Quantcast

Did anyone catch this West Nile Virus story?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
West Nile confirmed in Western Wash. horses

Cookson Beecher
Washington State Staff Writer

Two horses in Snohomish County, Wash., have been confirmed to be infected with West Nile virus. Both of them, a Hafflingler mare and a foal, were imported from Europe and placed in a holding facility in California before being brought to Washington.

Animal health officials believe that the horses, which are now recovering, became infected with the virus while in California.

They arrived in California in June and were transported to Washington in mid-July. On July 18, they received their first West Nile vaccination.

Positive test results for the disease were reported by the Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory in Pullman.

Washington state veterinarian Leonard Eldridge said the two recent cases of the virus in horses in the state is a reminder that horse owners should vaccinate their horses.

“We’re already into the mosquito season,” he said, “but now may still be a good time to act because the vaccine requires two doses three to six weeks apart, and immunity will not be achieved until five weeks after the second vaccine.”

In addition to horses, West Nile affects mules, donkeys and other equines much more often than other domestic animals. Most horses do not become ill and show no symptoms at all.

About one-third of the horses that become ill with the virus die. Symptoms include a lost of appetite, loss of coordination, confusion, head pressing, fever stiffness and muscle weakness.

Veterinarians and horse owners should report potential cases of the disease in horses and other equine animals by calling the state veterinarian’s office at (360) 902-1878.

The virus, which primarily infects birds, horses and people, is spread by the bite of an infected mosquito. Mosquitoes become infected when they feed on infected birds. Because birds migrate, they carry the virus from region to region.

No other cases of the virus, either in humans, birds or horses, have been reported this year in Washington.

Donn Moyer, spokesman for the Washington State Health Department, said 218 dead birds have been tested this year, none of which had the virus. In addition, a dozen resident horses have been tested, none of which had the virus.

Even so, Moyer warns that the disease is probably on its way to Washington. He pointed out that West Nile virus has moved West since it first showed up in the United States in 1999, and that it wasn’t until last year that Oregon and Idaho reported any positives for the disease.

As of this year, West Nile virus has been reported in all states except Hawaii and Alaska. In 2004, the largest number of human cases of the disease reported to CDC occurred in the Western states.

On the horse side of the equation, the only other cases of West Nile virus reported in Washington occurred in 2002.

The first horse to test positive in 2002 was a Danish Warmblood stabled on Whidbey Island that came down with the virus in mid-October. The second was an 18-year-old Tennessee Walker stabled north of Bellingham that came down with the virus on Nov. 19.

Prevention

People can minimize the threat of the virus by controlling mosquitoes and preventing horses from being exposed to adult mosquitoes. Some protective measures include changing the water in livestock troughs, fountains, birdbaths and wading pools weekly during mosquito season.

Horse owners are also encouraged to drain or treat stagnant water, mow grass and weeds, and put up screens to protect homes and stables from mosquitoes.

Another preventive measure is to stable horses at night. Repellents and insecticides should be used only according to label directions.

The state’s Agriculture Department also advises people not to drain or fill in wetlands, as they provide benefits that far outweigh the small chance of contracting the virus.

More information is available at www.cdc.gov/westnile, agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalHealth/Diseases/WestNileVirus/default.htm, or www.doh.wa.gov/WNV.

Cookson Beecher is based in Sedro-Woolley, Wash. Her e-mail address is cbeecher@capitalpress.com.

Great now I am going to freak every time I get bit....well more than I already do. :D

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
ioscope said:
That happened a while ago too didn't it?
As far as I know this was the first time showing up in WA state.....and the article says mid July. Is that old news already? :think: Geesh the internet generation these days.....lol

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
haha I had it from the Winthrop race in May 2003. Bloodwork comfirmed. The race was end of may and it took hold about 3-4 weeks later. Just in time for finals (WWU). It was great. I had a 104 fever, hives, swollen lymph nodes, back, neck and head pain and I thought I was just good old fashioned "sick". When I told the doc I thought I had west nile (I had every single symptom) he said, "Well I don't think you have meningitis." great, thanks doc. Bloodwork from two months later confirmed I have the antibodies. woo hoo!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Transfer said:
haha I had it from the Winthrop race in May 2003. Bloodwork comfirmed. The race was end of may and it took hold about 3-4 weeks later. Just in time for finals (WWU). It was great. I had a 104 fever, hives, swollen lymph nodes, back, neck and head pain and I thought I was just good old fashioned "sick". When I told the doc I thought I had west nile (I had every single symptom) he said, "Well I don't think you have meningitis." great, thanks doc. Bloodwork from two months later confirmed I have the antibodies. woo hoo!
Wow! Yeah Winthrop skeeters can get vicious. Never heard of your expereience. Was it news worthyy back then? I thought the WNV hadn't been found in WA until recently....like it was touted as one of the few that haven't had a case (I think as of last year)

I would assume doctors would have reported it....right? :confused:

How long did the symptoms last? Can they give anything to you for it?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
WNV is something we've had to worry about here in VA for a couple of years now. I seem to recall that those most in danger of experiencing life-threatening symptoms are the elderly. Most experience flu-like symptoms, if any. Keep a can of Off! in the car and one in the house. Spray a bit before you go out for an extended period and you should be fine.

Have you guys started seeing these stripey mosquitoes?

They're called Asian Tiger Mosquitoes, or something. From what I've read, they're more likely to carry WNV. The problem is, they're more aggressive and don't need standing water to reproduce. :dead:

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
I saw my doctor but he was out of town and the other doc didn't seem to interested in my case (didn't believe me). I was contacted by the health department however, who wanted details but I don't know if they received record of my blood test. It was in a health care providers report at one point as a possible case.