

I've had a season pass for the last two years and I'll probably get one this year. Might have to do a DH race or two just for fun.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Man diablo is such a sick fun place. I don't get how anyone can complain about it. That lift is insane. You can get 20 runs in a day without batting an eye. 30+ if you try. Good variety of trails and dirt cheap lift tickets.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Man diablo is such a sick fun place. I don't get how anyone can complain about it. That lift is insane. You can get 20 runs in a day without batting an eye. 30+ if you try. Good variety of trails and dirt cheap lift tickets.
O rly? One of its biggest (and closest) competitors has a 2 day lift ticket for $2 more than a single day ticket at Diablo.

Also, that lift is a double bladed sword. Its great that its fast, but a lot of people will tire out before the day ends. NTTAWWT.

Also, new lower race fews? what are race fews? :D

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
O rly? One of its biggest (and closest) competitors has a 2 day lift ticket for $2 more than a single day ticket at Diablo.

Also, that lift is a double bladed sword. Its great that its fast, but a lot of people will tire out before the day ends. NTTAWWT.
How is the fast lift a double edge sword?
1. You get more runs in
2. The weaklings get tired out and then in the afternoon the trails are empty

That sounds more like win-win?

$38 bucks for 30 runs? I'll take it! I'd hate to see what you guys would say about heavenly lift tickets in the winter...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
How is the fast lift a double edge sword?
1. You get more runs in
2. The weaklings get tired out and then in the afternoon the trails are empty

That sounds more like win-win?

$38 bucks for 30 runs? I'll take it! I'd hate to see what you guys would say about heavenly lift tickets in the winter...
At 30 runs even the toughest of the tough get tired. riding when that tired is a recipe for gettin hurt (especially on some of the trails). No sense risking an entire season for a single uber long day of riding. Just my $.02 :cheers:

Know why its called the two-thirds mountain? If you don't lets continue this in the grievances thread, as to not derail this one.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I plan on personally shoving jonKranked head up his arse since he can apparently only do it verbally. It would be better for us all if it was lodged up in there so he couldn't see the keyboard.

As for Diablo's lift. I've ridden there twice now at US Opens, with brand new brake pads,lots of athletic tape on my palms and busted out 3 days solid in a row of endless runs top to bottom, front to back, etc. There has not been a single day I wasn't hovering at the plus/minus of 30 runs. When you drive 12 hours, you don't bich and moan. You pound out run after run and then tape the raw spots and pound out more.

All us Southies were riding your trails til closing time every day! Every afternoon without fail, I'd either be riding with or crossing paths with guys from down here refusing to quit.
:shakefist:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco

As for Diablo's lift. I've ridden there twice now at US Opens, with brand new brake pads,lots of athletic tape on my palms and busted out 3 days solid in a row of endless runs top to bottom, front to back, etc. There has not been a single day I wasn't hovering at the plus/minus of 30 runs. When you drive 12 hours, you don't bich and moan. You pound out run after run and then tape the raw spots and pound out more.

All us Southies were riding your trails til closing time every day! Every afternoon without fail, I'd either be riding with or crossing paths with guys from down here refusing to quit.
:shakefist:
Ha ha, ya went I raced the open it was a 14 hour drive roughly. By the second day my hands were bleeding all over from the grips, and still did a 20+ day after that. I remember i'd have to pry my left hand off the bars with my right hand by the final day. When you live in chicago every lift acces run is precious. I don't know if I'll ever get away from that mindset.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
dumbest thing i've ever read.
Tell that to all the people I've seen injured because they were (in a number of cases self admittedly) too tired to keep riding, yet they did anyways. Hell it's happened to me, it's happened to a lot of my friends, and I've seen it happen to random strangers.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Tell that to all the people I've seen injured because they were (in a number of cases self admittedly) too tired to keep riding, yet they did anyways.
if they cant tell when theyve had enough, then its their fault they got hurt.
just because the lift is running, doesnt mean you have to keep riding it

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Tell that to all the people I've seen injured because they were (in a number of cases self admittedly) too tired to keep riding, yet they did anyways. Hell it's happened to me, it's happened to a lot of my friends, and I've seen it happen to random strangers.
come on bro really? i thought you were smarter than this...

-rep

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
come on bro really? i thought you were smarter than this...

-rep
Hey sorry not everyone is a pinner the first time they swing their leg over a bike. ;) :weee:

Fact of the matter is, faster lift makes it possible to do more runs in a day. Not everyone has the stamina to bang out 20~30+ runs in a day, or the experience to know when to call it a day. Am I blaming the lifts or trying to imply that a faster lift is bad? Absolutely not, and its naive to assume that I was. All I'm saying is you gotta be mindful of it because it can catch up with you.*

*Bear in mind, this doesn't apply to a lot (if not most) of the people on this board. This holds true moreso for people who don't ride on a regular basis, or are new to downhill. Not everyone who visits Diablo is fortunate enough to get 2 or more days of lift access riding in on a weekly basis.

edit: Just to clarify, my comment is only intended to serve as a heads up - and is more directed towards less experienced riders. It's a matter of personal responsibility, knowing what your limits are, and listening to your body so you know when to call it a day before you get too fatigued to ride safely.

Last edited:

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Diablo is over rated and played out, it's fun for the first 20 days but once the U.S. Open is over the trail crew gives up and everything goes to ****. If it wasn't so convenient I would never go.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Diablo is over rated and played out, it's fun for the first 20 days but once the U.S. Open is over the trail crew gives up and everything goes to ****. If it wasn't so convenient I would never go.
Yeah, we get it. You've been telling everyone that every chance you get for 3 years now. If I was Shawn I'd tell you to piss off and go home and wouldn't sell you a lift ticket or a pass. maybe you need to learn some lessons the hard way?

I wish Diablo was more convenient, I'd split my time between there and Bromont and could actually ride with the other half of my friends who I otherwise only see at races.

Yuroshek, you and the boys need to spend a long weekend up here this summer. Bromont, epic xc trails, swimming holes, college town, and not a fist pump in sight.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
It can't be argued that after the U.S. Open the trails pretty much get neglected by the trail crew. I know you love to spread your vast e-knowledge but in this case you have nothing to argue, it's a fact. When everything is wet and fresh in the spring it's a lot of fun.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
My last two injuries @ Diablo have happened on the first and second runs of the day...so, is your theory blown?

I think you have a much bigger chance getting hurt after the twelfth beer or twelfth bong hit then the twelfth DH run...

-ska todd