Quantcast

Did everyone see that incredible Honda ad?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you haven't, click here to see this amazing advertisement. No computer editing, just real car parts set up in perfect sequence. Even the wheels rolling uphill were real, done with weights on the inside of the rim.

I believe they indicated that they spliced together two sections of video - where the muffler is rolling across the floor. Everything on either side of that was shot in one long sequence.

If you liked that, I stumbled across this:

http://www.pistolwimp.com/media/44210/

Not as impressive, but cool stuff nonetheless!

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
binary visions said:
If you haven't, click here to see this amazing advertisement. No computer editing, just real car parts set up in perfect sequence. Even the wheels rolling uphill were real, done with weights on the inside of the rim.

I believe they indicated that they spliced together two sections of video - where the muffler is rolling across the floor. Everything on either side of that was shot in one long sequence.

If you liked that, I stumbled across this:

http://www.pistolwimp.com/media/44210/

Not as impressive, but cool stuff nonetheless!
omg!! i cannot believe it.
i have out-internetted binary visions. :think:

i´ve seen it before.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ALEXIS_DH said:
omg!! i cannot believe it.
i have out-internetted binary visions. :think:

i´ve seen it before.
Haha... I've got this browser plugin called StumbleUpon, and when you click the button it installs, it takes you to a random website based on some preferences you set. This site just turned up.

The Cog ad is old but is still one of my favorite advertisements ever.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Its fake. It's an American voice but the dashboard has the driver on the right side, which is British...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
sanjuro said:
Its fake. It's an American voice but the dashboard has the driver on the right side, which is British...
uh, we're not at war with the brits. it is possible that they filmed it in england but hired an expat. :rolleyes:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Tenchiro said:
Some of it looked edited, but it was cool.
i have definitely read that it wasn't edited. the tires that seemingly rolled uphill are simple physics: there was a weight inside the tires off the axis. this weight started out at the top of the tire. as it rolled up the ramp the weight moved down. the center of mass of the system moved down even as the tire rolled up, thus no laws of physics were violated. :)

i guess i should have clicked the link first. those japanese ads are awesome! and i hadn't seen them before. i assumed this was all about the honda ad. whoops x 2: uh, i guess i was right. two links = hard to comprehend

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Toshi said:
i have definitely read that it wasn't edited. the tires that seemingly rolled uphill are simple physics: there was a weight inside the tires off the axis. this weight started out at the top of the tire. as it rolled up the ramp the weight moved down. the center of mass of the system moved down even as the tire rolled up, thus no laws of physics were violated. :)

i guess i should have clicked the link first. those japanese ads are awesome! and i hadn't seen them before. i assumed this was all about the honda ad. whoops x 2: uh, i guess i was right. two links = hard to comprehend
Yeah, I meant the Japanese ones.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Tenchiro said:
Yeah, I meant the Japanese ones.
really? i thought those looked legit. nothing physics, magnets, and rubber bands can't do :)

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Toshi said:
really? i thought those looked legit. nothing physics, magnets, and rubber bands can't do :)
It might have been the connection but it looked like the frames skipped in a couple of scenes.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I looked it up, and the Japanese term is Pitagora Suicchi, Pythagorean Machine. I wish they had it on DVD for the kids.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
binary visions said:
Haha... I've got this browser plugin called StumbleUpon, and when you click the button it installs, it takes you to a random website based on some preferences you set. This site just turned up.

The Cog ad is old but is still one of my favorite advertisements ever.
Stumbleupon is great.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Toshi said:
I'll try to keep it simpler next time ;)

The Honda ad was only put there for the uninitiated - that's a few years old - the Japanese clip was the link I just found yesterday.

And I'm mildly addicted to Stumbling now. I've found a lot of cool stuff with it.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
sanjuro said:
I looked it up, and the Japanese term is Pitagora Suicchi, Pythagorean Machine. I wish they had it on DVD for the kids.
Yeah, it's not really Japanese -- just adapted english. Pitagora suicchi = pythagoras switch. You can hear it phonetically if you say it out loud.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I saw that Honda ad a while ago. As I watched the Japanese one, I played Chicken Farm and Goons of Hazard by Dead Kennedys, Rat Salad by Black Sabbath, and Township Rebellion by Rage Against The Machine. Township Rebellion and the beggining of Goons of Hazard were meant for that Japanese one.

If you have any of these songs, try them with it. It makes it even cooler.

This thread makes me want to make and film one. That would take so much time.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ragin-sagin said:
http://www.snopes.com/autos/business/hondacog.asp
damn...I saw it a few years ago and just assumed it was a fake, but perhaps no?
It's not fake. It's been a fairly well publicized ad, and many places have tried to debunk it as fake.

They really did it.

As I said with the muffler bit:

The Honda ad was created without special effects. It was split into two continuous takes only because no studio was big enough to accommodate the entire sequence. The only post-production trickery is the lighting on the car doors at the end.3

The sequence of events in the advert is actually split into two shots — shooting the whole thing in one go would have been too expensive. "It was a damage limitation idea to snip it into two [parts]," says Rob Steiner, head of television at Wieden & Kennedy, the agency responsible for the advert. (Still not found the join? The first section ends and the second one begins at the one minute mark when an exhaust box rolls off to the right of the screen. Some clever editing bridges the two parts.)