Quantcast

Dialing in a woman's DH bike - specifically NORCO

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by bizutch, Apr 1, 2013.

1. bizutch

bizutch Delicate CUSTOM flower

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 8
    Buddy and his lady got new DH bikes. Her's is a small and she is lightweight. It's got a 300lb spring on an X Fusion rear and the front is a Rock Shox Domain. I'd say she's maybe 115? Frame is Norco Aurum.

What are their options to soften up the boingers on that bad boy? Any clue what is available. I don't have the time to research this stuff for them, but I want to point them in the right direction to get the bike as dialed in as possible.
    The more peeps riding big rigs, the better. :thumb:

I have NO experience with those two dampers or the leverage on that rear end. Had her sit on it in their drive and it doesn't look like it's at 25-30% sag, even with the preload collar spun all the way out.

#1 -   Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013

Please register to disable this ad.

2. scottishmark

scottishmark Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    16 / 20
    For the rear spring rate I'd start here: http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/spring_calculator.aspx

For the Domain I'd be dropping you local TF equivalent an email to see what they'd recommend. Get her actually weight though before doing anything though as, even though I'v no doubt that an expert will drop in here in 2mins, you can't do much without the basic info.

#2 -   Apr 1, 2013
  3. kazlx

kazlx Patches O'Houlihan

Rep/Likes:
    149 / 1,290
    Smaller kids and women seem to do better with an air shock IMO. I'm guessing the 300lb spring is too heavy for her.

Edit: Looks to calculate out to about a 200lb spring. Not sure if those are even available...

#3 -   Apr 1, 2013
  4. scottishmark

Rep/Likes:
    16 / 20
    Manitou do down to a 150lbs/in for a 3 inch stroke. I assume the Aurum is 3"?

#4 -   Apr 1, 2013
  5. dropmachine

dropmachine Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 10
    Air shocks.

#5 -   Apr 1, 2013
  6. scottishmark

Rep/Likes:
    16 / 20
    Why bother if the correct springs are available? (Which admittedly, for the fork at least, they might not be)

#6 -   Apr 1, 2013
  7. dytrdr5

dytrdr5 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I am sure you can find a suitable rear spring, but even if you could find a x-soft spring for the domain no women who is 115lbs wants to lift a 7.5lb fork. It would be much easier using an air fork like the boxxer air or even a Talas 180. I know this because my wife is 108 lbs and setting up her wilson took some time and patience and switching to a lighter fork really helped her.

#7 -   Apr 1, 2013
  8. dropmachine

dropmachine Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 10
    Coils are heavier. Coils aren't as adjustable, and finding the exact spring rate that shes going to love is going to be super difficult.

Just go air, and call it a day. She'll be happy, and it will work perfectly for her.

#8 -   Apr 1, 2013
  9. al-irl

al-irl Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    id totally agree with the air fork on the front. Have an air totem on my other halfs bike and shes pretty similar in weight. Most women dont have half the upper body strength of your average guy so the lighter the better. The Xsoft spring will probably get the right sag for her but she will more than likely struggle with the weight of the domains. An older boxxer world cup might be an option that wouldnt cost too much to change to. Stick with the coil on the back just use the tftunned guide as above and stick the correct spring on there. However if money is no object then the new 40 floats and a ccdb air would be the solution.

#9 -   Apr 1, 2013
  10. jonKranked

jonKranked Press Button, Receive Stupid

Rep/Likes:
    378 / 3,683
    Butch has obviously come to terms with his inner woman, and is finally building a bike to match his abilities

11. bizutch

bizutch Delicate CUSTOM flower

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 8
    If I needed those type of references, I'd simply google your preffered settings and be truly dialed in.

12. kidwoo

kidwoo Celebrating No-Pants Day

Rep/Likes:
    158 / 1,505
    Holy crap John! You gonna take that. He just totally BURNED you bro!

vivid air with a light tune yo

13. OGRipper

OGRipper Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 103
    I agree, plus things like stiction and other complaints about air shocks are less of an issue at lower pressures.

Unless of course you don't think she's worth it... :D