Quantcast

Diabolus or Saint?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I'm looking to upgrade my stock Hussfelt's. Looking for Monkey knowledge.

Also, I am running an XT front and rear and an e13 DRS, in case that matters...

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
stinkyboy said:
Can I run my XT with a Saint?
Nope sure can't it isn't saint... sorry, wont work. ( :rolleyes: oh wait.. they haven't made everything proprietary yet)

Just kidding.. your XT front der will work just dandy with the saint cranks.

I'm an anti shimano person, but honestly my saint cranks are freakin nice. One bonus I have noticed is that I like the feeling of 100mm BB shell on bikes, and I have a 73mm on mine, but with the external bearings and super thick cranks it feels stupid close to how a 100mm BB feels with ISIS cranks.

I have no riding info on the raceface, other than they look dead sexy too!

As stated earlier... flip a coin...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
If you're generally a 'good' person, I'd go with the saints and paint them rootbeer...

If you're a 'bad' person, I'd go with the Diabolus and paint them pink (it's the new black)...

;)

Actually, I have a set of Diabolus cranks, and they're superb...Like the pinch bolt design of the Saints a little better (as my cranks did loosen up once, but just a little play which was solved by *gasp* tightening the 8 mm bolt). However, I've also seen (not e-hearsay) several bad batches of outboard bearings on XT cranks (i.e. the seals keep water out about as well as Steve Peat keeps himself out of bars) and read about some similar stories regarding the Saints - although it seems those are isolated incidents...The Diabolus offers the spacer system which allows you to adjust for chainguides and improve the driveline - pretty neat feature IMO...Diabolus also have the steel insert threads for the pedals, but I think the Shimanos have those now as well...I'd say they're about equal in burliness and stiffness, so I think it comes down to how important the chainline spacers are to you and whether or not you actually check you bolt tightness every few months...If the spacers aren't a big deal and you never look at your cranks after install, then the Saints seem like the way to go...Otherwise, Diabolus...

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
hm, i've held the saint and the diablous in my hands and the saint feels wayyy heavier.
i'd still say diablous. cause everything on it is replacable. the saint spindle is apart of the arm. it breaks you need new arm and such.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
my friend just bought cranks for his steelhead.... those things are facking sick, i think i may kill him and covit his cranks...

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
dirtjumpP.1 said:
why didnt they give numbers to show that their cranks failed past the point of failure on the saints?
Because....they don't want to lie ;)

What I found funny was the Saint cranks he was holding lacked the bb axle.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
sleepinggiant said:
I would love to see someone break saint cranks. Those things are so fvckin' strong.
or if you mess up a install you can get a new axle put in on the raceface. you have to buy a whole new crank for the saint.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
DHS said:
or if you mess up a install you can get a new axle put in on the raceface. you have to buy a whole new crank for the saint.
How in the hell could you mess up installation on a pair of Saint cranks? They are idiot proof. Slide the right side arm/spindle through the BB, slide on the left arm (it will only go on one way-can't misalign), load the bearings with the end cap, and tighten the pinch bolts.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
dude people are dumb. plain and simple. you would be suprised at what people can mess up. just walk into a bike shop and look at what he mechanic is working on (unless he's building a bike thats going on the floor).

ohh and go diablous all the way. raceface is just better looking and you get the kool flames. saints are plane dull and gray. noone likes to be boring and unoriginal. and diablous are stronger.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
me89 said:
ohh and go diablous all the way. raceface is just better looking and you get the kool flames. saints are plane dull and gray. noone likes to be boring and unoriginal. and diablous are stronger.
Plain dull and grey they may be but unoriginal they are not. The Shimano Hollowtech II system was in place before RaceFace/Truvativ/FSA released/copied the ouboard-bearing design.

I have a set of SAINT cranks on all my bikes. The oldest one being almost 3 years old, it still performs as well as the day I installed them.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Fonzie18 said:
Plain dull and grey they may be but unoriginal they are not. The Shimano Hollowtech II system was in place before RaceFace/Truvativ/FSA released/copied the ouboard-bearing design.
Sonny, Shimano doesn't have any original thoughts period - the crank system was around 10 years before Shimano had them on the market...

Sweetparts had their steel 2-piece version (sweetwings) in the mid nineties with external outboard bearings - they weighed 5 grams more than "innovative" "new" xtr (haha, shimano innovate - yeah right!). They were some of the stiffest cranks you could buy then - I had a pair on my 95 Marin Indian Firetrail. I traded them to a LBS owner in 97 or 98 for free brand new interloc tubular steel cranks when I got a frame they wouldn't fit. They also had a ti version, but I don't remember the weight. They were very labor intensive, had some teething issues, and Sweetparts went out of business :(

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
syadasti said:
Sonny, Shimano doesn't have any original thoughts period - the crank system was around 10 years before Shimano had them on the market...

Sweetparts had their steel 2-piece version (sweetwings) in the mid nineties with external outboard bearings - they weighed 5 grams more than "innovative" "new" xtr (haha, shimano innovate - yeah right!). They were some of the stiffest cranks you could buy then - I had a pair on my 95 Marin Indian Firetrail. I traded them to a LBS owner in 97 or 98 for free brand new interloc tubular steel cranks when I got a frame they wouldn't fit. They also had a ti version, but I don't remember the weight. They were very labor intensive, had some teething issues, and Sweetparts went out of business :(

Ok...
The sweetparts cranks were great, there are 2 sets sitting in my shop and I still look at them and think of how far ahead of it's time they truely were. Even though they were one of many outboard-bearing design bottom brackets that were available before my time ( I guess I was like 5 years old back then) they were not very successful because of their flaws. Shimano being the inovative company that they are, decided to bring the design back and perfect it...which they did when they released the Hollowtech2 system. Trust me, they were aware of previous designs. I guess what I was trying to say is that the Hollowtech II came before X-types and Mega-Exos of FSA and RAceface.

As for Shimano not having original thoughts.....I won't get into that :dancing:

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Saint might not have as much fine-tuning adjustment, but the pinchbolt setup is superior, and the whole system is idiot-proof.
CNC cranks belong in the 90's... forging is where it's at.

RobsterCrw

Chimp
May 13, 2005
Palo Alto, CA
Who cares about who came up with what? I got saints because it cost me $50 less and they are a little lighter. The Race faces look really pimp but the Saint single also looks sick. The double ring saint doesn't look that great.

Watching that test video I was pretty impressed with the force it took to bust the saint cranks. I mean my saints are stiff, they don't bend like they did in that video from your average 6' drop. That took a lot of force.

As long as there are no flaws inherent in the design, there is no big reason to love or hate either the saints or the raceface. They both go above and beyond. I'm not a fan of shimano, I recently ditched their brakes, shifters, chain, and rear derailuer for Hope and SRAM gear, respectively.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Fonzie18 said:

I have a set of SAINT cranks on all my bikes. The oldest one being almost 3 years old, it still performs as well as the day I installed them.
didnt saint stuff come out in 2003? so how could the cranks be 3 years old?

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
Castle said:
That has got to be one of the coolest jobs, I mean you get to break stuff all day. I don't really care either that they don't give any numbers or show their stuff breaking cause I'm sure its just as strong.

Oh and I'd go with the Diabolus over the Saints because they engineer, manufacture, and test their stuff in the coolest city in the world IMO.

MDBullit

Monkey
Sep 8, 2004
Bethesda, MD
jackalope said:
If you're a 'bad' person, I'd go with the Diabolus and paint them pink (it's the new black)...
funny that you should mention that, since I have owned a few sets, one of them black, and the anodizing on that one faded so the inset part of the left arm was pink. Not sure why, maybe the sun did it. But it's pink now.

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
The Saints suck. Shimano sucks. All cranks Shimano makes SUCK. I ran the XT's for 3 years and warranteed them every year for a loose spider. They had no problem giving me a new(2000) set every year-I guess there is a warehouse full of 'em. I've had friends turning in their Saint cranks in as well. It's not a solid spider-arm like Race Face's. Less points to fail. I guess if you weigh less than 160 they might work. I am running the R/F and lovin' it.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
well i would say the xts are just a bit lower than the saints.... and your lame ass generalizations arent wanted here.... please return to pinkbike

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
Hey, sorry to hurt your feelings. I was trying to be as specific as possible. Have you ever had warranty issues with the big 'S'?
If not--
Shut the f__k up!

p.s. I'm not trying to be a di#k, I was just watching Chappelle's show.
The one where he was 'Black Bush'. He told the U.N. to sanction him with their army---whoops, no army. So shut the f__k up!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
He is sort of right. Shimano will warrenty anything. But on the other hand its a big company. I thought I heard that people had problems with the Diabolus getting loose.... ;)

Both are quality cranks and many people have never had problems with even XTs. It all depends on how you ride.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
Turd Ferguson said:
Hey, sorry to hurt your feelings. I was trying to be as specific as possible. Have you ever had warranty issues with the big 'S'?
If not--
Shut the f__k up!
you really cant base an opinion on saint cranks on your experiance with xts. have you even riddin a set?

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Why do people critisize Shimano products based on that they do not want to dash out money for the right category of cranks ? If I notice that Alivio cranks are soft riding DH am I then entitled to claim that DA and Saints are soft as well ?