Quantcast

Dialing in a woman's DH bike - specifically NORCO

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Buddy and his lady got new DH bikes. Her's is a small and she is lightweight. It's got a 300lb spring on an X Fusion rear and the front is a Rock Shox Domain. I'd say she's maybe 115? Frame is Norco Aurum.

What are their options to soften up the boingers on that bad boy? Any clue what is available. I don't have the time to research this stuff for them, but I want to point them in the right direction to get the bike as dialed in as possible.
The more peeps riding big rigs, the better. :thumb:

I have NO experience with those two dampers or the leverage on that rear end. Had her sit on it in their drive and it doesn't look like it's at 25-30% sag, even with the preload collar spun all the way out.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Smaller kids and women seem to do better with an air shock IMO. I'm guessing the 300lb spring is too heavy for her.

Edit: Looks to calculate out to about a 200lb spring. Not sure if those are even available...

Last edited:

dytrdr5

Chimp
Feb 10, 2010
I am sure you can find a suitable rear spring, but even if you could find a x-soft spring for the domain no women who is 115lbs wants to lift a 7.5lb fork. It would be much easier using an air fork like the boxxer air or even a Talas 180. I know this because my wife is 108 lbs and setting up her wilson took some time and patience and switching to a lighter fork really helped her.

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Coils are heavier. Coils aren't as adjustable, and finding the exact spring rate that shes going to love is going to be super difficult.

Just go air, and call it a day. She'll be happy, and it will work perfectly for her.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
id totally agree with the air fork on the front. Have an air totem on my other halfs bike and shes pretty similar in weight. Most women dont have half the upper body strength of your average guy so the lighter the better. The Xsoft spring will probably get the right sag for her but she will more than likely struggle with the weight of the domains. An older boxxer world cup might be an option that wouldnt cost too much to change to. Stick with the coil on the back just use the tftunned guide as above and stick the correct spring on there. However if money is no object then the new 40 floats and a ccdb air would be the solution.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Coils are heavier. Coils aren't as adjustable, and finding the exact spring rate that shes going to love is going to be super difficult.

Just go air, and call it a day. She'll be happy, and it will work perfectly for her.
I agree, plus things like stiction and other complaints about air shocks are less of an issue at lower pressures.

Unless of course you don't think she's worth it... :D