Quantcast

Did BIKE mag become CBD mag?

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Looks like all the articles on the right is about CBD. Must of used all the subscription money to buy CBD stock I guess.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
meh. fuck that shit. i'll stick to mah al-ka-hol. but i might invest a shit ton of money in teh weed. because the boomers and kids both agree: it's suuuuuuuper cooooooool now.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
This makes me a sad panda.

The corporate overlords appear to have totally abandoned the Bikemag property. It's just an ad-serving domain now. My requests to buy Ridemonkey have been rebuffed. Guess pageviews are keeping the lights on for now.

Anyway. I'm going to go eat some Earth's Finest Natural CBD-infused Granola Bars With Added Detoxifiers, which help boost my mood, reduce joint swelling, and reverse the liver cirrhosis that I've gotten from drinking away the crushing pain of existence!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Can you buy a domain like RM.biz or whatever, check up another instance of XenForo, transfer as much stuff as possible and then make the new version private? There is a NZ local MTB forum that has done this and charges like a couple bucks a year just as a nominal fee to stop idiots fucking with it. It’d be good IMO if all we post wasn’t on the public internet.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Can you buy a domain like RM.biz or whatever, check up another instance of XenForo, transfer as much stuff as possible and then make the new version private? There is a NZ local MTB forum that has done this and charges like a couple bucks a year just as a nominal fee to stop idiots fucking with it. It’d be good IMO if all we post wasn’t on the public internet.
spankamonkey.com

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Can we become 420MONKEY?

My brother's old sites all ended up as adult dating ad sites, he had a couple of sites that some perverted Monkeys would have frequented back in the day, I think whaletail even got a mention in a TV show.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I actually own ridemonkey.net, the problem is that I have no access to the databases or file stores (I used to be the server admin but when the most recent corporate buyout happened, they turned that over to their in-house IT team), so transferring is basically not realistic. It'd be a scrap-and-start-fresh. Traffic would plummet because there would be no redirect.

The domain isn't really the issue, we could easily just start on a new domain and I could install XenForo on new servers. Just seems ridiculous that nearly 20 years of data is going to be left to rot.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Some hero needs to write a custom HTML crawler/scraper. :wave:
I can scrape the content (I actually started to do this), but the real hero work would be taking that content, parsing it and putting it back into a database so that it could be imported into a new, interactive site... that would be an appalling amount of work.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I was thinking sort out new passwords and associating those new accounts with content accounts would pretty much have to be manual too.
So, crowdfunding; how much does each Monkey need to pay to get it done? I expect the regulars would be up for it. Let’s face it it seems like days are numbered now.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I was thinking sort out new passwords and associating those new accounts with content accounts would pretty much have to be manual too.
So, crowdfunding; how much does each Monkey need to pay to get it done? I expect the regulars would be up for it. Let’s face it it seems like days are numbered now.
I mean, part of this is that I think it's just infeasible for a reasonable amount of money. All things are possible with enough cash and time, of course, but for someone to properly scrape and then parse all of that content, do whatever ETL is required to put it back into a workable database format, and re-point all of the URLs to new paths would be... intense.

And in any event, I'm sure AMI would be very displeased with the theft of their digital property for as long as RM remains a maintained website. And by displeased, I mean litigious.