dialup? hello its 2006

type of connection?

• Total voters

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
johnbryanpeters said:
1) Satellite won't reliably support VPN connections, which I need for when I'm on call.

2) When hell freezes over. I like my li'l 75 acre spread.
Sounds like we're in the same boat. I can't get high speed simply because it's not available in my area. Which means that there aren't a lot of people in my area. Which in my eyes is good. :cool:

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I'm on dial up at home, but I've been seriously considering switching to the Yahoo/SBC DSL thing for like $20 a month. My only hitch in that is SBC's plan to either make people pay for things like using Google or charge Google.......something like that I don't have the details but if it's the case I won't be using them for my broadband.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Andyman_1970 said:
I'm on dial up at home, but I've been seriously considering switching to the Yahoo/SBC DSL thing for like $20 a month. My only hitch in that is SBC's plan to either make people pay for things like using Google or charge Google.......something like that I don't have the details but if it's the case I won't be using them for my broadband.
Yahoo SBC is the worst. (At least in my own experience)

Go with cable if you can.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
bluebug32 said:
I was spoiled with broadband in college, so now I have Optimum's Triple Play with a cable modem. Though I'd much rather sock 100 bucks into my bike each month, it's the best deal I could find for phone, internet and cable.
Good point. I am enjoying the unlimited voice over modem style phone service.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
TreeSaw said:
Broadband is quite expensive where I live (and only offered by 1 carrier). I have it now because I can write it off...otherwise, I would probably still have dial-up.
Shouldn't you be making a baby right now?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If WiMax ever catches on, then it won't be an issue in about a year. But for now, there are a lot of places around here that can only get dial up unless you want to try satellite broadband. I have never used it, but have been told it can suck AND be expensive, at least right now.

motomike said:
Sounds like we're in the same boat. I can't get high speed simply because it's not available in my area. Which means that there aren't a lot of people in my area. Which in my eyes is good. :cool:
yeah dat.

However:

Egged on by this thread, I borrowed my boss' AirCard, a wireless rig he got from Verizon, and I'm now sitting at home connected at about 800 KB, even with our moderately bad reception.

The downside is that they only offer it in PCMCIA, being that they assume that you'll be using it in a laptop. I would need either to find an adapter that lets me use the card in a desktop or find an equivalent device and figure out how to install and configure it - I want to provide connection sharing between Hilarie's desktop and mine.

Getting Verizon to admit that they offer the service is also a major pain in the ass.

We'll see where all this leads to, probably in the next month or so.

J

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
johnbryanpeters said:
yeah dat.

However:

Egged on by this thread, I borrowed my boss' AirCard, a wireless rig he got from Verizon, and I'm now sitting at home connected at about 800 KB, even with our moderately bad reception.

The downside is that they only offer it in PCMCIA, being that they assume that you'll be using it in a laptop. I would need either to find an adapter that lets me use the card in a desktop or find an equivalent device and figure out how to install and configure it - I want to provide connection sharing between Hilarie's desktop and mine.

Getting Verizon to admit that they offer the service is also a major pain in the ass.

We'll see where all this leads to, probably in the next month or so.

J
You can get pcmcia adapters fairly cheap for desktops. $21 for the one below.

example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815124021

As for sharing, you will need to setup intenet connection sharing on your primary machine, and run a crossover cable out to the wife's machine. Fairly simple.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
I have SBC Yahoo DSL and so far no issues been about 6 months. When the contract runs out and or i move next I may look into other alternatives. Clearwire and a couple other wireless providers are starting to pop up. The only reason I have DSL is because i have satellite for TV just trying to consolidate bills. plus it is a write off because of my home office.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
jdschall said:
I have dialup at home but it's free through work. It's slow but I can't complain.

Same here...it is slow and I do complain somtimes but until I can find cable for less than 30 bucks a month I'll be on dail up...I looked into the Yahoo/DSL bit, but they don't offer service in my area...D