Quantcast

Diamondback prototype DH

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
All non drive side accessed bolts is a turn of genius. Looks like it will be a dialled bike when it's ready

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
All non drive side accessed bolts is a turn of genius. Looks like it will be a dialled bike when it's ready
I remember I had a first gen. Cuervo and they drilled holes on the drive side to remove the shock, but the cranks would get in the way...

Seems intuitive to do it this way.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Hey...shouldn't you be out tweaking that bike? No time for relaxing or leaving comments on the innerweb...get your ass back out there!
Haha, will do! Actually most of the tweaking is done for this round and we're just waiting for the next bike. Hopefully we can put together another bike check showing what has changed and why. I'd like to show both what we like and what we dislike. I don't think the general public has any idea how many details get changed on these bikes during the prototype phases.

I'll have the bike down at Sea Otter, but I'll probally be racing a smaller bike.

-KT

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I was JUST going to ask if they were going to do a breakdown between each phase.

The top tube is similar to the first gen Evil Revolt...which had issues apparently? I personally LOVE the bend without any gussets or tubes. I absolutely DESPISE seat tube gussets. I wish companies would just cut the seat tube off an inch above the TTs and we could just run a tad longer seatpost. Would take some design tweaks on most bikes, but looks like this Diamond back is pretty close.

Im on a TR450 myself, and this linkage has similar traits...but one thing I'd like to see for BOTH bikes is a clean cover for the linkage. I think Santa Cruz has a carbon "lid" for theirs, I like the idea. I made a neoprene one for mine, found it would get heavy when wet/dirty, lay flat on the linkage, then just start piling up with 10lbs of mud. So maybe a solid cover with a domed shape..

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Besides sharing the name, DBUSA and DBUK are separate companies. Most companies have one office and have distributers throughout the worlds, but DBUK is it's own company with separate product line, design, marketing, sponsorship etc. There is still some connection between the two that I haven't quite figured out, but from what I've been told, they are essentially two separate companies.

-KT

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
I was JUST going to ask if they were going to do a breakdown between each phase.

The top tube is similar to the first gen Evil Revolt...which had issues apparently? I personally LOVE the bend without any gussets or tubes. I absolutely DESPISE seat tube gussets. I wish companies would just cut the seat tube off an inch above the TTs and we could just run a tad longer seatpost. Would take some design tweaks on most bikes, but looks like this Diamond back is pretty close.

Im on a TR450 myself, and this linkage has similar traits...but one thing I'd like to see for BOTH bikes is a clean cover for the linkage. I think Santa Cruz has a carbon "lid" for theirs, I like the idea. I made a neoprene one for mine, found it would get heavy when wet/dirty, lay flat on the linkage, then just start piling up with 10lbs of mud. So maybe a solid cover with a domed shape..
Hopefully we can show more of what changes are made along the way. Maybe I'm just a geek, but I've always found the manufacturing and production aspects of most products to be really interesting.

The top tube is a similar design to the original revolt. I keep checking this one but I haven't seen any issues. I don't think the Evil's cracked from poor design, but from production issues. I doubt there will be an issue with this frame, it's solid. One of the things you have to do with prototypes is constantly look over them for any cracking issues and so far I haven't found any dispite my repeated attempts to huck to flat :)

We're looking into how to do a fender for the bike. The linkage is changing for the next round to have more mud clearance, but a fender would really help with that. Living in the Pacific Northwest and having to carry my bikes across my light colored living room carpet after every ride makes clean-ability really high on my priority list!

-KT

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I geekout as bad or worse than the next guy, this will be sweet!

Be cool to stuff like internal cable routing(or atleast as an option for those willing to rebleed brake lines after rouing).
Nice clean rear axle system, no maxle stuff, lower frame rock protection, and sweet paint.
And it seems like the list of simple-but-effective frames are really rolling out these days, and for a nice price too...so hopefully they keep that in mind when they tag these things...
I'm watchin!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Ah... the reminds me...if there's going to be integrated fork bumpers on the frame, make them slotted and adjustable. Bit of a difference between a 40 and a 32mm Boxxer...

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
Ah... the reminds me...if there's going to be integrated fork bumpers on the frame, make them slotted and adjustable. Bit of a difference between a 40 and a 32mm Boxxer...
yeah, BOS are different, too... should be a mandatory feature for every DH frame manufacturer!