Quantcast

Did anyone go to Diabloween?

ride4fun

Monkey
May 23, 2008
Long Island
Couldn't make it yesterday or today and wanted to know if they had a big turnout and some of the prizes that were given away :D

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
well, yesterday was sort of a bummed out day for me. It was misting and raining on/off. At the end, the trails were miserable.

As for the festivities, the jump jams were not as good as past years.
the manhunt was a disaster for me. got there late and stuck to the one trail that nobody found one on yet--->twist. i walked up and down it for maybe 3 hrs. along with some other people once in a while. they think someone just didnt tell diablo about the find.

and so that ruined my day since i could have ridden other trails or watched some more jams instead of being on the same trail for hours.

and the prizes, a jamis frameset, 3 year seasonn pass, shimano saint stuff, and some stuff from the shop. bad day.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
well, yesterday was sort of a bummed out day for me. It was misting and raining on/off. At the end, the trails were miserable.

As for the festivities, the jump jams were not as good as past years.
the manhunt was a disaster for me. got there late and stuck to the one trail that nobody found one on yet--->twist. i walked up and down it for maybe 3 hrs. along with some other people once in a while. they think someone just didnt tell diablo about the find.

and so that ruined my day since i could have ridden other trails or watched some more jams instead of being on the same trail for hours.

and the prizes, a jamis frameset, 3 year seasonn pass, shimano saint stuff, and some stuff from the shop. bad day.
ive heard similar, o well, always next year.:thumb:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Saturday was good for me. It was pissing rain all day pretty much... but it was still fun. I was one of the pieces of the dragon. Ya, we looked on twist too and couldn't find a doll either...

It was my second time at diablo all year (U.S. Open before) and it was fun to ride those trails again.

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
I'm sorry, but I guess it's all what you make of it. Weather conditions weren't the best, but my buddies and I had an awesome time playing the Manhunt game and had to applaud anyone willing to throw down on a set of muddy tabletops. Seemed like a lot of people were having a pretty good time, too. I don't think it's surprising that by a couple hours into the day almost all the dolls were picked...lot of smart folks figuring out the clues.

The only downside to the whole day was watching that fella Brad faceplant off Covenant...does anyone know how this guy is doing? He definitely looked pretty messed up from the fall.

I'd say it was a great closing weekend, and shows that regardless of less-than-optimal riding conditions, it's not hard to have fun.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Rode Sunday pretty casually and had a good time. Definitely a shame to see the ambulance right as I was getting there. Also kept hearing stories about the crash on Saturday. Hope that all turned out ok there. Scary.

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
I had a blast both days. I actually liked riding in the mud on Sat... but the trails were much better sunday. The "last run" that Gorge & crew set up was excellent, as usual.

Very good closing to a great season.

Ill have a few vids on my youtube account this week.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
yeah dude, with Halloween falling on a Saturday it was an easy choice for me... Stay home and take the kids Trick Or Treating and to the Haunted house.....

Unfortunately i would have loved to capture the riding, and jumping and tricks..... sorry i could not make it....

Over all (with my shoulder injury and all) i had a great season... over 19 visits.... i'm happy....

See u guys next year!!!!!

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
The only downside to the whole day was watching that fella Brad faceplant off Covenant...does anyone know how this guy is doing? He definitely looked pretty messed up from the fall.

Heres no more pics of the poor guy. Hope he heals up quick.

Last edited:

AtomikMan

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
United States of America
Many things to say;

The weatherman fu*ked up the forecast royally this weekend, but I had a feeling that would happen.

Saturday was (honestly) pretty sh*tty riding conditions. Longer than the US Open lift lines, lots of leaves on the (everything but the main) trails, slippery conditions. No, not the worst I've ever seen, but if it wasn't for the "manhunt" I would have stayed home.

Lips on Lower Dom were the best I've EVER seen, early in the day. However, by the end, they were gettin' pretty rutted out. However, with the rain and the traffic, it was to be expected.

I found one of the dolls. Being the second person up the lift at 8:45 am, I should have found more, but I got a case of Red Bull, none-the-less. Whoopee! :rolleyes: Andrew had the balls to ride Stigmata in the wet and got a 3 year season pass. (On a side note: I walked that trail before him and couldn't find the doll anywhere, so kudos to him!)

As for the dude who faceplanted on Covenent, I wish him the most speedy and amazing recovery. I've been there and know how bad it sucks to crash THAT hard. I hope to see him on a bike again soon!

However, thumbs down to the dude who posted pics of the guy on Pinkbike.com though.............think about if it was you, would you want the world to see you in that state?!?!?!?!

Sunday's conditions were (for the most part) amazing. The afternoon was sunny and pretty dry. Temps were nice, and Alpine was tacky as hell. Actually, all the main trails were fast as fu*k.

Was bummed to see how many "locals" stayed home this weekend.

41 days at the 'Creek this year, next year will be 42! Already counting the days towards 05/01/10!!!

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I rode on Saturday, conditions were less than pleasant but not too bad. Only the last maybe 3 runs we did was it really getting miserable and extra slick. I wasn't feeling upper Dominion but lower Dominion was running awesome. After riding it several times earlier in the day, I stupidly decided to hit the first wall ride on Alpine again on my last run down and crashed pretty hard, so I decided not to stay and ride Sunday.

Anyone on here see w00dy throw the backflip over the last jump on lower Dominion? Best trick of the day, too bad he wasn't wearing a costume this year.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
His face planted itself into the ground or he tried to push the earth with his face. In any event he learned that faces aren't meant to be put into the ground and the earth is bigger and stronger then him.

Snowflake

Monkey
Aug 10, 2009
Maryland
I didn't think the conditions on Saturday were that bad. First day on a new bike, first time at Diablo, and had a freaking blast! The mist was tolerable, and it was no were near as muddy as I've been riding in all year.. The leaves were quite 'plentiful' in some places, but it could have been worse. In my opinion, the trails were freaking awesome.

Too bad I lost the bead on my rear with only an hour left to ride.. I wasn't near ready for the day to be over!

All in all, freaking awesome experience. :D

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
I didn't think the conditions on Saturday were that bad. First day on a new bike, first time at Diablo, and had a freaking blast! The mist was tolerable, and it was no were near as muddy as I've been riding in all year.. The leaves were quite 'plentiful' in some places, but it could have been worse. In my opinion, the trails were freaking awesome.

Too bad I lost the bead on my rear with only an hour left to ride.. I wasn't near ready for the day to be over!

All in all, freaking awesome experience. :D
Welcome to RM Snowflake :thumb:

Nov 25, 2009
Hey this is Brad. Thanks for all the support. I spent 5 days in the hospitol, had a minor traumatic brain injury(bleeding in my brain), fractured some things in my face and got gravel inbedded in my mouth and face. I don't remember the crash or most of the days in the hospitol. The first couple of weeks after the crash i felt out of it(like i was in a dream). Pretty much sucks. I'm recovering pretty good, its gonna take 6 months to a year to be 100%. Anybody out there freeriding or downhilling if you think you're invincible you're not. I thought that. I've done covenant tons of times clean...just takes one scew up to turn everything upsidedown. I cant even ride any bikes for a year or snowboard cause of this crash and the risk of getting another hit to the head too soon. I'm just saying take it easy and make smart choices when riding. God gave me a wakeup call and i hope you all can take something outta this.
Peace
Brad

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
Great to finally hear from you in person, Brad. You had everyone scared ****less after the hit. For what it's worth, a lot of people were expecting much worse than you sustained (though the damage does sound pretty gnarly), and I think everyone checking in on this thread is breathing a sigh of relief that you weren't paralyzed or permanently handicapped in some way. I don't know if anyone showed you video of the crash, but it wasn't pretty.

Good luck getting back to health, and thanks for the update.